Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina jobs

North Carolina jobs

Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:34 am
  #1  
Professional Mover
Thread Starter
 
RoB1833's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
Posts: 670
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default North Carolina jobs

Hopefully (K3 approval permitting!) I'll be moving to NC later this month. I know there are a few people on here living in this region.
My wife is pretty near Raleigh and I was just wondering what the job market is like at the moment......
RoB1833 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2003, 2:58 am
  #2  
Pagan Sex God
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Living in Oblivion
Posts: 3,668
Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

Originally posted by RoB1833
Hopefully (K3 approval permitting!) I'll be moving to NC later this month. I know there are a few people on here living in this region.
My wife is pretty near Raleigh and I was just wondering what the job market is like at the moment......

CRAP! I have been here since Feb and only had 3 interviews. I must admit I am a software/test engineer and the whole High Tech market is shot to pieces at the moment so if you are not in that line of work you should be OK. If you are network technician they seem to advertise for a lot of those but IT requires certificates.

Good Luck

Patrick - unemployed and unhappy
Patrick is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:58 pm
  #3  
Not living a 9 to 5 life
 
NC Penguin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,061
NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

Originally posted by RoB1833
Hopefully (K3 approval permitting!) I'll be moving to NC later this month. I know there are a few people on here living in this region.
My wife is pretty near Raleigh and I was just wondering what the job market is like at the moment......
It would be helpful to know what line of work you do? Blue collar, white collar? Please be more specific.

Also, whereabouts exactly in NC will you be moving to? Near Raleigh is a bit vague? Will you be moving within the Triangle (Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area)?

I live in NC and I work in Durham, within the Triangle.



NC Penguin
NC Penguin is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:30 pm
  #4  
Professional Mover
Thread Starter
 
RoB1833's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
Posts: 670
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

Originally posted by NC Penguin
It would be helpful to know what line of work you do? Blue collar, white collar? Please be more specific.

Also, whereabouts exactly in NC will you be moving to? Near Raleigh is a bit vague? Will you be moving within the Triangle (Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area)?

I live in NC and I work in Durham, within the Triangle.



NC Penguin
I'll be moving to Sanford, not too far from Raleigh so my wife tells me. I have 15 years experience in operational, production and planning management.
RoB1833 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:10 pm
  #5  
Not living a 9 to 5 life
 
NC Penguin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,061
NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

Originally posted by RoB1833
I'll be moving to Sanford, not too far from Raleigh so my wife tells me. I have 15 years experience in operational, production and planning management.
If you're planning to work in Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville or RTP, it wouldn't surprise me if your drive to work is a maximum of an hour each way.

In my case, my husband (the USC) knew whereabouts he would be working (in RTP) so we deliberately chose not to live in Cary or Raleigh because we were aware of the awful traffic jams from those areas to RTP and Durham.

In my opinion, the economy in the Triangle is pretty sluggish at the moment and since it's summer, hiring may be slower than normal because people are vacationing.

My advice to you is to work on presenting your CV as a US resume using appropriate language, layout and necessary information (i.e. no need to include your gender, date of birth).

As soon as you get here, you'll get a feel for the local economy by reading the local newspapers such as News and Observer, Herald Sun and others. The two I've mentioned have websites so you can read them before you get over this side of the pond.

Best of luck and if you have any newbie related questions, feel free to ask. I've "been there and done that" from scratch since I got here.



NC Penguin
NC Penguin is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:59 pm
  #6  
Professional Mover
Thread Starter
 
RoB1833's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
Posts: 670
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you're planning to work in Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville or RTP, it wouldn't surprise me if your drive to work is a maximum of an hour each way.

In my case, my husband (the USC) knew whereabouts he would be working (in RTP) so we deliberately chose not to live in Cary or Raleigh because we were aware of the awful traffic jams from those areas to RTP and Durham.

In my opinion, the economy in the Triangle is pretty sluggish at the moment and since it's summer, hiring may be slower than normal because people are vacationing.

My advice to you is to work on presenting your CV as a US resume using appropriate language, layout and necessary information (i.e. no need to include your gender, date of birth).

As soon as you get here, you'll get a feel for the local economy by reading the local newspapers such as News and Observer, Herald Sun and others. The two I've mentioned have websites so you can read them before you get over this side of the pond.

Best of luck and if you have any newbie related questions, feel free to ask. I've "been there and done that" from scratch since I got here.



NC Penguin
Thanks! Much appreciated!
RoB1833 is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:01 am
  #7  
Pagan Sex God
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Living in Oblivion
Posts: 3,668
Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/career/jobs.htm
Patrick is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:09 pm
  #8  
Here and Loving it
 
mark19964's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Cornelius NC
Posts: 150
mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Personally, i think it all comes down to what line of business your in and the qualifications you can, as said convert over there.

My field of environmental control, is doing well stateside and I have 4 interviews lined up already. As everyone has said it all comes down to the field you work in.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Regards - Mark
mark19964 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.