Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina jobs

North Carolina jobs

Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:34 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default North Carolina jobs

Hopefully (K3 approval permitting!) I'll be moving to NC later this month. I know there are a few people on here living in this region.
My wife is pretty near Raleigh and I was just wondering what the job market is like at the moment......
Old Jul 1st 2003, 2:58 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina jobs

Originally posted by RoB1833
Hopefully (K3 approval permitting!) I'll be moving to NC later this month. I know there are a few people on here living in this region.
My wife is pretty near Raleigh and I was just wondering what the job market is like at the moment......

CRAP! I have been here since Feb and only had 3 interviews. I must admit I am a software/test engineer and the whole High Tech market is shot to pieces at the moment so if you are not in that line of work you should be OK. If you are network technician they seem to advertise for a lot of those but IT requires certificates.

Good Luck

Patrick - unemployed and unhappy
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

It would be helpful to know what line of work you do? Blue collar, white collar? Please be more specific.

Also, whereabouts exactly in NC will you be moving to? Near Raleigh is a bit vague? Will you be moving within the Triangle (Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area)?

I live in NC and I work in Durham, within the Triangle.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:30 pm
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by NC Penguin
It would be helpful to know what line of work you do? Blue collar, white collar? Please be more specific.

Also, whereabouts exactly in NC will you be moving to? Near Raleigh is a bit vague? Will you be moving within the Triangle (Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area)?

I live in NC and I work in Durham, within the Triangle.

NC Penguin
I'll be moving to Sanford, not too far from Raleigh so my wife tells me. I have 15 years experience in operational, production and planning management.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be moving to Sanford, not too far from Raleigh so my wife tells me. I have 15 years experience in operational, production and planning management.
If you're planning to work in Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville or RTP, it wouldn't surprise me if your drive to work is a maximum of an hour each way.

In my case, my husband (the USC) knew whereabouts he would be working (in RTP) so we deliberately chose not to live in Cary or Raleigh because we were aware of the awful traffic jams from those areas to RTP and Durham.

In my opinion, the economy in the Triangle is pretty sluggish at the moment and since it's summer, hiring may be slower than normal because people are vacationing.

My advice to you is to work on presenting your CV as a US resume using appropriate language, layout and necessary information (i.e. no need to include your gender, date of birth).

As soon as you get here, you'll get a feel for the local economy by reading the local newspapers such as News and Observer, Herald Sun and others. The two I've mentioned have websites so you can read them before you get over this side of the pond.

Best of luck and if you have any newbie related questions, feel free to ask. I've "been there and done that" from scratch since I got here.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:59 pm
Professional Mover

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you're planning to work in Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville or RTP, it wouldn't surprise me if your drive to work is a maximum of an hour each way.

In my case, my husband (the USC) knew whereabouts he would be working (in RTP) so we deliberately chose not to live in Cary or Raleigh because we were aware of the awful traffic jams from those areas to RTP and Durham.

In my opinion, the economy in the Triangle is pretty sluggish at the moment and since it's summer, hiring may be slower than normal because people are vacationing.

My advice to you is to work on presenting your CV as a US resume using appropriate language, layout and necessary information (i.e. no need to include your gender, date of birth).

As soon as you get here, you'll get a feel for the local economy by reading the local newspapers such as News and Observer, Herald Sun and others. The two I've mentioned have websites so you can read them before you get over this side of the pond.

Best of luck and if you have any newbie related questions, feel free to ask. I've "been there and done that" from scratch since I got here.

NC Penguin
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/career/jobs.htm
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:09 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, i think it all comes down to what line of business your in and the qualifications you can, as said convert over there.

My field of environmental control, is doing well stateside and I have 4 interviews lined up already. As everyone has said it all comes down to the field you work in.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Regards - Mark