Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No British blood allowed in the US

No British blood allowed in the US

Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No British blood allowed in the US

Originally Posted by zargof
Yeah I did a bit of research and it seems the local bank here pays f eck all.
that sucks
Old Feb 19th 2011, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Britain used to have similar rules re who can donate blood. I knew a West African, in the biblican sense, and was barred from giving blood in the UK in the 1980's because of the threat of HIV. Was worth it though!
I was nearly refused because I had had sex in Africa. With my British-born husband. Madness.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I was nearly refused because I had had sex in Africa. With my British-born husband. Madness.
One wonders at the extent of the questionnaire you had to fill in for them to know that

Does it specifically ask for geographical locations of your last few instances on intercourse
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
One wonders at the extent of the questionnaire you had to fill in for them to know that

Does it specifically ask for geographical locations of your last few instances on intercourse
I wouldn't be any good at that questionnaire. How are you supposed to remember something that happened so long ago?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Red Cross eligibility criteria for donating blood ...

One of the more amazing medical "facts" on there is that you are "at risk for getting infected with HIV if you" ... " "have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977".

There I was thinking that HIV infections were transmitted by the exchange of bodily fluids but apparently you can also get it from bank notes ...
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre that you can't donate if you have hemochromatosis, I always thought the treatment for that was giving blood , or have I been watching too much House?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by md95065
Take a look at the Red Cross eligibility criteria for donating blood ...

One of the more amazing medical "facts" on there is that you are "at risk for getting infected with HIV if you" ... " "have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977".

There I was thinking that HIV infections were transmitted by the exchange of bodily fluids but apparently you can also get it from bank notes ...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

The questionnaire asked "have you ever had sex in Africa"
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

US military isn't as fussy. I was in the USAF & they took my blood even though they knew about the restriction on donating.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre that you can't donate if you have hemochromatosis, I always thought the treatment for that was giving blood , or have I been watching too much House?
Some blood banks will accept blood from those with hemochromatosis if they have a waiver to accept it.

When I was in San Diego the blood bank there would not, but in Phoenix they would and I think San Francisco as well accepts donations from those with it.

I have it and I have blood taken from me in the lab, but no clue what they do with it after it leaves my body but the blood bank wont accept me as a donor.