Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Noob question - best path for me?

Noob question - best path for me?

Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noob question - best path for me?

Hi there

I am a complete noob when it comes to US immigration and I unsure of how to get started.

My situation is I currently work for a company that has offices in the UK (where I work) and also in California. There may be a need for me to be based in California and I wondered what exactly this would entail?

I am 32 with a wife and two children, I am employed as a system administrator and have a number of professional certificates (but no degree). I have around 5 years experience in similar roles also.

Could anyone recommend a starting point for me?

Does the role need to be advertised in the US? It is the same job as I am doing now rather than a new job and I'd just be moving offices.

Quite confused as to what visa I would need and what exactly I need to do.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 9th 2012, 1:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noob question - best path for me?

Research the L1 visa - this seems to be most appropriate for you as it relates to intra-company transfers.

You don't need to do anything initially, the company will need to file the I-129 petition. Your wife and children would get derivative visas to accompany you to the US, but bear in mind that this initially is a NON-immigrant visa, and generally you would return to the UK in 3 years (unless the company sponsored a further renewal). There are however provisions available for the company to sponsor you for a green card.

Last edited by civilservant; Nov 9th 2012 at 1:40 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 2:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noob question - best path for me?

You are correct to wonder and inform yourself about the process that you will be going through. You will be a participant in the process, but it should be up to the company to make the immigration arrangements that are necessary for the company to move you to its California office.

You should discuss this with the company attorney that will be handling things, to understand what the company is doing. But, as Ian often points out, since the company has their own interests in mind, which may not always be in perfect alignment with your interests, you are taking an important step to inform yourself independently.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by chaddsuk
My situation is I currently work for a company that has offices in the UK (where I work) and also in California. There may be a need for me to be based in California and I wondered what exactly this would entail?