Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:08 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And just out of interest, I've just looked on Skyscanner.net and done the same. I set the departure time as before 11am, and 10 flights came up with various airlines like Iberia, Virgin, Delta, BA etc.
I think the below list sums up the current situation. Any others seen would have been code-shares (Delta/Virgin, Iberia/BA etc.)

BA238 0810 BOS-LHR
BA180 0715 JFK-LHR
VS26 0740 JFK-LHR
BA178 0815 JFK-LHR
VS18 0715 EWR-LHR
UA922 0900 EWR-LHR
UA122 0925 IAD-LHR

Anyone got any others to add to the list?

Last edited by tonrob; Apr 4th 2014 at 11:18 am.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I believe it really is just BA and Virgin. The US carriers can't turn the plane round for a return flight so poor equipment utilization, whereas UK-based carriers can utilize the same aircraft for a far-east run for example within a couple of hours of landing in London. I think that the other carriers that showed up in your search were simply code-shares, Delta/Virgin and Iberia/BA.
More than likely, but there's still quite a few daytime flights to choose from!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:21 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I have just now, 2 minutes ago, been to expedia.com and searched for EWR-LHR return 6/2/14-6/13/14, and I found four flights leaving at or before 9am ( I suspect they are actually two code-share pairs). The flights are Delta, Lufthansa, Virgin, and United.
I'm trying to avoid London though. I need to get to Manchester. In case you were in any doubt, I'm a northerner.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm trying to avoid London though. I need to get to Manchester. In case you were in any doubt, I'm a northerner.
OK, but when you say:
Trying in vain to find flights back to the UK that aren't red eyes.

I'm departing from the east coast (NY to be exact) I don't want to be overly picky .....
Per what you said flights to London would meet your requirements, but anyhow, I am fairly sure that you can either take a flight direct to Manchester OR a non-red eye flight (to London), but not both.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

My father lives in Bolton so when I've visited London on business I've often flown into MAN the weekend before to see him. Sadly there are no daytime (non-red eye) flights to MAN from NYC, and I don't think there are any from BOS either. Be aware that the BA flights to/from NYC to MAN are actually operated by American Airlines with some really superannuated second-string 757s. Unless things have changed in recent years I do not recommend that.

In the past I've tended to fly into MAN via Dublin, usually with Aer Lingus, to take advantage of US pre-clearance on the return. Unfortunately the flights to Dublin are always overnight. Alternatively I've flown into LHR on a daytime flight then taken the train the next day to Manchester, and this might be a good idea for you. Of course you can book through to MAN with the airline but you'll probably be arriving there very very late at night.

If you take the train and book online early enough you can usually get a good deal on a first class seat which is well worth it (or if traveling at the week-end pay GBP15 per head for an on-train upgrade). Bear in mind that to get the best fares you have to book on a specific train and if you miss it you're out-of-luck. The problem with either flying on from LHR or taking the train is that the daytime flights get in quite late and you'd have to allow time for delays, clearing the airport and connecting to your domestic fight or getting to Euston for the train. What I usually do is book a cheap hotel near Euston for the night of my arrival and take a train up first thing in the morning.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My sleep always gets really messed up anyway.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest times we've had flying back are the last two times we've flown through Dublin. We arrived really early in Dublin (5am) and have a booked day room waiting for us. We get in there and take a good long nap (3 or 4 hours) and then head back to the airport and fly on to Leeds. We arrive there, about 7pm and then we have enough time to visit, have dinner and stay awake till 11 or so and then usually get a good night's sleep. The trick (and this didn't happen the last time, so it took much longer for jet lag to wear off) is to get up the next day and get going. Get outside and just spend the whole day moving about. The first time we went through Dublin was a lot easier because we went out immediately the next day.

