Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No taxation without representation

No taxation without representation

Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:15 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No taxation without representation

Originally Posted by Ben
Which ones? Even the school elections have the stipulation that you have to be a USC in order to vote.

I do believe that you should be allowed to vote in local things that influence the local area. And the only stipulation should be that you reside and pay property taxes/rent that pays the property taxes in the area.
Depends where you are. In a lot of places (maybe most) you cannot vote at all. Just remember that the N-400 requires you to explain yourself if you've ever voted in either local or federal elections. IMHO, the fewer explanations you have to attach to that form, the better.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:11 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
As my neighborhoods are now inundated with temporary signs advertising various unknown persons who are candidates for everything from State Governor, through Judge, to School Board Member.............

...............It strikes me that this country started out on it's road to independence with the phrase "No taxation without representation".

Who amongst us thinks that those of us who:

A: have a Green Card
B: pay our taxes
C: do not break the law

Should also have the vote here ?

and no, I am not joking.

Maybe this deserves a Poll and perhaps a Petition ?
I'm a USC who was a GC holder. No you should not get the vote. You get benefit from the taxes you pay. The "No taxation without representation" slogan was for citizens of the crown, living in the colonies, who were taxed but had no representation in Westminster.

Why do you stop at GC, why not any of the temp work permits, they pay taxes too.

It's very simple, we don't want a bunch of foreigners, who may not have our interests at heart, to change our political direction.

Having said that, if more of you will vote against the Republicans than not, I might change my mind
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

carolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
As my neighborhoods are now inundated with temporary signs advertising various unknown persons who are candidates for everything from State Governor, through Judge, to School Board Member.............

...............It strikes me that this country started out on it's road to independence with the phrase "No taxation without representation".

Who amongst us thinks that those of us who:

A: have a Green Card
B: pay our taxes
C: do not break the law

Should also have the vote here ?

and no, I am not joking.

Maybe this deserves a Poll and perhaps a Petition ?
Definitely NOT. Only U.S. Citizens should have the right to decide on America's future, people who are here on Green Cards have no real stake in this country.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Could vote for local things in Maine as a GC....but for shite things like school boards and other random local stuff, and maybe for govnor, but nothing more fun than that
Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolf
... people who are here on Green Cards have no real stake in this country.
but they do....certainly to the local area at least...and some states allow it, some don't, seems reasonable to allow some one who lives and work be able to vote for school board, or other local decisions.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:35 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm happy with my GC, and no vote is a fair swap for no jury duty
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in all seriousness that now the American cultural and financial empire covers the entire globe and that what happens in Washington affects everyone in the world, from environmental leglislation or rather lack of, free trade agreements or rather the hypocritical self interest bullying that passes for free trade by the US, etc. etc. the whole world should get a say in how they are goverened by the US. I think anyone in the world should be able to vote in the US elections. They affect our lives, our countries and indeed they seem to feel happy to simply kidnap and take our citizens from wherever and whenever they like and incacerate them in illegal gaols... the least we should be able to do is vote in the US elections! The american empire is no different in many ways to the british or roman empires before it, whilst I don't know if the british were able to vote in roman elections or whatever they had I think we should be afforded that right today.
call me crazy but I sincerely believe this!

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:56 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely NOT. Only U.S. Citizens should have the right to decide on America's future, people who are here on Green Cards have no real stake in this country.
I am sorry but that is baloney.

My wife is here, my home is here, and my job is here.

How dare you suggest that I have no real stake in this country?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not only can you be called for jury duty...you can be called to fight for the US should the military request it.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

people who are here on Green Cards have no real stake in this country.
absolutely we do.

permanent resident.

PERMANENT

PERMANENT

look it up www.dictionary.com
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not only can you be called for jury duty...you can be called to fight for the US should the military request it.
I dont think a non-USC can be called for jury duty - are you sure?
They can kiss my ass when/if they try to draft me.
I'm here because of my wife. I pay my way and don't give the US any trouble, and I expect the same in return.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
absolutely we do.

permanent resident.

PERMANENT

PERMANENT

look it up www.dictionary.com

The guy's got a pretty good point there.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think a non-USC can be called for jury duty - are you sure?
They can kiss my ass when/if they try to draft me.
I'm here because of my wife. I pay my way and don't give the US any trouble, and I expect the same in return.

They can call you for jury duty -- but you can't go and sit!

On the draft crap, you can obey it or leave the country if called up. If you leave, you enjoy a permenant bar from re-entry as their gift to you.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:40 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

So because you are a permanent resident, you say should be allowed to vote. Where do we stop, should any foreigner who pays taxes, have the right to vote? Should you be allowed to stand for office? Congress or the Senate? Perhaps we should change the constitution to allow you (and I) to become President.

No. Your GC got you the right to stay here permanently, but there is the final step needed to get the final rights available to you. You can then stand for just about any office except President.

Perhaps some who want to vote without citizenship here, would sing a different song if they were still in the UK and someone demanded voting rights for all of the non-citizens there.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:28 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
So because you are a permanent resident, you say should be allowed to vote. Where do we stop, should any foreigner who pays taxes, have the right to vote? Should you be allowed to stand for office? Congress or the Senate? Perhaps we should change the constitution to allow you (and I) to become President.

No. Your GC got you the right to stay here permanently, but there is the final step needed to get the final rights available to you. You can then stand for just about any office except President.

Perhaps some who want to vote without citizenship here, would sing a different song if they were still in the UK and someone demanded voting rights for all of the non-citizens there.
I am not absolutely sure that you have to be a UK citizen to vote in the UK.

Perhaps someone else here knows the facts ?

Last edited by TRPardoe; Aug 21st 2006 at 7:29 pm. Reason: Grammar & typographical errors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.