British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   No British blood allowed in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/no-british-blood-allowed-us-705136/)

cheers Feb 12th 2011 5:36 pm

No British blood allowed in the US

I didn't know this but if you lived in the UK in some years you can't donate blood in the United States. Inferior blood I guess?

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
England
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales

1chumly Feb 12th 2011 7:37 pm

Re: No British blood allowed in the US

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9171833)
I didn't know this but if you lived in the UK in some years you can't donate blood in the United States. Inferior blood I guess?

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
England
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Wasn't it to do with Mad Cow disease (CJD)?

Sally Redux Feb 12th 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9171943)

Yes.

Bob Feb 13th 2011 2:59 am

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9171943)

Yup and you also can't donate organs either.

Which is a bugger really as our town was giving away day ski passes to the local resort for blood donors.

lisa67 Feb 13th 2011 3:02 am

I was discussing this with my USC neighbor last weekend. She contacted Hep C from a blood transfusion here in the States as, apparently they didn't screen for it until after 1991.
I miss being able to donate blood :(

lisa67 Feb 13th 2011 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9172401)

Which is a bugger really as our town was giving away day ski passes to the local resort for blood donors.

Didn't know about the organs :(

AmerLisa Feb 13th 2011 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9172401)

:D

Well that counts me out as well since I had a blood transfusion when I had our daughter in 2001. Ho hum.....

bevinva Feb 13th 2011 3:31 am

I've checked the organ donor thing on my DL, how would they know I'm a mad cow if I'm dead?

Derrygal Feb 13th 2011 3:43 am

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 9172437)
I've checked the organ donor thing on my DL, how would they know I'm a mad cow if I'm dead?

Me too - I'm listed as an organ donor on my driver's license. I knew about the blood donations, but didn't realize organ donations weren't allowed.

Married2abrit Feb 13th 2011 3:46 am

I think it affects others who live in different parts of Europe as well. My friend's family was stationed in Italy during that time and she's not allowed to donate blood (she found out after visiting the local Red Cross) and she was told it was because of beef consumption (mad cow).

md95065 Feb 13th 2011 4:25 am

Even if you are not eligible to donate blood for transfusion purposes it is still possible to donate blood for research.

The Stanford University Blood Bank does this and I assume that other places do as well.

JAJ Feb 13th 2011 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9172442)
Me too - I'm listed as an organ donor on my driver's license. I knew about the blood donations, but didn't realize organ donations weren't allowed.

If a person is otherwise healthy, I very much doubt that they would refuse to take organs for transplant (or even that they would ask the necessary series of questions). In any case, it won't be your responsibility.

So-called vCJD is a scare story where a tiny number of instances was used to predict an epidemic that would kill millions. Which of course, hasn't happened.

md95065 Feb 13th 2011 4:39 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9172479)
So-called vCJD is a scare story where a tiny number of instances was used to predict an epidemic that would kill millions. Which of course, hasn't happened.

... and, of course, the US never responds to scare stories by putting pointless regulations in place ... :unsure:

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 13th 2011 4:59 am

Did we not leave our blood in Harfleur?

Zoe Bell Feb 13th 2011 2:05 pm

Blood donation rules are the same for us Brits living in Canada :(
Not sure about the organ donation thing though , will research that. Seems barmy when there are so few organs