Anyway, good luck. Not always fun traveling with a little one, but try and pack games, toys, little snacks, etc. I find that if you fly from Boston or New York the commute time to Dublin is faster and a bit easier as well.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The easiest times we've had flying back are the last two times we've flown through Dublin. We arrived really early in Dublin (5am) and have a booked day room waiting for us. We get in there and take a good long nap (3 or 4 hours) and then head back to the airport and fly on to Leeds. We arrive there, about 7pm and then we have enough time to visit, have dinner and stay awake till 11 or so and then usually get a good night's sleep. ... .
That sounds reasonable if you can make that work. I just stay up all day, and accept that I am going to feel like utter shïte that day, then get a fairly early night, and I'm usually pretty OK when I get up the next day.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:38 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, but when you say:
Per what you said flights to London would meet your requirements, but anyhow, I am fairly sure that you can either take a flight direct to Manchester OR a non-red eye flight (to London), but not both.
I know, you're right, you're right. As I thought, non red-eye flights to Manchester aren't that common. Normally I'd fly into Heathrow and go on up to Manchester without a second thought, but this time I'm doing it with a 2 year old, so the less kerfuffle the better. Thanks for the replies though.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:43 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My sleep always gets really messed up anyway.
Same. I can't seem to avoid it. It ends up messing up my stay a lot of the time.
I remember once they gave me an Ambien in hospital after I'd had surgery and it did nothing. My brain was like "lol nice try, you ain't going to sleep."
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:04 pm

Same. I can't seem to avoid it. It ends up messing up my stay a lot of the time.
I remember once they gave me an Ambien in hospital after I'd had surgery and it did nothing. My brain was like "lol nice try, you ain't going to sleep."
Do you drink (much) coffee, or lots of tea, or other caffeinated drinks? Caffeine is a remarkably powerful stimulant, and once I realised what it was doing to me, I weened myself off it and I sleep much better. If you can stay off the caffeine for a few days before hand it might help you sleep even without a sleeping pill. I will warn you though, going cold-turkey on caffeine might give you mind-crushing headaches, but you'd know that after 2-3 days of giving up the caffeine.

If I have a regular coffee now I will not sleep at all the first night, and find it difficult to sleep the second night. ..... 3-4 cups of tea, or two 20oz caffeinated sodas also severally disrupt my sleep on the first night.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Britsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to behold

I've done literally hundreds of transatlantic flights over the last few years. I MUCH prefer the red eye flights (the longer the better, ie.e West Coast to UK better than East coast).

If you do end up on a red eye, the trick is to make it like bedtime. Try and be tired before getting on the flight, make sure you have comfy clothes on before boarding, book a window seat, grab pillows and blankets and wedge yourself in. I used to take an antihistamine before the flight too. I would be asleep before take off and would typically get a reasonable sleep. Same principle (less the pill) works with babies/kids. Just ignore the TV/snacks/people.

Once in the UK on the East coast flights I would sometimes take a couple more hours of sleep but generally if you can do without and spend the first day outside/active you will be over the jet lag after a couple of days. There is a knack to it, for sure.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

To save me starting a new thread, and to save countless people taking the piss out of me, I'll ask my stupid question here. I'm pooping back to the homeland end of April for 10 days. Wife unfortunately can't make it out. Traveling back, I assume I can use the American line at immigration and just hand over my passport and green card to the helpful and friendly immigration nazi?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1
...... I'm pooping back to the homeland ......
No shït!
....Wife unfortunately can't make it out. Traveling back, I assume I can use the American line at immigration and just hand over my passport and green card to the helpful and friendly immigration nazi?
Maybe, maybe not, I think it depends on the airport. The signs should make it clear, though quite frankly unless they wanted to be really pïssy with you, you should be OK in the US line.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
To save me starting a new thread, and to save countless people taking the piss out of me, I'll ask my stupid question here. I'm pooping back to the homeland end of April for 10 days. Wife unfortunately can't make it out. Traveling back, I assume I can use the American line at immigration and just hand over my passport and green card to the helpful and friendly immigration nazi?
Depends on the airport. Most allow LPRs to use the USC line, a few have dedicated LPR lines and a few make LPRs go through the visitors' line. It ought to be clearly marked when you get to immigration but there's usually someone at the entry to the various lines to help you if it's not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.