Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No let up from the constant bills here!

Wikiposts

No let up from the constant bills here!

Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No let up from the constant bills here!

Originally Posted by FrenchFrog
Debit cards, I have no idea why somebody would use them over here. Not seen any yet that gives you any cash back or advantages over a credit card.
Visa do points rewards on debit cards if you ask them for it.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Debit cards, I have no idea why somebody would use them over here. Not seen any yet that gives you any cash back or advantages over a credit card.
I've only ever used debit cards, even in UK. Well I had credit cards once but I end up not paying the full balance and getting into a load of debt. Now my philisophy is, if I don't have the cash, I cannot buy it. A debit card is just an ATM without having to carry change.

Plus, my bank (National City) does give points* & my other debit card (through paypal) gives 1% cash back.
* points - spend $10,000 and get a free gym bag
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
... or they do not wish to use credit at all. There are some folks like that.
Me!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm surprised you are having to pay your bills via Paytrust. My bank offers exactly the same service for free.

As for quarterly bills in the UK: people generally have monthly direct debits which cover the bill when it is due, so they don't have to pay a huge bill all at once. Basically it means you never have to worry about paying the bills (just make sure you have enough $$$ in the account, obviously).
Oh I don't have to use Paytrust. My bank also has free bill paying - but I didn't like how theirs works at all. I started with American Express bill pay and Paytrust took it over.

Also - I'm not sure about the bank's service - but Paytrust receives the bills also, not just pays them. So when I'm not in town I don't have to worry about missing a bill - most are delivered electronically to Paytrust, and the others are mailed to them, and scanned, so I only see them online.

And you could set up your bills to be automatically paid by Paytrust in basically the same fashion as the direct debits - just happen automatically ever month (and yes, there is that same picky thing about having money in the account )

I'm not really trying to be a commercial for Paytrust, perhaps some banks offer just as good service. I have just been very happy with it, it's made my life easier. And there's almost never been a problem, and with any minor problem the customer service couldn't be better.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Oh I don't have to use Paytrust. My bank also has free bill paying - but I didn't like how theirs works at all. I started with American Express bill pay and Paytrust took it over.

Also - I'm not sure about the bank's service - but Paytrust receives the bills also, not just pays them. So when I'm not in town I don't have to worry about missing a bill - most are delivered electronically to Paytrust, and the others are mailed to them, and scanned, so I only see them online.

And you could set up your bills to be automatically paid by Paytrust in basically the same fashion as the direct debits - just happen automatically ever month (and yes, there is that same picky thing about having money in the account )

I'm not really trying to be a commercial for Paytrust, perhaps some banks offer just as good service. I have just been very happy with it, it's made my life easier. And there's almost never been a problem, and with any minor problem the customer service couldn't be better.
the only effective way to stop big coporations "time warner cable" from stealing money from your account is to tell them you will notify the bank of fraudulent activity on your account by them.
Recently they stole $.38 from my account. Of course no big deal but its the principle here. They told me the amount was too small to refund as a cheque. Now you know that if it was the other way around they would have the lawyers after me as quick as a flash.
I told them I would notify my bank of their fraud and their bank and my bank could battle it out. they agreed this might be the best way to get my money back.
I think the real problem is that there is no centralised nationwide inter bank system like BACS or DD. There are so many banks here of all shapes and sizes, no doubt some still use typewriters its hard to connect them all up. In Uk we just have a few really and its comparatively easy to join them all up. because everything is still done with cheques or built on the cheque concept its just not designed for the digital age.
The fact that there is no way to easily and for free transfer money from my account to yours its very annoying and backward. I cant even transfer monye from my account to my wife's non joint account in the same bank without using a cheque.
Cancel cable.. youre having a laugh mate.. its nearly impossible. Those 'b**trds* will suck you dry and make your life a misery. They were supposed to pick up the cable box but never did and then started to try and charge me because of their miserable failure!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In the UK you have to go through the bank to set up and cancel DD's...that's the reason your daughter was still being charged. Here you don't...you do it all through the vendor. In the UK no-one has access to your account and no-one can get information about your account...not even the police unless they have a warrant to do so.

