Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NJ driving licence - our experience

NJ driving licence - our experience

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default NJ driving licence - our experience

Hi all,

This is information about our experience in obtaining a NJ drivers licence. We are UKC with a British driving licence.

My OH did NOT have to take a driving test, but did have to do the theory/sight test. It is therefore possible to get your NJ licence in a same day visit. To do this, make sure you chose an MVC office that has the facility to do the theory/sight test (not all of them do). You can find a list of MVC offices on the NJ MVC website here:http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Licenses/. Obviously, you will also need to be familiar with the NJ driving requirements before taking the test

So, the process would be:

Take the necessary ID to MVC - we needed our SSN number as part of this
Permit will be issued for theory/sight/driving tests
Take the theory & sight test
Permit will be signed off by examiner
Take permit and ID back to desk and licence will be issued

We did it all the long way around. Went to an MVC that did not do the testing, so just got the permit. Couple of days later went to the testing centre, but did not take all the ID as we thought OH had to do the driving test, only to be told no test was necessary and we could have got the licence there and then - DOH!
Then had to go back with the ID and got the licence. Hopefully, what I've posted here will save time for any future applicants. Just to note, OH had a British licence, I do not know if the process would be the same for licence holders from other countries.

Hopefully getting our wheels on Friday!
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NJ driving licence - our experience

Good going!

I think NJ is one of about 2 states or so that'll swap out a Brit license. Most states are okay with other EU licenses.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

This may be a dumb question, but do I have to live in NJ to get an NJ license? Or is working there enough?

Because I'll be living in NY and having NJ transfer my British license would be much easier than retaking the test at some far flung NY DMV.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
This may be a dumb question, but do I have to live in NJ to get an NJ license? Or is working there enough?

Because I'll be living in NY and having NJ transfer my British license would be much easier than retaking the test at some far flung NY DMV.
As far as I understand you must be resident in NJ to get the licence. One of the requirements is proof of address - utility bill, bank statement. Take a look at their website on the link I provided above.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Good going!

I think NJ is one of about 2 states or so that'll swap out a Brit license. Most states are okay with other EU licenses.
Thanks. On our first visit to the MVC the computers weren't working. We came back a couple of days later, and were only there around 20 minutes in all getting the permit. One of the problems we had was that the test centres (for theory test) tend to be in the middle of nowhere and it was looking as if we would have to hire a car for a couple of hours I finally managed to find one that we could get the bus to, which took about an hour. We went on a Saturday and the queue outside was down the road. We were queuing about an hour (well hubby was, my daughter and I went into Dunkin Doughnuts). The following day we went to the VW dealer and arranged a lease on a Jetta. Hopefully we can pick it up Friday.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
This may be a dumb question, but do I have to live in NJ to get an NJ license?
Yes. Although you could live briefly in NJ first, swap your GB license for a NJ license, move to NY and then swap your NJ license for a NY license.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yes. Although you could live briefly in NJ first, swap your GB license for a NJ license, move to NY and then swap your NJ license for a NY license.
Easier taking the test
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
On the one hand: This is actually a pretty ingenious route. I could live at a friend's apartment for a while and have my bank send a statement there.

On the other hand: Live in New Jersey?????