Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No more red double-decker buses :(

No more red double-decker buses :(

Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No more red double-decker buses :(

Originally Posted by Elvira
"BENEFITS:
Permission to look down on all non-Premium members ...
"
And heres a small avatar for mrs meany
Attached Images  
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:02 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The ones that are being retired are the ancient Routemaster buses that have an open platform at the back, with both a driver in a separate cabin, AND a conductor who takes your money (and rings the bell when the bus is ready to depart, and helps old ladies with their shopping, young mums with their buggies, and middle-aged travellers such as yours-truly with their roll-on ).

The modern double-decker buses are also red, but the they have two doors: a front entrance where you show your ticket or pass to the driver (there's no conductor), and one in the middle where you get off.
So what you're saying is.... The modern buses are just regular buses like you see everywhere else, only red and with two levels.

Well, based on that, then yes... I am going to miss the Routemaster buses that I haven't had the opportunity to take yet! I'm big on nostalgia -- even if it isn't mine!

~ Jenney
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
bit of a shame, but in the end, those things swayed, they stank, and those stairs sucked...so not to bothered *l*
Years ago when I was at college in Jo'burg, I'd catch one of the double decker buses. Most of them were pretty old, and I can't count the times I wondered if we were going to tip over as it went around a corner. Like the leaning tower of Pisa they were. Sitting upstairs, smoking section, was a hair raising event all on its own some days, especially if we got a youngster as a driver!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:21 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
So what you're saying is.... The modern buses are just regular buses like you see everywhere else, only red and with two levels.

Well, based on that, then yes... I am going to miss the Routemaster buses that I haven't had the opportunity to take yet! I'm big on nostalgia -- even if it isn't mine!

~ Jenney
This is the routemaster design, which is being retired:

This is what most London buses look like (and have done for years):