Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

(no such things as) Philadelphia Freedom

(no such things as) Philadelphia Freedom

Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all
Default (no such things as) Philadelphia Freedom

Since our pc died and we are using a loaner, I am writing this under my wife's screen name. Many of you may recall me, East156th Street. I have to share with you all a disturbing occurance which took place this past Friday morning in Philadelphia at the USCIS office.
My wife sent for the forms she needed for advance parole, adjustment of status and two others. When the packet arrived, enclosed was a form letter stating that the forms and necessary checks should be delivered to the Philly office in person. At that time, we would meet with someone who would go over the forms and make sure they were filled out correctly.
The office opens and 7:30 A.M. and we set out on the 72 mile journey to be there one hour earlier. The drive was cool until we were on the Schuylkill Expressway when the animal driver were all over the road. But wait, the best is yet to come. We founf a parking garage a block away and gingerly walked up to the line outside of the building.
Once inside, we went up to the counter on our turn and tried to speak to the clerk waiting there. When my wife spoke, the clerk jumped all over her, screaming and asking her who her sponsor was. This woman was ugly in ever way. Her face was evil and her demeanor was as well. It's as if we were terrorists asking where to plant a bomb. We were treated as poorly as a civil servant can get away with and then some.
Then, we were ordered to put our documents, checks and all, into a gray mailbox. It's the kind of mailbox that would be on a street corner with a drive up-drop in slot on one side. We were blown away by this entire circumstance!
This was totally wrong! Everything connected with this ordeal was wrong. Wrong in the sense of what a form leter told us what to do. Wrong in the in-humane treatment of people either coming into a new nation/home and those who sponsor same. Wrong because we were treated like criminals as if we had no rights. And, if you notice, I haven't ranted or even made the tone of this posting threatening in any way. We are/were stunned. We drove home a bit angry but also quite bewildered.
Is this what our nation has been reduced to? Is this the hypocracy of a government trying to defend itself from terrorists only to assume it's own citizens are guilty of it? Okay, I'm not a child nor am I nieve. But, I am a full citizen of the U.S.A. and I know when my rights have been violated. My wife and I were treated abhorrantly and it cannot go un-checked. That's the way I feel at this moment and will wait until the time is right before even thinking about doing anything. I just know that something must be done.
So, how long will we have to wait for these froms to be processed in Chicago? At least that's where the froms are headed from the gray mailbox. The instructions say we will hear something in 2 weeks. I just want to know how our forms and checks will be handled.
I want to do something. I want to tell someone about this ordeal. But I feel it will be for naught if I do so. What can anyone do about this? Damned if you do and if you don't.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the US Immigration System

Ash
Old Aug 1st 2004, 5:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (no such things as) Philadelphia Freedom

You normally post on the marriage-based visa forum 156th street and not the USA culture forum so I was much surprised to see this rant here instead.

The form sent to your wife was incorrect. I believe Philly stopped accepting walk-ins a while back. The mailbox you spoke of is similar to the one used in another District Office but this time in California. My understanding is that the envelope you sent will either be looked over in Philly for correctness and completeness and then forwarded on to the NBC for initial processing. They in turn will cash your checks, issue your notice of action, send a letter requesting you call to make an appointment for biometrics for the AOS security check and the manufacture of the EAD. They will also issue the Advance Parole if your wife applied for one. When the security clearance is complete and Philly is ready to set a date for your interview the petitions will be sent back to Philly for final adjudication.

As for your encounter with a very rude and obnoxious employee of the USCIS you do have recourse. If you were smart you would have gotten her name. If so you can file a complaint with the Internal Audit Unit of the USCIS in Washington, DC. From personal experience I will tell you that they take the complaints seriously. So seriously that they even called our home to discuss the employee with my husband. Unfortunately, he did not have a name.

Rete

Originally posted by Suess
Since our pc died and we are using a loaner, I am writing this under my wife's screen name. Many of you may recall me, East156th Street. I have to share with you all a disturbing occurance which took place this past Friday morning in Philadelphia at the USCIS office.
My wife sent for the forms she needed for advance parole, adjustment of status and two others. When the packet arrived, enclosed was a form letter stating that the forms and necessary checks should be delivered to the Philly office in person. At that time, we would meet with someone who would go over the forms and make sure they were filled out correctly.
The office opens and 7:30 A.M. and we set out on the 72 mile journey to be there one hour earlier. The drive was cool until we were on the Schuylkill Expressway when the animal driver were all over the road. But wait, the best is yet to come. We founf a parking garage a block away and gingerly walked up to the line outside of the building.
Once inside, we went up to the counter on our turn and tried to speak to the clerk waiting there. When my wife spoke, the clerk jumped all over her, screaming and asking her who her sponsor was. This woman was ugly in ever way. Her face was evil and her demeanor was as well. It's as if we were terrorists asking where to plant a bomb. We were treated as poorly as a civil servant can get away with and then some.
Then, we were ordered to put our documents, checks and all, into a gray mailbox. It's the kind of mailbox that would be on a street corner with a drive up-drop in slot on one side. We were blown away by this entire circumstance!
This was totally wrong! Everything connected with this ordeal was wrong. Wrong in the sense of what a form leter told us what to do. Wrong in the in-humane treatment of people either coming into a new nation/home and those who sponsor same. Wrong because we were treated like criminals as if we had no rights. And, if you notice, I haven't ranted or even made the tone of this posting threatening in any way. We are/were stunned. We drove home a bit angry but also quite bewildered.
Is this what our nation has been reduced to? Is this the hypocracy of a government trying to defend itself from terrorists only to assume it's own citizens are guilty of it? Okay, I'm not a child nor am I nieve. But, I am a full citizen of the U.S.A. and I know when my rights have been violated. My wife and I were treated abhorrantly and it cannot go un-checked. That's the way I feel at this moment and will wait until the time is right before even thinking about doing anything. I just know that something must be done.
So, how long will we have to wait for these froms to be processed in Chicago? At least that's where the froms are headed from the gray mailbox. The instructions say we will hear something in 2 weeks. I just want to know how our forms and checks will be handled.
I want to do something. I want to tell someone about this ordeal. But I feel it will be for naught if I do so. What can anyone do about this? Damned if you do and if you don't.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

Well, Rete, thank you for the useful information. No thank you to the fact that you still do not seem to know how to read/comprehend my postings. What was so much of a rant in my posting considering what we went through? You diplay very little feelings and compassion when people come to you for help.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Rete, thank you for the useful information. No thank you to the fact that you still do not seem to know how to read/comprehend my postings. What was so much of a rant in my posting considering what we went through? You diplay very little feelings and compassion when people come to you for help.
Well personally ..I think most of us would call that a rant..especially with comments like
"when the animal driver were all over the road"
"This woman was ugly in ever way. Her face was evil and her demeanor was as well"

But there is nothing wrong with a rant to make you feel better..

Why you feel Rete does "not seem to know how to read/comprehend my postings" is a bit strange ... she carefully explained the system and told you where to complain..even assuring you it will be taken serious..
A liitle apology would not go amiss there..
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

What do you want her to do? Cry you a bucket? She told you how to pursue filing a complaint and she explained in some detail what the rest of the process will be.

You say you are a full citizen of the United States and your rights have been violated? Which right? Specifically?