Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No passport...!

No passport...!

Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No passport...!

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You need a passport to get out of the US, but it's not always swiped through the computer. I don't know the details of that.

You could get a UK passport from the UK embassy in Washington (it's none of their business what your immigration status in the US is - and for all they know, you could have a US passport, which is why there's no missing visa) and then duck through Canada/Mexico on your way to the UK.

The question then is whether there is a record of your overstay from x years ago. If not, you could get a visa waiver and do another bunk. If there is - you could be in trouble. I'm not recommending that, and you'd be taking a gamble - but it's all up to you.
No, you DON'T need a passport to get out of the US by road. You don't stop at the US checkpoint, you just drive past it and stop at the Canadian side. Of course, the US authorities do have the right to stop you on the way out; that has happened to me once out of maybe a hundred instances of driving from the US to Canada.
As for the Canadian officer, sometimes they wave you through without looking at documents, sometimes they ask to look at your passport or green card as the case may be.
I thought part of the issue here was this - the OP realised that if his UK passport was issued in Washington, DC, then that alone would alert the US authorities on his next attempt to enter the US that he had spent time in the US before. Getting the passport in Canada would avoid that possibility.

Robin

Robin
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:34 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No, you DON'T need a passport to get out of the US by road. You don't stop at the US checkpoint, you just drive past it and stop at the Canadian side. Of course, the US authorities do have the right to stop you on the way out; that has happened to me once out of maybe a hundred instances of driving from the US to Canada.
As for the Canadian officer, sometimes they wave you through without looking at documents, sometimes they ask to look at your passport or green card as the case may be.
I thought part of the issue here was this - the OP realised that if his UK passport was issued in Washington, DC, then that alone would alert the US authorities on his next attempt to enter the US that he had spent time in the US before. Getting the passport in Canada would avoid that possibility.

Robin

Robin
It's been a few years since I drove in to Canada but I've always had my documents looked at, so based on that, if the Canadian authorities refuse to let him in, I'm guessing in theory he could end up being arrested and deported from the US (as I say I don't recall how it works but I assume they would at the very least turn him back to the US, I don't know if that involves going through a US checkpoint but from what you say you have passed the US checkpoint by that point so you would presumably be sent back through it).
Old Dec 5th 2007, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
Quick summary...

Been here for five years without papers and such (hooked up with a girl whilst here for a wedding - turns out she wasn't 'the one').

My passport ran out last year although I misplaced it one month prior to it's end date. My Father's not too well and it's time to go and see him before that isn't possible anymore.
If I get a passport through official channels here, will it cause me problems for future visits? Or should I act like I'm still in the UK and get someone to help me from that end? Anyone who has been in this situation or knows my best course of action?

thanks
To put it bluntly, you're screwed. You can get back home, no problem, but you will get a ban for overstaying should you want to re-enter the US...I can't see any way around that. I can't even see what an immigration lawyer can do for you...only a really dodgy one would advise you to try to evade immigration laws by leaving from Canada or Mexico.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

British passports don't state the issuing office now, just "FCO". Not that that's what really matters here, but unless they have access to place of issue on their computers, all they will see is "FCO" and not "Washington DC" or "Ottawa" or wherever.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Mike Oxlong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I doubt ver much that the BP check where a Passport is issued.

They will know when he entered and know when he left, unless he swims.

He does not need a Passport to leave the US, no Immigration inspection this end, he does to enter the UK and obviously the Airline will check that he can enter the UK before issuing a Boarding Ticket.
thanks for the input to you and all
Old Dec 6th 2007, 5:28 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

No, you DON'T need a passport to get out of the US by road.
Aah, sorry, Robin Robin, I had two mistakes. Firstly, I misexpressed myself in my post: I meant you had to have a passport to enter Canada, not leave the US (a slight difference). Secondly, I am apparently wrong that you can spin the roulette wheel on not getting checked in Canada, too. D'oh!

Either way, not getting the passport in the US and then gambling that neither the US nor the Canadian guard will check you seems like spinning two roulette wheels when you need spin only one, and for not much additional benefit. And what happens when you fly out of Canada? I can't remember...
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Aah, sorry, Robin Robin, I had two mistakes. Firstly, I misexpressed myself in my post: I meant you had to have a passport to enter Canada, not leave the US (a slight difference). Secondly, I am apparently wrong that you can spin the roulette wheel on not getting checked in Canada, too. D'oh!

Either way, not getting the passport in the US and then gambling that neither the US nor the Canadian guard will check you seems like spinning two roulette wheels when you need spin only one, and for not much additional benefit. And what happens when you fly out of Canada? I can't remember...
Yeah, you're right... I realise now that the reason I usually don't have to show ID when I enter Canada is (1) I confidently assert that I'm a US Citizen, they take that at face value. If you stated you were British, they'd want to see your papers to see whether you were admissable to Canada, or readmissable to the US. (2) I think both the US and Canadian authorities keep a list of local residents who cross frequently and their car license numbers. Unknown folks may get more of a cross-questioning.
When you fly out of Canada, you simply have to show a British or US or other passport (to indicate that you'll be admitted to the UK,) both when you check in for the flight and when you go through security.
Robin
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Get a UK passport issued in the UK and sent to a mate there, then they can forward it to you.

I've never been checked when I've left the USA to go to Mexico. TJ
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you're right... I realise now that the reason I usually don't have to show ID when I enter Canada is (1) I confidently assert that I'm a US Citizen, they take that at face value. If you stated you were British, they'd want to see your papers to see whether you were admissable to Canada, or readmissable to the US. (2) I think both the US and Canadian authorities keep a list of local residents who cross frequently and their car license numbers. Unknown folks may get more of a cross-questioning.
When you fly out of Canada, you simply have to show a British or US or other passport (to indicate that you'll be admitted to the UK,) both when you check in for the flight and when you go through security.
Robin
When we have crossed the border using our US PP they have always been checked and swiped. They also ask where are you going, why are you going there and how long will you be staying.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we have crossed the border using our US PP they have always been checked and swiped. They also ask where are you going, why are you going there and how long will you be staying.
The question the Canadians always ask is - do you have anything with you that you intend to leave in Canada? They ask other random questions; do you have mace or pepper spray? do you have a gun? occasionally, but they ask the question about what you plan to leave in Canada almost every time. Since our local Goodwill store, where we donate our no-longer needed clothes, is in Canada, I regret to say I've told a white lie once in a while..
But as for swiping passports, virtually never.

Robin
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Get a UK passport issued in the UK and sent to a mate there, then they can forward it to you.

.....and hope that the package doesn't get inspected by the US Postal Service.

Jim.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
LOL. Yes. Im not condoning it, just suggesting it.

Bye the way, just reread the OP's user name
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:39 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
And if it did? It's not illegal to send and receive passports.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Mike Oxlong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

This is what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
This is what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks
Why would you do that and what address would you put of the forms? If it's not your present address and you are deliberately trying to deceive you are committing an offence. Just apply to DC for a new PP...they are not interested in your status in the US. Your problem is US immigration if or when you try to re-enter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.