Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No End In Sight For Heathrow Flight Chaos

No End In Sight For Heathrow Flight Chaos

Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No End In Sight For Heathrow Flight Chaos

my girlfriend who is BA cabin crew on the toronto/LHR flight this evening called me again from the airport for a last chat before she heads back across the pond and there are no delays on her flight so looks like LHR will be ok in the morning ...famous last words spoken coz they could divert if the fog comes down again....oh how i miss those days...NOT
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

There wasn't so much a problem with the long haul flight departures; they are given priority so it was the domestic and short haul flights from LHR which have been cancelled. I assume that BAA prefers domestic passengers to switch to rail and road instead, whereas if you're flying to Bangkok you have little choice.

The problem is that instead of a three mile gap between aircraft departing and landing, this has to increase to six miles in thick fog - so there aren't enough hours in the day to accommodate all the plane movements at the busiest international airport in the world so they have to cancel flights.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
My daughter flies in from Manchester, departing tomorrow morning. The current status is
"Manchester Airport is currently fully operational with flights leaving on time."
and I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way for the next 24 hours . . .
I am flying to Manchester tomorrow (Friday). With the storm in the west and the fog in the UK, I hope everything goes well. It is so stressful traveling at Christmas time. If you miss the flight, then you're screwed! I wish everyone a pleasant Christmas and a safe trip wherever you travel.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There wasn't so much a problem with the long haul flight departures; they are given priority so it was the domestic and short haul flights from LHR which have been cancelled. I assume that BAA prefers domestic passengers to switch to rail and road instead, whereas if you're flying to Bangkok you have little choice.

The problem is that instead of a three mile gap between aircraft departing and landing, this has to increase to six miles in thick fog - so there aren't enough hours in the day to accommodate all the plane movements at the busiest international airport in the world so they have to cancel flights.
LHR is currently 450m in freezing fog

A cynic would say that BA cancels the domestic flights first because they are the least profitable....not me you understand, but a cynic.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rompers
LHR is currently 450m in freezing fog

A cynic would say that BA cancels the domestic flights first because they are the least profitable....not me you understand, but a cynic.
nah it's usually coz the crew can't get to the airport coz of the fog
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I am flying to Manchester tomorrow (Friday). With the storm in the west and the fog in the UK, I hope everything goes well. It is so stressful traveling at Christmas time. If you miss the flight, then you're screwed! I wish everyone a pleasant Christmas and a safe trip wherever you travel.

Last year we flew to the Manchester overnight on Christmas Eve. No probs with the weather...but the seats were heavily overbooked. Fortunately I checked in on line 24 hrs before take off. There were a lot of angry disappointed people that night.

Good Luck and enjoy your Christmas back home.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 2:12 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Last year we flew to the Manchester overnight on Christmas Eve. No probs with the weather...but the seats were heavily overbooked. Fortunately I checked in on line 24 hrs before take off. There were a lot of angry disappointed people that night.

Good Luck and enjoy your Christmas back home.

If I fly home next Christmas (which is my plan) then I think that I will try and fly out the week before just in case something silly happens then you have some time to play with. Anyway, I can't stand airports at this time of the year, way too claustrophobic for my liking.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My parents took off from Manchester on time this morning.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nah it's usually coz the crew can't get to the airport coz of the fog
How do the crews of the transatlantic/long haul flights manage to get it then?
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
they have to be at the airport earlier and put up in a hotel till called out v the short haul who don't.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 3:47 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughters flight departed from Manchester too.

Happy Christmas

Originally Posted by mandpete
My parents took off from Manchester on time this morning.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
My daughters flight departed from Manchester too.

Happy Christmas

Bet you can't wait to see her again. Have a great Christmas with her Dave.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb

Mcr clear as a bell just a little cold. All flights on time as of 5pm UK time 22/12 Have a good holiday
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rushman

there's not so many longhaul flights departing as the short haul plus lots of longhaul crew do stand-by's at the airport hotels
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there's not so many longhaul flights departing as the short haul plus lots of longhaul crew do stand-by's at the airport hotels
And longhaul pilots tend to be more resourceful (and better looking, more charming and better in bed.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.