Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina - A place to live?

North Carolina - A place to live?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina - A place to live?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
That is none of your business and you know the main purpose of the firearms in my household.
I know nothing ,.....so its quite a lot .,...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I know nothing ,.....so its quite a lot .,...
I'll never have as many as you have in your home!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'll never have as many as you have in your home!
But I dont live in "Safe" NC

and I bet your getting close though ....LOL
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But I dont live in "Safe" NC
So you have nothing to add about NC really?

Have you ever visited NC?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:10 pm
Ray

So you have nothing to add about NC really?

Have you ever visited NC?
Only an airport in 1971
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:51 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I want to comment on the crime in Durham. Like any city of its size, Durham has some crime but I look at the crime mapper thingy on the Durham Police Department's website from time to time. It becomes clear that crime tends to cluster in particular neighborhoods. i.e. in eastern and central Durham.

I wouldn't be surprised if my comments were true for Charlotte too.

Another thing, I find it quite amusing that people who say Durham is dangerous or say things like "I wouldn't want to live in Durham" are quite frequently those who've never been to Durham or if they have, have only been to the shopping areas, Duke or the downtown district.

My only comment about High Point is that I couldn't believe how many tattoo shops I saw during my overnight (furniture buying) trip in High Point a few years back.
Several Tattoo shops in High Point? My goodness High Point is trying to be Hip! Now days when ever I think about High Point its usually when I hear a great song from my High school days like Journey or John "Cougar" Mellancamp or Stevie Nicks.It was GREAT growing up and being a kid in North Carolina!

BTW,High Point is the best place to buy high end furniture at a discount price.Maybe the least expensive place in the United States for luxury furniture.Thomasville,Henredon(SP) furniture is very well made.As a teen I and some friends got jobs during the furniture market convention as bartenders.Guess who didn't even drink or was legally old enough? I was tall for my age

Yes I agree with you how perception about a place can be over blown and far from the complete actual facts. North Carolina is a very safe state to live .Enfact there were times our doors went unlocked at night and there was never a concern that someone would attempt to enter our home.My mom bought a beautiful home in a gated Jamestown community in 1994 and sold it in 2000.The neighborhood safety stayed the same from day one till she sold the house.

You could leave your car doors unlocked and bikes out all night.In terms of safety that neighborhood was as safe as being in your mother's arms.No problems and I'm sure despite national statistics there are many areas of Durham which offer the same safety. I would agree you are correct to say that those issues in Durham and charlotte are area specific.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

Cool, good to hear the feedback. Liking the look of Jamestown and Winston Salem a lot. Will grab a map of the area soon and plan out some routes
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Downside? Well I don't know your feelings on religion but if you are not religious or a regular church goer it may take you a while to get used to the church culture here. NC is in the bible belt and almost everyone attends church. In all the time I've lived here I've only known two people who did not attend church. Most peoples social lives also revolve around the church. I am just mentioning it because it was a big culture shock for me when we first moved here and it took me a little time to adjust.

Sue
Tell me more about this 'bible belt' stuff! I've been hearing about it for years, but living in the Bay Area, I'm oblivious to it.

So I live with my girlfriend of 14 years and have no desire or need to get married; she's non-white; and I haven't been to church since I was 5 years old.

Does this mean I'd get bricks through my windows? Weekly visits from the 'save the heathens' club? No membership at the Country Club? Or just no-one talking to me at the grocery store checkout?

I don't particularly dislike religious people, but I also don't think the Christians have any monopoly of common sense compared to the Jews, the Hindus, etc. So I suspect I may have a bit of a hard time of it in such a state.

It's a pity because I hear many great things about the state.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:18 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Tell me more about this 'bible belt' stuff! I've been hearing about it for years, but living in the Bay Area, I'm oblivious to it.

So I live with my girlfriend of 14 years and have no desire or need to get married; she's non-white; and I haven't been to church since I was 5 years old.

Does this mean I'd get bricks through my windows? Weekly visits from the 'save the heathens' club? No membership at the Country Club? Or just no-one talking to me at the grocery store checkout?
No nothing like that. I've always been made to feel welcome in this state. Its just as most people socialize through their church it can be a little harder to make friends socially. I'm "unchurched" and have never had anyone say anything bad to me, but my friendships are limited and the couple of friends I do have only go so deep because I don't have the belief system they do. However, saying that I also know of people who go to church and say they "believe" but they actually don't and they only go to church for "networking" opportunities.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I thik the last statment is very true no matter what part of the country you live in. Many churchgoers participate for the "what's in it for me" reason rather than because of a deep belief.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:12 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ulpul
Hi all

Following on from my original thread regarding US Visas, we are currently looking at North Carolina. The main reason is my US office is there in Reidsville so would be the most likely place for a transfer.

However, after a week or so of research it looks a very beautiful place to set up but after reviewing fizber.com, it doesn't seem the safest place. It also seems to have significantly depreciating property prices.

Violent Crime and Crime are well above average and property depreciated in the last 12 months.

My questions:

Where in North Carolina is somewhere safe, clean and nice to live in?
I would like a nice house, can be small but needs to have a small amount of land and above all, a nice area?
Not too far from international/domestic airport(s)
Plenty to do such as mountain biking/walking etc.
Not too much snow, don't mind a dusting but not wanting to be snowed in!

Commutable to Reidsville if possible.

Failing North Carolina, I have been looking at the New England area or Portland, Oregon area.

Any help appreciated or links.

Many thanks
I'm USC & have lived in US my entire 42+ years. I LOVE NC & wish I could move there for many reasons. .... but close to a major city like Asheville.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I don't particularly dislike religious people, but I also don't think the Christians have any monopoly of common sense compared to the Jews, the Hindus, etc. So I suspect I may have a bit of a hard time of it in such a state.

It's a pity because I hear many great things about the state.
I don't know if this applies to all of NC but my part of NC is pretty religiously diverse. In Durham there's plenty of Christian churches of many denominations (including Lutheran and Moravian) plus a Unitarian church and a synagogue. Within 25 mins drive, there's at least two Hindu temples (I've visited one for Diwali in the past). So, many religious faiths are represented in my immediate area.

On the other hand, a Japanese friend of mine bought a used car from a dealership maybe an hour's drive north of Durham. The salesperson gave her a Bible as well as handing over the car!

So, personally speaking, the "Bible Belt" stuff doesn't affect me. If you want to get involved in it, you can. I just like being able to get to places on a Sunday morning during church hours. Fewer vehicles on the road!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I'm USC & have lived in US my entire 42+ years. I LOVE NC & wish I could move there for many reasons. .... but close to a major city like Asheville.
I love Asheville too but it's a town, not a city. I think that's one reason it has its charm.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:22 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Asheville too but it's a town, not a city. I think that's one reason it has its charm.
You're right....I used the term very loosely. It's pretty big though for NC.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
You're right....I used the term very loosely. It's pretty big though for NC.
10th biggest in terms of population. See:
http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-NorthCarolina.html

Cary has a bigger population and that's a town too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.