Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No more red double-decker buses :(

No more red double-decker buses :(

Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No more red double-decker buses :(

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Well, I don't know what the difference is, to be honest with you. I didn't know there was more than one kind of red double-decker bus.

~ Jenney

The ones that are being retired are the ancient Routemaster buses that have an open platform at the back, with both a driver in a separate cabin, AND a conductor who takes your money (and rings the bell when the bus is ready to depart, and helps old ladies with their shopping, young mums with their buggies, and middle-aged travellers such as yours-truly with their roll-on ).

The modern double-decker buses are also red, but the they have two doors: a front entrance where you show your ticket or pass to the driver (there's no conductor), and one in the middle where you get off.

They look similar, but are a world apart. The modern ones are a lot more comfortable to ride in, but most 'old' Londoners will probably mourn the passing of the Routemaster (or at least feel slightly nostalgic about them).
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
We both try ...
to enlighten your life a little ..
we don't always suceed..
Like we really give a shit ..
Ah, a classic Ray haiku. Priceless.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah, a classic Ray haiku. Priceless.
Worth every penny of the $10 you don't pay to be here .
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:12 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Spoken like a true premium member Ray, glad to see the British class system is alive and well in the US.......
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Spoken like a true premium member Ray, glad to see the British class system is alive and well in the US.......
I ain't one of you Brits ...
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:26 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I ain't one of you Brits ...
Medication Ray.....medication
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boulder
I am well pleased as they were not accessible to everyone and the UK is so far behind the US (and some others I guess)
What, having a public transport system so behind? *lol*...and who cares if they weren't accessable to everyone, they were old, and so many new buses on the roads I dont' think anyone really gave a poop.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:29 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Call me stupid (and I'm sure you will) but now you've shamed me into opening my wallet I've completely failed to find where to pay for the privilege of belonging to this exclusive BE club.

...or is it by special invite only, this $10 membership fee?
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:39 pm
Arrogant ****

Call me stupid (and I'm sure you will) but now you've shamed me into opening my wallet I've completely failed to find where to pay for the privilege of belonging to this exclusive BE club.

...or is it by special invite only, this $10 membership fee?
Ah, found it, paid it. All done.

Ray, if I understood you, I now have the right to be even more obnoxiously condescending that I was when I was a freeloader.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, if I understood you, I now have the right to be even more obnoxiously condescending that I was when I was a freeloader.
Are there any other benefits to being a PM?

And is this $10 a month, a year or once-in-a-lifetime?

And yes, I can't be bothered to DMOR - not right now anyway
Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:04 am
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Elvira

And yes, I can't be bothered to DMOR - not right now anyway
BENEFITS:

1) Permission to look down on all non-Premium members for being poor.
2) Free use of BOB at all times. If you can't think of something to post, he'll post for you.*
3) Instant Green Card, perfect credit score, access to unlimited Marmite and Tetley Teabags for free and a home in Florida right in Disney World.**
4) A slightly larger avatar, whatever the **** that is.
5) Convenient payment through spoof PayPal site, guaranteeing identity theft and the use of your credit card by Columbian drug dealers in perpetuity.***
6) A BE blog, 'cos if you aren't blogging, you don't exist.
7) A BE photo album because even if you blog, you're nobody without an online stalker.

* Void where prohibited by law
** After completing three of the required introductory sponsor offers listed in Terms & Conditions
*** Available only to a random selection of our most valued customers

(It's $10 for 6 months and you don't have to see the banner ads on the site)

Last edited by dbj1000; Dec 10th 2005 at 12:07 am.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:45 am
Homebody

BENEFITS:
"BENEFITS:

1) Permission to look down on all non-Premium members ...
Not an incentive for me - I'm a Trotzkyist

2) Free use of BOB at all times.
Can I use Bob only for posting or for other things too?

3) Instant Green Card, perfect credit score,....
Already got a GC (as of yesterday!!), credit score is top-notch AFAIK, can't say for th erest...

4) A slightly larger ....
One day I shall work out how to do one of them avatar thingies! .

5) Convenient payment through spoof PayPal site, ...***
:scared:

6) ... if you aren't blogging, you don't exist.
I decide whether I exist or not!

7) ... you're nobody without an online stalker.
May I refer the honourable gentleman to an answer I gave earlier.

* Void where prohibited by law
** After completing three of the required introductory sponsor offers listed in Terms & Conditions
*** Available only to a random selection of our most valued customers

$10 for 6 months and you don't have to see the banner ads on the site)[/i]
What banner ads?
"
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:07 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

3) Instant Green Card, perfect credit score,....
Already got a GC (as of yesterday!!), credit score is top-notch AFAIK, can't say for the rest...
Congrats!!

~ Jenney
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

$10 for six months....get private photo albums in the photopost...errr...larger avatar, larger file attachments....larger pm allowance....no adverts....the photo blog thingy I guess...errr...those are the main points...
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:23 am
Ray

That is correct... here a bigger avatar for you ..
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.