Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No Passion To Work In US

No Passion To Work In US

Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Passion To Work In US

I know it is the Christmas season and all and that we are wishing people happiness and peace but your post raises my blood pressure a tad.

If you truly feel as you as stated below, then why the hell did you accept and sign a contract to move to the US to live and work? Are you just that truly selfish that you only thought of your own gain and not the cost to a company sponsoring you? Apparently you are since you are now willing to break the contract and stay in OZ which apparently didn't want to leave in the first place.

You will be very lucky if they don't hold you to the contract and/or make you reimburse them for the fees expended on your behalf.

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Why would anybody in this world will relocate to US if he is getting same salary in his home country (where he have family and relatives).Unless and until its something exceptional money or exceptional benefits. I know mostly all foreign people are getting paid in USD (tax free) while working in Africa as well. Why to make your life more difficult by entering into United States (where getting a citizenship status is also a big issue).

Its the US Government rules,policies and procedures, who want to make the employer sponsoring from their country out of money.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
I know it is the Christmas season and all and that we are wishing people happiness and peace but your post raises my blood pressure a tad.

If you truly feel as you as stated below, then why the hell did you accept and sign a contract to move to the US to live and work? Are you just that truly selfish that you only thought of your own gain and not the cost to a company sponsoring you? Apparently you are since you are now willing to break the contract and stay in OZ which apparently didn't want to leave in the first place.

You will be very lucky if they don't hold you to the contract and/or make you reimburse them for the fees expended on your behalf.
I Agree with the comment above.

I also think that if you back out now you will end any possibility of anybody but a US citizen working for that company again.

I also have been offered a job in the US, OK the visa is a marriage based one but all the same, they have payed for immigration lawyers, my expenses for the interview, etc, etc.

For me to back out now cause I found another job in the UK would in my opinion be un-ethical. I have entered into a verbal, written and trust based contract with this company which I fully intend to honour (I leave on he 29th ).
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:36 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: No Passion To Work In US

Originally Posted by augigi
I assume you'd think about these issues BEFORE applying for a job and getting an employer to fork out cash for your visa. WTF does working in Africa have to do with the question you asked? Citizenship has nothing to do with getting a non-immigrant work visa. I really don't understand your point.
Citizenship have very hard impact on non immigrant visa. People work as non immigrant(away from their family and friends) in other country for better money or better future only. All employers are selfish.They are not your buddies who will keep you in US if they dont have oppurtunities for you.
Its same thing if they find somebody working for them cheaper than you what are the gurranttee or contracts that they will not replace you?

Employers are obliged to keep you legal while working in US therefore they have to spend on your so called visa.

Last edited by smurtaza; Dec 24th 2007 at 6:41 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 8:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

complete shite.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship have very hard impact on non immigrant visa. People work as non immigrant(away from their family and friends) in other country for better money or better future only.
You say away from family .... many immigrants do bring their families.

You're right, people do move for better money or more chance of job advancement / learning new skills.... or better living conditions, which is why so many of our skilled worker visas go to people from the subcontinent. I am a bit confused as to why you applied and went through the process if you could land a similar job in Australia.

It is easily possible that not taking this job could mean not getting a visa here in future, since the company has to apply for it, and you have to disclose previous visas issued. But -- if you're happy in Australia and believe you have a long term future there, then by all means stay. If you'd like to put it right, reimburse the US company for the visa fees. Sure, the government charges the fees, but the company pays them.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: No Passion To Work In US

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You say away from family .... many immigrants do bring their families.

You're right, people do move for better money or more chance of job advancement / learning new skills.... or better living conditions, which is why so many of our skilled worker visas go to people from the subcontinent. I am a bit confused as to why you applied and went through the process if you could land a similar job in Australia.

It is easily possible that not taking this job could mean not getting a visa here in future, since the company has to apply for it, and you have to disclose previous visas issued. But -- if you're happy in Australia and believe you have a long term future there, then by all means stay. If you'd like to put it right, reimburse the US company for the visa fees. Sure, the government charges the fees, but the company pays them.
Technically, you must not bring the family if you are on non-immigrant visa. Another way is to ask the employer to call me during the later stage of the project, as the visa is valid for 2 years and repay him the visa cost by working for him.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:31 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, you must not bring the family if you are on non-immigrant visa.
Um, that's bollocks, that is.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, you must not bring the family if you are on non-immigrant visa.
Rubbish. I think all NIV have dependent visas for family members. Certainly the E3 does.

Citizenship have very hard impact on non immigrant visa. People work as non immigrant(away from their family and friends) in other country for better money or better future only. All employers are selfish.They are not your buddies who will keep you in US if they dont have oppurtunities for you. Its same thing if they find somebody working for them cheaper than you what are the gurranttee or contracts that they will not replace you?
I am going to work on a non-immigrant visa because I want the experience of working in a larger, higher-volume hospital than I can access in Australia. I do not want a green card, and I do not want citizenship. I just want to work there for a few years for experience. They want me there because I am uniquely skilled for the position they have. It's a win-win.

If you truly feel as you as stated below, then why the hell did you accept and sign a contract to move to the US to live and work? Are you just that truly selfish that you only thought of your own gain and not the cost to a company sponsoring you?
Oh good. I'm glad someone agrees this is not ethical!
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
complete shite.

Yes, you are at times
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are at times
merry christmas rete, love ya really.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
I Agree with the comment above.

I do not. Contractual issues aside, the US is a free market. The first employer has the ability to counter offer if they really want the guy.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
For me to back out now cause I found another job in the UK would in my opinion be un-ethical. I have entered into a verbal, written and trust based contract with this company which I fully intend to honour (I leave on he 29th ).
They wouldn't think anything of kicking you in the shits themselves though, right to fire and all that fun stuff...so I wouldn't think to much of it...
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They wouldn't think anything of kicking you in the shits themselves though, right to fire and all that fun stuff...so I wouldn't think to much of it...
Too true.

Wasn't there a guy on an H1b posting just a couple of weeks ago who was fired with almost no notice? Just after he'd bought a house here. Has a wife and 2 kids, and unless he finds another employer who is prepared to take over the H1b sponsorship, they'll all have to leave, with no grace period for winding up their affairs here.

Bloody nightmare.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:02 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't arrived in US. My logic is simple if I pay tax in Australia I have access to social security (children money in Australia) whereas paying tax in US will not pay me anything on E3 visa.

An agreement effective October 1, 2002, between the United States and Australia improves Social Security protection for people who spend part of their working life in both countries. It helps many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disability or survivors benefits under the Social Security system of one or both countries. It also helps people who would otherwise have to pay contributions to both countries on the same earnings.

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr.../austrlia.html

Call 410-965-0144 if you have questions on benefits under the agreement or call 410-965-3549 or 410-965-7386 for questions on the coverage rules of the agreement. You can call Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. (Eastern U.S. Time) or write to:

Social Security Administration
Office of International Programs
P.O. Box 17741
Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7741
USA
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:34 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I do not. Contractual issues aside, the US is a free market. The first employer has the ability to counter offer if they really want the guy.
Originally Posted by Bob
Unfortunately absolutely Gents.

Its really a shame that the US work environment is like this. I for one, would love to work in an atmosphere where loyalty and effort were reciprocated.
Seems to me that companies lose out much on the potential enthusiasm of their workers.

Like Ian Dury said, *what a waste*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.