British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   No credit history (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/no-credit-history-333736/)

Shahlax Oct 26th 2005 1:43 pm

No credit history

Does anyone know of a credit card I can get with no credit history? I need to build my credit. I applied for a store card and amex and got rejected. I do have a joint mastercard with my American husband but that doesn't seemed to have given me any credit.

AmerLisa Oct 26th 2005 1:50 pm

Re: No credit history

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Does anyone know of a credit card I can get with no credit history? I need to build my credit. I applied for a store card and amex and got rejected. I do have a joint mastercard with my American husband but that doesn't seemed to have given me any credit.

A secured credit card is usually the best way to start building some credit history. Check your bank, they may do a secured credit card. Don't keep applying for cards, as the rejections will go against your credit score.

If you do a search on here, you're more than likely to find oodles of information on this subject. Also, Fatbrit will probably be along, along with some others, and they all have some very helpful information as well. Good luck. :)

neil Oct 26th 2005 2:26 pm

Before I got married my wife put me on her card - I think it was about 6 to 10 months before that seemed to work. It was strange as I was rejected for a store card, and then 2 months later I responded to a pre-approved credit card offer from Chase and was accepted. It might just be a waiting game.

Paul S Oct 26th 2005 2:26 pm

managed to open a bank account with National City with no SSN. Credit card with $500 limit was not a problem. Okay so its a low limit but its a start ;)

Shahlax Oct 26th 2005 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
A secured credit card is usually the best way to start building some credit history. Check your bank, they may do a secured credit card. Don't keep applying for cards, as the rejections will go against your credit score.

If you do a search on here, you're more than likely to find oodles of information on this subject. Also, Fatbrit will probably be along, along with some others, and they all have some very helpful information as well. Good luck. :)

I did a search and there is a wealth of info on here. Thanks.

Do credit union credit cards count towards credit?

rbtuk Oct 26th 2005 3:07 pm

I had a MBNA card in the UK and got the US parent to pull my credit report from MBNA Europe. This got me a Credit card instantly.

Chorlton Oct 26th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by rbtuk
I had a MBNA card in the UK and got the US parent to pull my credit report from MBNA Europe. This got me a Credit card instantly.

Hmm, good idea. I should have done that with HSBC. I used a bank card for a while, then some store cards (and kept a zero balance!), and then the offers started piling up :)

fatbrit Oct 26th 2005 5:09 pm

Do credit union credit cards count towards credit?

Credit cards do (but ATM/Debit cards don't).

cpe111 Oct 26th 2005 5:35 pm

That was the same situation whe i first moved here - my wife did not have an SSN so she just had a second card in her name. When she got an SSN I was able to get the card changed to a joint card - both SSN's on the account - then bank then started reporting her credit status as well as mine.

fatbrit Oct 26th 2005 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cpe111
That was the same situation whe i first moved here - my wife did not have an SSN so she just had a second card in her name. When she got an SSN I was able to get the card changed to a joint card - both SSN's on the account - then bank then started reporting her credit status as well as mine.

Credit reporting on additional cards is mixed and variable among card issuers. As you say, the best bet is to see if they can convert it to a joint account (usually requires a call to the cust. serv. rep.). Some can, some can't. Some report the additional user, some don't.

rincewind Oct 26th 2005 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by rbtuk

Funny, they told me I couldn't do that when I called.

Shahlax Oct 26th 2005 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Credit reporting on additional cards is mixed and variable among card issuers. As you say, the best bet is to see if they can convert it to a joint account (usually requires a call to the cust. serv. rep.). Some can, some can't. Some report the additional user, some don't.

I have a feeling mine don't report additonal users. I have been on my husband's mastercard for 3 months and no credit history. Maybe I have to wait more than 6 months.

Shahlax Oct 26th 2005 6:20 pm

Credit cards do (but ATM/Debit cards don't).

If all credit cards count, how come people recommend getting one from a 'big' bank? Are some cards better than others or do all cards report credit the same way and have equal weight?

fatbrit Oct 26th 2005 6:25 pm

I have a feeling mine don't report additonal users. I have been on my husband's mastercard for 3 months and no credit history. Maybe I have to wait more than 6 months.

Yep -- should start showing up after a couple of months. The 6 months of history is to actually generate the FICO score from your credit history, i.e. the data should be there but your credit score won't generate. Why not get hubby to call up the friendly cust. serv. rep. and see if you can change it to a joint account? Also, make sure they have your SSN attached to it.

Failing that, try another of hubby's cards or try any of the tricks listed @ http://britishexpats.com/articles/000090.html

Shahlax Oct 26th 2005 6:47 pm

Yep -- should start showing up after a couple of months. The 6 months of history is to actually generate the FICO score from your credit history, i.e. the data should be there but your credit score won't generate. Why not get hubby to call up the friendly cust. serv. rep. and see if you can change it to a joint account? Also, make sure they have your SSN attached to it.

Failing that, try another of hubby's cards or try any of the tricks listed @ http://britishexpats.com/articles/000090.html

Thanks, you're really helpful! How come you know so much about credit?