Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No more faggots :(

No more faggots :(

Old Jul 6th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default No more faggots :(

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's television watchdog banned a supermarket chain on Monday from using the word "faggot" in a commercial, referring to a traditional British dish.

Somerfield's ad featured a husband complaining about his wife's repetitive cooking.

When she told him it was Friday so he was getting his usual faggots, a traditional dish of meatballs in gravy, he said: "I've nothing against faggots, I just don't fancy them."

"Three listeners were offended, as they believed the husband's response alluded to homosexuals, faggots being a derogatory term for them," said media watchdog Ofcom.

But Somerfield denied Ofcom's charge. "Faggots were chosen to demonstrate the idea because they are commonly perceived as an outdated and slightly comical product, not because of any allusions to homosexuality," it said.

But Ofcom ruled that the term was "highly derogatory" and banned the advert from being broadcast again.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tain_faggot_dc
Old Jul 6th 2004, 5:47 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Why doesn't the supermarket just rebrand itself as Bummerfield - sure to capture the Pink Pound then!!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No more faggots :(

Originally posted by ScousePete
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's television watchdog banned a supermarket chain on Monday from using the word "faggot" in a commercial, referring to a traditional British dish.

Somerfield's ad featured a husband complaining about his wife's repetitive cooking.

When she told him it was Friday so he was getting his usual faggots, a traditional dish of meatballs in gravy, he said: "I've nothing against faggots, I just don't fancy them."

"Three listeners were offended, as they believed the husband's response alluded to homosexuals, faggots being a derogatory term for them," said media watchdog Ofcom.

But Somerfield denied Ofcom's charge. "Faggots were chosen to demonstrate the idea because they are commonly perceived as an outdated and slightly comical product, not because of any allusions to homosexuality," it said.

But Ofcom ruled that the term was "highly derogatory" and banned the advert from being broadcast again.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tain_faggot_dc

Why are people so obsessed?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Do you think they serve faggots in that Scottish B&B ?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:08 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lothianlad
Radio Scotland it said he may well lose his licence with the Scottish Tourist Board..I hope he will with the kind of language he used.
Originally posted by Lothianlad
Why are people so obsessed?

So one minute you're saying it's a good thing people not be allowed to be homophobic, then they are obsessed if they try to rid the world of prejudice and what not.

Where do you stand?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976

So one minute you're saying it's a good thing people not be allowed to be homophobic, then they are obsessed if they try to rid the world of prejudice and what not.

Where do you stand?
On my own two feet.

I never say people should or should not be allowed to do or say anything legal. That is democracy I guess. It's just that we are still easy targets for discriminatory comments that would not be tolerated if directed to any other minority group and I thought that this was going to be yet another one of those threads. That's all.

Anyway, Im watching Wife Swap on tv right now

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

So a man is not allowed to practise his religion in the privacy of his own house then ? Since when did those rights end in a democracy ?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
So a man is not allowed to practise his religion in the privacy of his own house then ? Since when did those rights end in a democracy ?
Och...I nearly forgot to reply! Sorry. Yeah, I agree.

nae more I want to say now.