Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No work references. help!

No work references. help!

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice
Default No work references. help!

Need some quick advice.
I'm embarking on a new career path and applying for jobs but some of them are asking me for at least 3 references pertaining to the job I want to do now.

Problem is, I don't have any yet, so what do I do?

With my last and longest job here the boss fired all 5 of her staff for not bowing to her psycho crap (thank you menopause) and she refuses to give any of us a reference or reply to calls or emails.

When I get my next job would it be cheeky to ask the boss for a reference letter say after a few months working there instead of waiting until you leave?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No work references. help!

Was there no HR dept where you used to work? A former colleague who had sufficient seniority to be able to give you some kind of reference? It doesn't have to be your direct manager if you can't get something from them.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

reference would be just to state position and times of employment, they really can't refuse that, so just give employer the contact details and let them have the fun
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:52 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldFinger
When I get my next job would it be cheeky to ask the boss for a reference letter say after a few months working there instead of waiting until you leave?
Yes, a bit! In any case, a psycho boss won't give you that, and a normal boss wouldn't refuse to give you one after you left.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Need some quick advice.
I'm embarking on a new career path and applying for jobs but some of them are asking me for at least 3 references pertaining to the job I want to do now.

With my last and longest job here the boss fired all 5 of her staff for not bowing to her psycho crap (thank you menopause) and she refuses to give any of us a reference or reply to calls or emails.

Get a character reference from someone if nothing else. Could be a professor, friend, etc. The higher the title they hold, the better.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Bob.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

No, there was no HR dept. The boss was also the owner of the company and she 'ruled' over us like the (solo) Mob.

... just give employer the contact details and let them have the fun
They want actual letters though, not addresses.

Get a character reference from someone if nothing else. Could be a professor, friend, etc. The higher the title they hold, the better.

That's an idea. I'll try it.
Thanks all.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Unusual for a US firm to want written references - every US company that I know of won't supply them, so it's weird that they ask for them. YOu could try saying it's against company policy to give them out.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by augigi
Unusual for a US firm to want written references - every US company that I know of won't supply them, so it's weird that they ask for them. YOu could try saying it's against company policy to give them out.
That's even better.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You don't always need a reference at least in my first job over here I never needed one. It all depends on the job and your experience. Don't lose hope there are ways around this.

What about old work colleagues? even old friends? or people who have known you for a long time?

Need some quick advice.

Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:57 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
You don't always need a reference at least in my first job over here I never needed one. It all depends on the job and your experience. Don't lose hope there are ways around this.

What about old work colleagues? even old friends? or people who have known you for a long time?
My first and only company I have worked for in the US wanted to talk to my old employer back in the UK and when they tried to contact my old boss the bugger was in the lake district for 2 weeks. They finally got a hold of him and I guess he said the right things as I did get the job.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Need some quick advice.

Just make everything up ... they will believe you

I find Americans believe everything I tell them, after all ... i am English ! I would never lie

Some people at Yonkers believe that Princess Di was my niece ... HMM now who told them that
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Now your next job, once you start your new job is to start building a network of contacts.

Originally Posted by sime303
My first and only company I have worked for in the US wanted to talk to my old employer back in the UK and when they tried to contact my old boss the bugger was in the lake district for 2 weeks. They finally got a hold of him and I guess he said the right things as I did get the job.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Need some quick advice.

It's pretty standard procedure for companies not to give references here. Just to confirm you worked there and what position you held.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

So...I basically did what NYC-ites are known for. Talking bull****.

Boss: Did you bring your 3 references with you?
Me: I don't need references, I'm that good. (boasty and lengthy to that effect)
I was offered the job after 5 minutes and then same day a better job called me for an interview out of the blue and I accepted their offer instead.

All this references stuff is time wasting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.