Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non UK Citizen spouse entering UK - which queue

Non UK Citizen spouse entering UK - which queue

Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Non UK Citizen spouse entering UK - which queue

I am heading to the UK with my spouse (Taiwanese). She doesn't hold a UK Visa or passport. Can she queue with me in the UK residents immigration queue, or do we have to enter seperately and she should go to the non UK Citizen queue?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non UK Citizen spouse entering UK - which queue

When the kids and I entered on our US passports, we had to go through the on EU line, we left my Mom all alone in that line, the non EU line was shorter any way, it was me the kids and one other person
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the airport or how busy they are.

Sometimes they can go through with you on the EU line, sometimes not. You can go in either though.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:48 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
I am heading to the UK with my spouse (Taiwanese). She doesn't hold a UK Visa or passport. Can she queue with me in the UK residents immigration queue, or do we have to enter seperately and she should go to the non UK Citizen queue?
From my observation, I don't think they object if you accompany your wife through the UK/EU citizen line.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

We will be flying into Stansted, will have her queue with me in the EU line.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

both of you can go to the non EU Queue. She is the one that needs more processing and a different stamp.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I am heading to the UK with my spouse (Taiwanese).
Sounds as if congratulations are in order!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:40 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

When I was married I used to go with my USC wife through the EU line, never a problem.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I went back I had a race with my wife. I went through the automated EU line in about ten seconds, she went through the non-EU line and took about 10 minutes.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I am both US and UK so, I use the EU line. I went recently to the UK with my girlfriend (US citizen only), and we saw this sign (not our picture). We silently chuckled and thought that some of my fellow Americans really need to be told this explicitly. .

Anyway, just use the EU line.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sounds as if congratulations are in order!
Thank you! Yes we got married in July this year - and she is now here on an L2.

The other bit of (unexpected)good news I had at the beginning of the week, my employer has initiated my Green Card application. They originally told me they wouldn't do it until next year at the earliest, however I was contacted by HR on Monday to let me know the news, and I had a consultation with the their immigation attorney today!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Yes we got married in July this year - and she is now here on an L2.

The other bit of (unexpected)good news I had at the beginning of the week, my employer has initiated my Green Card application. They originally told me they wouldn't do it until next year at the earliest, however I was contacted by HR on Monday to let me know the news, and I had a consultation with the their immigation attorney today!
Better and better -- congratulations on all the good news, I hope all goes smoothly and quickly!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

We will be flying into Stansted, will have her queue with me in the EU line.
All depends on the whims of the immigration officers at the port of entry. I've been through both Heathrow and Stansted with my US citizen girlfriend. At Heathrow they noticed us splitting up and told us that "groups stay together" and pointed us to the EU line.
We assumed it was the same rule at Stansted, but oh how wrong we were. After queuing at the EU line they rather tersely sent us to the non-EU line where we got the most insufferable IO giving us the third degree for no reason.

Best to ask a wandering IO before queuing.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:18 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the EU line, my USC wife and I have gone through together many times with no issues.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deng890
All depends on the whims of the immigration officers at the port of entry.
Just going to write the same thing. On one visit we went through the Non EU line together and asked if we could have gone through the EU line together and we were told no problem So next time we went through the EU line together and they let us through but weren't happy as they didn't have the correct stamp at their desk and had to get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.