Last year Chase transferred too much money into my UK account. They said 'we'll call the Nat West and ask for them to return the money'...they couldn't understand that the Nat West couldn't do this without my written permission and the permission had to be an original copy...not a fax etc.
She did cancel it with the bank and the travel insurance company. It was both the bank and the company's fault. This is not the first time she's had problems with this bank. A few years ago we had some transactions we needed to do with our bank in the UK (Abbey National) we needed some money from savings to buy our house. In the end, my husband was able to fax over his request with his signature.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that some feel more secure knowing that the bill is payed right away but why piss on some additional earned interest on your money and at least a 1% cash back? For a couple years now we have been paying EVERYTHING possible with a credit card (of course paying it off every month) and have made over $500 every year in interest and cash back (not taxable ).
Another benefit is that most our bills hit the credit card and don't need to be payed one by one. The only thing we still have to send checks for are water and medical bills. You can also dispute the charge in case of a problem or just close it out.

I know that this doesn't work for a lot of people in this country that are not used to pay of anything and love credit card debt but I am sure a lot of folks here would do just fine.....

Even after three years now I sill am amazed at the American credit system. I think I am repeating myself but I love this system that, if used right, gives you only upsides making other suckers pay the downsides....
We have actually looked into a credit card from our mortgage company that offers points. You can redeem these points for deductions off of our (or whomever, as the case may be) mortgage principal amount. So we plan on using that thing for everything under the sun (well the stuff we would normally use cash for during the month.)
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

What I like about our bank's bill paying service is the fact that the money doesn't leave our account until the day the bill is due.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
She did cancel it with the bank and the travel insurance company. It was both the bank and the company's fault. This is not the first time she's had problems with this bank. A few years ago we had some transactions we needed to do with our bank in the UK (Abbey National) we needed some money from savings to buy our house. In the end, my husband was able to fax over his request with his signature.
Apologies...but in your original post you only mentioned your daughter that had contacted the insurance company.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Apologies...but in your original post you only mentioned your daughter that had contacted the insurance company.
Yes I did, sorry.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

What I like about our bank's bill paying service is the fact that the money doesn't leave our account until the day the bill is due.
That's a nice feature. I think I could do something close to that - but probably not on the exact day. Probably a bank could do that better. The only thing - I think some places (credit cards for example) say you need to allow a few days for processing - I wonder if some of them wouldn't charge late fees if they didn't get a few days extra.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice feature. I think I could do something close to that - but probably not on the exact day. Probably a bank could do that better. The only thing - I think some places (credit cards for example) say you need to allow a few days for processing - I wonder if some of them wouldn't charge late fees if they didn't get a few days extra.
tracy.. missed u today! I have got some good ideas here about putting on a credit card and collecting bonus miles, or points. Hadnt thought about it before as long as u keep on top of the credit card. Isnt there though a % that u have to pay because ur using a credit card?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

You misunderstand - the bills get paid on time, but the bank does not take the money from our account until the due date.

For instance, our mortgage is due on the second of the month. If I paid by check, I would have to send it several days ahead of time, and there'd be a risk that the check might clear before my husband's salary reaches our account.

As it is, the bank pays the mortgage on time, but doesn't take the money from our account until the 2nd of the month.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deedee13
tracy.. missed u today! I have got some good ideas here about putting on a credit card and collecting bonus miles, or points. Hadnt thought about it before as long as u keep on top of the credit card. Isnt there though a % that u have to pay because ur using a credit card?
Awww thank you. Was taking a friend to the hospital for some tests. Turned out fine btw.

You do not pay any extra % for using a credit card, not anywhere I can think of anyway. Businesses pay the % to the credit card company.

Good idea - lots of people use their card to get cash back or bonus miles. Make sure the credit card has the right grace periods, etc., so if you pay it off each month you pay no interest.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You misunderstand - the bills get paid on time, but the bank does not take the money from our account until the due date.

For instance, our mortgage is due on the second of the month. If I paid by check, I would have to send it several days ahead of time, and there'd be a risk that the check might clear before my husband's salary reaches our account.

As it is, the bank pays the mortgage on time, but doesn't take the money from our account until the 2nd of the month.
Not sure if we're saying the same thing, sorry as I mentioned, tired tonight.

Paying by check, sure, you have to allow lots of extra time.

With a debit kinda thing (banks or paytrust) they actually debit the bank account on the day they give the money to the credit card company, utility etc. Actually in my case, maybe there's one extra day in there, not sure.

But... don't some companies (like rotten credit card companies) need a day or two to "process" the payment? Or am I dreaming lol...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.