Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Vs South

Wikiposts

North Vs South

Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
very funny - all the locals rounds here reckon Houston is a hell hole too - so you're not alone!

i'm not keen on the religious stuff in TN, (esp. the looney baptists ) but you just learn to get on with it...

what i do like is the fact its been in the high 70's a few times recently and even when its cold it doesn't get dreary and depresiing like it does in blighty

insects and humidity is pretty crap

I quite like Nashville because it has got a pretty fun bar scene (as long as you avoid the 'red' bars!) some excellent independent restaurants and the cost of living is relatively cheap - lowest car insurance in the US according to CNN money, pretty cheap petrol, reasonably affordable housing (in nice areas)

knoxville and memphis however, don't really have many redeeming features - knox is very dull and memphis is just pretty nasty
(QUOTE]Originally posted by BritGuyTN
very funny - all the locals rounds here reckon Houston is a hell hole too - so you're not alone!)

lol lol lol so so true.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm feeling pretty confident that the South will be great. All the Brits that live there, that I have had the pleasure of posting with, really like it and highly rate the quality of life they have. I'll get me some industrial strength AC and coat the family in Factor 30 and 'bug-off'

P.S. Really enjoying reading all your replies - this thread has not only stayed on topic but it's positive too
Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:16 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't see it mentioned in my brief scan of the thread but everyone I've met in Texas has been pleasant and nice. Sure, some of the shop slash restaurant employees maybe don't actually give a flying toss how I'm "doing today" or whether I do have a "good one" later on. But it's still nice to hear and better than the service with a snarl I've experienced up North.

I guess it comes down to the quality of people you associate with e.g. our friends are churchgoers but aren't fanatical and don't bash us with bibles for not attending.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:32 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Come on people, everywhere has good and bad and whether you like living in a place is very subjective and personal to you. I loved living in the Fens, hated Sheffield, loved York, hated Pompy. I love living in NC but I live in small town near the beach with very good neighbors, I may not like the triad or Charlotte!

In with the north and south issue you have which city, Boston, NY, Houston, Dallas all have lots of sports teams and such. Where I am there are no pro sports teams - hockey 2 hours drive and NFL 4 hours drive - baseball 7 hours drive.

I think you are being far to general and must look at what you want from the place and what the place offers and see if the twain meet. We could say, Dallas is fantastic, has everything you would ever need, even a village idiot in Yosser. But you get there and its not your cup of tea then we look like asses but more fool us for suggesting a place without knowing anything about you.

The other thing is you might not like living in the USA at all, its not like 2 weeks in Disneyland where one pound buys you almost 2 dollars and you think everything cheap. Until you live here and go "oh crap". The people (for the most part) on here are the people who like the country and stayed. All the people who didn't like it have gone home and shut up.

The only way you will know whether Dallas is a better place to live than ny (or anywhere else in the USA) is to live there, and then ny and compare. We can't tell you crap! I like kevin bacon but dislike footloose!

Patrick
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:35 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

very funny - all the locals rounds here reckon Houston is a hell hole too - so you're not alone!
Been here 18 months, and although I'm getting used to it, it still wouldn't make my top 10 places to live list - hell, I don't think it would make my top 50! Its pretty easy, its reasonably convenient (if you don't mind driving), its pretty safe (out in our commuter la la land) houses are cheap, decent folk, friendly, it just lacks a certain...something... been trying to put my finger on it for a while and can't quite manage it, but theres a spark missing somewhere.

Odd thing is, most of our non-Houston friends (including Dutch, English, Norwegian and Americans from up north) all reckon its fantastic and are dreading the call to move on from their respective companies. Maybe that says it all - most if not all of the non-locals we know are here on secondment, so they know their time is limited, rather than 'permanent' immigrants. I don't personally know anyone who has actually moved here permanently by their own choice!! (apart from us!)
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:48 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

You really can't tell 'til you've tried it, imo. We love Ann Arbor, MI, but from what we hear, pretty much anywhere else in MI would have made us miserable. We got lucky. No matter what the state, it seems there are pockets of sanity and pockets of lunacy -you just need to find your niche.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Been here 18 months, and although I'm getting used to it, it still wouldn't make my top 10 places to live list - hell, I don't think it would make my top 50! Its pretty easy, its reasonably convenient (if you don't mind driving), its pretty safe (out in our commuter la la land) houses are cheap, decent folk, friendly, it just lacks a certain...something... been trying to put my finger on it for a while and can't quite manage it, but theres a spark missing somewhere.

Odd thing is, most of our non-Houston friends (including Dutch, English, Norwegian and Americans from up north) all reckon its fantastic and are dreading the call to move on from their respective companies. Maybe that says it all - most if not all of the non-locals we know are here on secondment, so they know their time is limited, rather than 'permanent' immigrants. I don't personally know anyone who has actually moved here permanently by their own choice!! (apart from us!)
One persons dessert is another person poison.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by monster
You really can't tell 'til you've tried it, imo. We love Ann Arbor, MI, but from what we hear, pretty much anywhere else in MI would have made us miserable. We got lucky. No matter what the state, it seems there are pockets of sanity and pockets of lunacy -you just need to find your niche.
Well said.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
Thought you liked it oop nawf wot where I live?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:41 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I like kevin bacon but dislike footloose!

Patrick
Now, that's just blasphemy!
Old Apr 9th 2004, 7:50 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

whatever - I just noticed you are moving from herts - I made exactly that trip!

i have to say swapping the hertfordshire rivieria (sic) (watford on a saturday night) for live music and pissy beer has been interesting

have to say thougfh, I really do not miss the mondays on the m25/m1

speaking of texans - the few i talk to always impress me with their can-do attitudes - and although whenever i get off the phone with one I start cracking up, i'm sure they do the same!
Old Apr 9th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever - I just noticed you are moving from herts - I made exactly that trip!
Hi,
We're in Goffs Oak/Cuffley. Can't imagine we'll miss it too much but will be interested in taking a drive through it in years to come - see how it's changed etc...
How long have you been out there? Did you move for work/marriage etc??
Old Apr 10th 2004, 8:31 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Been here since July '03 and I came for work and marriage

been pretty reasonable so far...
Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

)

knoxville and memphis however, don't really have many redeeming features - knox is very dull and memphis is just pretty nasty
And there you have it - different strokes for different folks and all that - I absolutely love Memphis and yet I know a few folks who have a dislike of it. Having said that, where I am going is Cordova/Germantown area about 20 miles east of Memphis and is a really nice area with great restaurants (not a lot of bars tho), affordable housing of a really high standard, fairly close to Lake Pickwick (absolutely gorgeous), good shopping blah blah.

I think a lot of the time its people you meet, experiences you have etc when you get there that make a huge difference in forming opinions too - I have always been more than fortunate in the people I have met, opportunities that have come my way etc - I hope I still have that opinion in a few weeks!

Have to say tho - one consideration I didn't think about was the bugs etc - ugh. And here's me that runs screaming from a tidy spider in the bath :scared: not sure how I'll cope with that one! I know the apt I am going to has screens (hehe and your probably laughing to yourselves thinking yeah like that's gonna make a difference lol).

I'm actually getting pretty damn nervous about it all now - I think it's finally sinking in - and of course I had my leaving party last night which left me very emotional and suddenly I am thinking constantly about all the things I love about home - and I'm not even gone yet! I guess it's probably just nerves, particularly because I am going out there alone and starting from scratch. Ah well - hopefully it will be a positive experience!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Been here since July '03 and I came for work and marriage

been pretty reasonable so far...
Excellent! Do you think you will ever move back to Herts or is TN home now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.