Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No credit history

No credit history

Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No credit history

Originally Posted by rincewind
Funny, they told me I couldn't do that when I called.
because they shouldn't, because they consider MBNA Europe a seperate business...they also changed a bunch of practices last year, and now with BoA...even less likely to happen.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I did a search and there is a wealth of info on here. Thanks.

Do credit union credit cards count towards credit?
They should.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Credit reporting on additional cards is mixed and variable among card issuers. As you say, the best bet is to see if they can convert it to a joint account (usually requires a call to the cust. serv. rep.). Some can, some can't. Some report the additional user, some don't.

A good website for those needing credit card information is www.creditboards.com. It's not designed specifically for expats but more for those who are "credit challenged" .....like most of us when we first arrive here.

It's a forum site where people post questions, comments etc so take some stuff with a pinch of salt (as you should with advice/opinions on this site too )
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:53 pm
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice
Smile Re: No credit history

If all credit cards count, how come people recommend getting one from a 'big' bank? Are some cards better than others or do all cards report credit the same way and have equal weight?
I think that the 'Big Bank' recommendation is mostly for the Secured Credit Cards, the thinking being that you have less chance of being ripped off with high annual charges and APR rates. Maybe also to ensure that the usage is reported to the Credit bureaus
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:08 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a joint bank account with my partner at Bank of America and then less than 6 months later I applied for my own BOA credit card (not joint) and was given one immediately with a $4000 limit. I had anticipated a lot more trouble after reading this board but for some reason it was easy. Maybe it's because I have my bank account with them.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:17 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I opened a joint bank account with my partner at Bank of America and then less than 6 months later I applied for my own BOA credit card (not joint) and was given one immediately with a $4000 limit. I had anticipated a lot more trouble after reading this board but for some reason it was easy. Maybe it's because I have my bank account with them.
hmm, maybe I'll try and get a credit card at my bank too.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:21 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

May be worth a try but not all banks actually provide their own credit cards (they might be able to give a card with their name on them but another bank/company might be the ones who actually provide the card). My bank is Wachovia and they couldn't help me for that very reason, although they did try I was still rejected so might be worth asking first.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Right time, right place and you can be lucky! They change the secret underwriting criteria at a whim. When Amex brought out Blue they were going for a new market segment and they were throwing 'em out like confetti to all and sundry. They seem to have tightened up a bit recently.

Consider the negative affects on your score of being rejected though before you apply. But it's probably worth asking and if rejected take the secured card for the minimum amount instead and play the silly game of charging 20% and paying it off in full for 6 to 12 months or so.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
May be worth a try but not all banks actually provide their own credit cards (they might be able to give a card with their name on them but another bank/company might be the ones who actually provide the card). My bank is Wachovia and they couldn't help me for that very reason, although they did try I was still rejected so might be worth asking first.
Yup....MBNA have most of the credit cards out there, and BoA....with the merger going ahead, could be a very iffy time to get a credit card, I'd wait till 2nd Jan before applying for a credit card because that's when any big annoucements will be made regarding the details of the mergers, who will have a job, where, and changes to the credit cards.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:12 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

What is Wachovia like for service and fees? I'm thinking of opening an account there.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What is Wachovia like for service and fees? I'm thinking of opening an account there.
I have my checking account and credit card with them (though the credit card operation is contracted to, ..... MBNA, for now at least, though I hear that might change soon, now that MBNA is being bought by Bank of America).

Wachovia has a very high customer satisfaction rating - top amoung the larger banks for the past 3-4 years, and customer satisfaction has actually been rising, which is doubly odd because (i) they are a large bank, and Americans generally seem to distrust large banks (and not without good reason), and (ii) Wachovia has been through two major mergers, and it normally under such circumstances, when managment take their eyes off the ball, that customer service slides.

If you have your salary paid directly into a Wachovia account you will avoid the usual service fees (monthly, check processing, in-house ATM), but still have to pay for check printing, and non-Wachovia ATM withdrawals, and run the risk of bounced check/ OD charges. If you have a Wachovia credit card you can also set up OD protection, so that checks will clear even if you have insufficient funds- though it will trigger a "cash advance" fee on your credit card.

In short - would I recommend them? Yes!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 30th 2005 at 12:25 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:02 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have my checking account and credit card with them (though the credit card operation is contracted to, ..... MBNA, for now at least, though I hear that might change soon, now that MBNA is being bought by Bank of America).

Wachovia has a very high customer satisfaction rating - top amoung the larger banks for the past 3-4 years, and customer satisfaction has actually been rising, which is doubly odd because (i) they are a large bank, and Americans generally seem to distrust large banks (and not without good reason), and (ii) Wachovia has been through two major mergers, and it normally under such circumstances, when managment take their eyes off the ball, that customer service slides.

If you have your salary paid directly into a Wachovia account you will avoid the usual service fees (monthly, check processing, in-house ATM), but still have to pay for check printing, and non-Wachovia ATM withdrawals, and run the risk of bounced check/ OD charges. If you have a Wachovia credit card you can also set up OD protection, so that checks will clear even if you have insufficient funds- though it will trigger a "cash advance" fee on your credit card.

In short - would I recommend them? Yes!
I think I have what they call the Crown Access banking option and I think I get free check printing and a couple of "fee-free" withdrawals from other banks each month with that - I have this combined with a money market account and there is a requirement of an average balance to avoid fees, but I've never been charged for anything. Customer service is excellent - they're always friendly and helpful- they have even provided letters for me (instantly I might add) with no charge (my wife has got similar letters from her own bank - Bank of America - and was charged $15 per letter).
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:20 pm

I think I have what they call the Crown Access banking option and I think I get free check printing and a couple of "fee-free" withdrawals from other banks each month with that - I have this combined with a money market account and there is a requirement of an average balance to avoid fees, but I've never been charged for anything. Customer service is excellent - they're always friendly and helpful- they have even provided letters for me (instantly I might add) with no charge (my wife has got similar letters from her own bank - Bank of America - and was charged $15 per letter).
Thanks, sounds good.