Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No sarcasm ? I don't think so !

Wikiposts

No sarcasm ? I don't think so !

Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:30 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of
Default No sarcasm ? I don't think so !

Hey, I'm moving over in 3 weeks and all my friends keep saying that i'm going to have to stop being so bloody sarcastic cos no-one will get it.

I know that there's a stereo-type about Americans not getting sarcasm but I wondered what your experience was ?

I await your crass, thoughtless one-liners.

Rich./
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No sarcasm ? I don't think so !

Of course they do.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:44 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen
Hey, I'm moving over in 3 weeks and all my friends keep saying that i'm going to have to stop being so bloody sarcastic cos no-one will get it.

I know that there's a stereo-type about Americans not getting sarcasm but I wondered what your experience was ?

Rich./
No, Americans have a consumate knowledge of British humour and will get every last one of your sarcastic nuances in your jokes. They are also wonderful and polite drivers who don't believe in social climbing and form long term friendships with people outside of work.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:45 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich./
hiya and welcome my lovely hubs was born in the austin area many moons ago....yep forget your humour, wit, sarcasm as it's wasted here...for example a US lady i met a short time ago told me her husband was called herb so i said in a laughing tone "guess you call him 'erb" and it went right over the top of her head she asked me "why" and i went through the whole rigmarole of the americans referring to herbs as 'erbs and of course the moment was long gone....i don't even bother now and being a scouser i miss the humour more than anything....still good luck and maybe you'll win some of them over, cheers
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:49 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya and welcome my lovely hubs was born in the austin area many moons ago....yep forget your humour, wit, sarcasm as it's wasted here...for example a US lady i met a short time ago told me her husband was called herb so i said in a laughing tone "guess you call him 'erb" and it went right over the top of her head she asked me "why" and i went through the whole rigmarole of the americans referring to herbs as 'erbs and of course the moment was long gone....i don't even bother now and being a scouser i miss the humour more than anything....still good luck and maybe you'll win some of them over, cheers

Well that's lovely...

( cheers )
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:12 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcasm doesn't work in my office. They just think I'm being overly polite.

Example:

"Hey, can you work on this project and get it out by today?"

"Sure, I'm overloaded already, but I'll drop everything just for you and get it done. I'll explain to the other project managers that your request was by far more important than theirs so it had to go to the top of my list."

Blank stares, followed by a "thanks dude!"
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:23 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcasm they are fine with. It's Irony they cant understand.

If you find yourself in an argument with one of the locals dont bother attempting subtle repartee liberally sprinkled with a smorgasbord of nuance and wit...just adopt the native method of raising one finger and telling your adversary to go F*** themselves. Its the only thing that works.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:27 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
just adopt the native method of raising one finger and telling your adversary to go F*** themselves.
Whereupon they make use of their native right to bear arms
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:47 am
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Rich./
If you're expecting intelligent humour and wit.... FORGET IT! One of the things that I miss about Britain is the banter that goes on between friends, work colleagues, family, etc. Other Brits that I speak to also seem to miss it too. When I started work here I tried the wit and sarcasm on the natives but it just went straight over their heads (huh?, excuse me?) so I don't bother trying any more. I save it all up for the weekend when we see our Brit mates.

It's the funny things you miss about Britain, eh?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Rich./
The only sarcasm, wit & banter is what you will find on here stuck on this side of the pond We do have a few Yanks on here and they seem to fit in very nicely, so welcome to BE Richardowen
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:59 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
The only sarcasm, wit & banter is what you will find on here stuck on this side of the pond We do have a few Yanks on here and they seem to fit in very nicely, so welcome to BE Richardowen
Well there is one way to get a sarcastic comment to go across as a joke, at least in the south.

Take the previous example:

Sure, I'm overloaded already, but I'll drop everything just for you and get it done. I'll explain to the other project managers that your request was by far more important than theirs so it had to go to the top of my list.
Just modify it to add "Here's your sign" to the end. Most American's are a lot like computers. They won't get your meaning unless you explicitly state it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Engvall
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of it depends on where you live and work, some people do get the irony and sarcasm, many don't.

You can have fun with it, I've gotten a lot of the guys to say random things which they don't get, makes me smile like calling everyone slags
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Whereupon they make use of their native right to bear arms
You betcha ..................