Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

no reply for dinner invitation

no reply for dinner invitation

Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default no reply for dinner invitation

I have invited a family over to my house for dinner via email and did not get a reply. Its either they are not interested or offended by way of inviting them?

I am having difficulty getting an honest straight answer from most of the people in this country. Do I need to adjust my expectation? Any opinion how to deal with it?
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:05 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no reply for dinner invitation

Originally Posted by abboy
I have invited a family over to my house for dinner via email and did not get a reply. Its either they are not interested or offended by way of inviting them?

I am having difficulty getting an honest straight answer from most of the people in this country. Do I need to adjust my expectation? Any opinion how to deal with it?
Have they replied to any of your e-mail before (as it may auto go into their junk mail folder). If they don't have super strict filtering did you ask them to reply before a certain date?
Some people may not know what you expect from them (though it's obvious to us) so I would in any future invites to ask them to reply to your e-mail by a certain date.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:10 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Pick up the phone. I think you are completely over-thinking this and it's quite possible that there was some email glitch. Their lack of response does not necessarily translate into disinterest, offense, or evasiveness.

~SecretGarden
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno m8y i've heard similar stories lots of times over the few yrs i've been here....and imo yes adjust your expectations.

we invited neighbours over from across the lake at the back of our house a few yrs ago for some spare of the moment drinks, we had just popped a bottle of champers and thought it would be nice if they cared to join us...we could see them both in their garden and so when I saw them go into their house I phoned them on both their home and cell numbers both his and hers, faxed them and emailed them lol and still they did not respond....just a polite no would have been nice and when we saw them next out walking they never mentioned it and yes we had the right numbers coz i checked ...at least have the courtesy to responded imo.

good luck
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:18 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
dunno m8y i've heard similar stories lots of times over the few yrs i've been here....and imo yes adjust your expectations.

we invited neighbours over from across the lake at the back of our house a few yrs ago for some spare of the moment drinks, we had just popped a bottle of champers and thought it would be nice if they cared to join us...we could see them both in their garden and so when I saw them go into their house I phoned them on both their home and cell numbers both his and hers, faxed them and emailed them lol and still they did not respond....just a polite no would have been nice and when we saw them next out walking they never mentioned it and yes we had the right numbers coz i checked ...at least have the courtesy to responded imo.

good luck
I couldn't have left it at that I would have had to go and do a sarky so sorry you are having a problem with both your cell phones, your server and your home phone .
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Some people don't check their e-mail every day - or even every week.

It's funny you think their lack of response is rude ......

I find the method of invitation to be what is unreliable.

IMO, When inviting people .... an e-mail is really only okay as a follow-up or a reminder.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:24 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66

IMO, When inviting people .... an e-mail is really only okay as a follow-up or a reminder.
Why can't you *EVER* give a straight answer to anyone?

~SG
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Why can't you *EVER* give a straight answer to anyone?

~SG
Stuff it, girlie.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:27 pm

I feel like saying welcome to the US forum as you are rather a stranger round these parts
Who wants to be friends with people that aren't on the internet every day, if that's the reason DUMP THEM I SAY!
Account Closed

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I couldn't have left it at that I would have had to go and do a sarky so sorry you are having a problem with both your cell phones, your server and your home phone .
it was strange coz they were the ones who would always say 'we must get together' every time we'd see them walking around the lake. so when i saw them next after the incident and they suggested us all getting together i said i called you and emailed you to invite you over and they shook their heads as if in disbelief......dunno but i do know they got the email i sent 5 mins after i sent it coz it showed 'read' on my 'puter.

anyway it takes all sorts....
The Missus

Stuff it, girlie.

And just when I had adjusted my expectations of you.

~SG
back atcha
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

It has happened twice, but to different people. The last one was they already invited us over for dinner in their house via email and we gladly went. Now, that i am reciprocating their generosity , they never responded.

Could it be that I only gave them 5 days notice and its too short for them? I sent the email to them last Sunday for a dinner on Friday night, and there is no reply yet.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
it was strange coz they were the ones who would always say 'we must get together' every time we'd see them walking around the lake. so when i saw them next after the incident and they suggested us all getting together i said i called you and emailed you to invite you over and they shook their heads as if in disbelief......dunno but i do know they got the email i sent 5 mins after i sent it coz it showed 'read' on my 'puter.

anyway it takes all sorts....
Ah you're too nice I'd have wanted to slap her or something!
(I'm obviously having a "I don't want to be nice day")
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

It has happened twice, but to different people. The last one was they already invited us over for dinner in their house via email and we gladly went. Now, that i am reciprocating their generosity , they never responded.

Could it be that I only gave them 5 days notice and its too short for them? I sent the email to them last Sunday for a dinner on Friday night, and there is no reply yet.

for a dinner occasion i wouldn't rely on email, they may have puter probs...i'd phone them and try other methods of communication and then at least you know you tried...good luck
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Ah you're too nice I'd have wanted to slap her or something!
(I'm obviously having a "I don't want to be nice day")
lol it made for more champers to go round for us two

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.