Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No Star Spangled Banner at England v Colombia match

No Star Spangled Banner at England v Colombia match

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Star Spangled Banner at England v Colombia match

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
When looking up the lyrics (I know them but was too lazy to type them out, so decided to copy-and-paste instead!), I discovered that the tune for "God Save the Queen" is also that of Liechtenstein's national anthem, and has previously been used as the national anthem tune for Denmark, Germany, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland.

At least the US didn't use it for our national anthem, just for a regular, patriotic song! And hey -- my university's alma mater uses the same tune as "Love Me Tender", so go figure...

~ Jenney
and the US national anthem comes from an English drinking song.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Jun 2nd 2005 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
What annoys me about this is that I would prefer the governor of my state to spend his time on more important matters, rather than writing loads of Mr-Angry-from-Trenton letters to just about anybody he could think of associated with Britain. The shocking state of the roads here would be a good place to start.
Be a bit boring news if he did proper work though wouldn't it *l*
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

When looking up the lyrics (I know them but was too lazy to type them out, so decided to copy-and-paste instead!), I discovered that the tune for "God Save the Queen" is also that of Liechtenstein's national anthem, and has previously been used as the national anthem tune for Denmark, Germany, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland.
The queen gets about a bit then
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a church in Atlanta once and was very surprised to hear the start of God Save The Queen and even more surprised to hear people sing the wrong words!

Another time, me and another English guy went to see an Atlanta Falcons game. Over the speakers we hear "Please rise and sing your national anthem"
So we did. They must have put the wrong tape in or something because it was the wrong music!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Given that the tune is an 18th century British drinking song, why would we not want to hear the music ?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:04 pm
ImHere

The irony is that upon hearing "God Save the Queen" many Americans would assume they're hearing "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", a patriotic song in the same ranks as "God Bless America" and "America the Beautiful". The tune is that of "God Save the Queen" but the lyrics were written in 1832 by Samuel F. Smith. Most Americans (myself included) only know the first stanza, and have sung it in school for generations:

My country,' tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing;
land where my fathers died,
land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountainside let freedom ring!

~ Jenney

Aaarghh all I can hear now is Neil Diamonds "America" where he talks the first two lines of that verse in the middle.

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

When I go to my local Shop Rite supermarket in central NJ they always have a patriotic song playing full blast at the door way, usually it's

Star, Spangled Banner
My Country Tis of Thee
America the Beautiful
God Bless America
America - Neil Diamond
America - Simon & Garfunkel

By the way I sang my heart out to God Save The Queen at Meadowlands with a bottle of Bud in one hand and my St George flag in the other.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
While I'd like to agree with you I've a horrible feeling that the DJ's and governors voices will be the loudest ones in this and a lot of Americans who otherwise wouldnt give a toss will be now thinking along those same lines. If that had happened in the UK there would allegations of stirring racial hatred.
Well, I'll allege xenophobia to the nth degree on the part of the DJs. Anyone have their phone number? I'll give them what for.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, I'll allege xenophobia to the nth degree on the part of the DJs. Anyone have their phone number? I'll give them what for.
I despise shock jocks. Anyone who actually makes a living out of making racist, sexist comments, and trying there darndest to humiliate someone because they are handicapped needs to be introduced to the Iron Maiden - and I don't mean Margaret Thatcher, although that would also give them quite a scare.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
I despise shock jocks. Anyone who actually makes a living out of making racist, sexist comments, and trying there darndest to humiliate someone because they are handicapped needs to be introduced to the Iron Maiden - and I don't mean Margaret Thatcher, although that would also give them quite a scare.
Set them up on a blind date with Maggie?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: No Star Spangled Banner at England v Colombia match

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Ha ha......here it is at the end of the profile *but* if you look at the top right hand side of the page you can 'send Ed a message' (so I think I will):

http://www.wor710.com/wor_morning_show.shtml

(Home page; http://www.wor710.com)

Actually I think it's time to change radio stations now that the snow season has ended.....
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:49 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha......here it is at the end of the profile *but* if you look at the top right hand side of the page you can 'send Ed a message' (so I think I will)
My ex-husbroad's name is Ed. That will help the venom flow.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:49 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I attended the Chelsea v Celtic match in Seattle last summer and the star spangled banner was the only one played. Granted it was two club teams, but I thought it was pretty weird, considering most of the crowd were Scottish, Irish and English.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strim
<<snip>>
I think over here they play the US anthem before concerts as well most sports events, which would be why there was an expectation that it would be played.<<snip>>
I've been to a couple of concerts in the US, both American artists and the American national anthem was not played at either concert.

I'm going to another gig this month (another American band) and I very much doubt that the American national anthem will be played there either.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Was the American National Anthem played before non US games in the 94 world cup?.

Maybe they should have just played a rousing(sp) rendition of Lee Greenwoods "Proud to be an American".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.