Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nightmare end to my first week

Nightmare end to my first week

Old Aug 20th 2014, 4:59 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nightmare end to my first week

Originally Posted by scott1sh
So, I don't have the citation on my at the moment so can't remember the wording etc. I'll double check but I don't think I can just pay it online and not go to court, there is a day and time written on it when I have to show up. The court is the Municipal Court on Garnett St.

Basically what happened is this....I was stopped at a junction waiting to go left and was behind a couple of cars also in the turn left lane. We got our green filter arrow and the first car pulled off, all the traffic coming the other way (which was all in 1 lane, 1 lane was empty) was stopped. Anyway as I was pulling across a guy in a pickup came straight through in the empty lane and 't-boned' me. Still no one in the other lane had moved. I said I had the green turn left light. He said he had a green. And I got a ticket for failure to yield. I'm not sure if anything happened to him. Anyway yeah, no one was hurt. My neck is kinda messed up from the seatbelt, but that's the worst of it.
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not going to contest, I just want it done with. Maybe I did go through just as my green arrow went off, but shouldn't there be a bit of a delay before the other traffic comes flying through? I feel like, if he did have the green, he would only just have got it, and he was already going at a speed where there was no chance he was stopping for that light.

I definitely didn't do it on purpose.
Any local shops at the junction with external video security cameras - always worth a shot.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:00 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I have a pair of these:
Amazon.com : BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD 16GB Car Black Box/DVR Recorder : Vehicle Overhead Video : Car Electronics

I'll dig out the footage of a person failing to stop at a yield earlier this week tonight if it still exists. Nearly crashed straight into me! But welcome to Boston, arsehole moronic drivers everywhere.
How long do they record for? Do they just record over old data once the SD is full?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
How long do they record for? Do they just record over old data once the SD is full?
I have 64 gig cards recording at 1080p@30fps. Lasts weeks. Over writes as necessary.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Full HD, 30fps, will record for 4hrs, 37 minutes on 16Gb card. 32Mb card, compressed mode, and fewer fps, and it can record over 35 hours.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Was this "failure to yield" to a pedestrian?

If so, hubby did the same thing about three weeks into his entry to the US.

He was waiting for an appointment at DMV for a driving test, so was driving on his UK licence. He paid the fine by post (did not go to court, this was in CA) and had no points on his (eventual) US driving licence)

Can you just mail in the fine?

The police are somewhat zealous when it comes to pedestrians walking across the road - they are very precious - even when the pedestrian is in the wrong.

Don't beat yourself up too much - much worse things happen.
Failure to yield to a pedestrian is a very serious offense that can have disastrous consequences. This is where the right turn on red doesn't work in my opinion. When drivers know that they can turn right on red, they are eager to get into the crosswalk at intersections (often without stopping) to see if they can beat any oncoming traffic. It's easy to be unsighted by cars in the lane(s) to your left and not see any pedestrians in the crosswalk. Pedestrians have been seriously injured and killed; drivers have gone to jail.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:33 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Failure to yield to a pedestrian is a very serious offense that can have disastrous consequences. This is where the right turn on red doesn't work in my opinion. When drivers know that they can turn right on red, they are eager to get into the crosswalk at intersections (often without stopping) to see if they can beat any oncoming traffic. It's easy to be unsighted by cars in the lane(s) to your left and not see any pedestrians in the crosswalk. Pedestrians have been seriously injured and killed; drivers have gone to jail.
Funny the totally different approach taken between the US and the UK in this respect. In England if you walk out into a road cars are going to keep on coming and not stop for you. I tried it myself to show my American wife how different the approach was here.

Personally, I hate it when cars stop for me here. I want to cross when *I* make the judgement that it is safe to cross. NOT when another car stops and thinks it is safe for me to cross. The UK highway code states, if memory serves, that you should not stop then encourage a pedestrian to cross because it may still not be safe for them.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, of much more concern is some intersections which have a green signal for turning traffic which runs concurrent with a walk signal for pedestrians. This is such an unsafe practice and totally focused on vehicle capacity with no regard for pedestrian safety. Turning left not only do you have to look for oncoming vehicles but also pedestrians in the crosswalk, and these are 2 users that move at very different speeds.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Which is false. Lots of RTC's are deliberately caused on purpose. 'Crash for cash' anyone?
Then in that case they aren't accidents

But on the camera side, the big parcel delivery company I work for (TNT) now use Roadhawks and they are excellent! Would recommend them to anyone.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:30 pm
Banned

Failure to yield [..] is a very serious offense that can have disastrous consequences.
+1

Here's what nearly happened to me the other day:
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Idiot (on her phone, which is ALLOWED in MA - outrageous) runs through YIELD sign straight into my path.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
For me, of much more concern is some intersections which have a green signal for turning traffic which runs concurrent with a walk signal for pedestrians. This is such an unsafe practice and totally focused on vehicle capacity with no regard for pedestrian safety. Turning left not only do you have to look for oncoming vehicles but also pedestrians in the crosswalk, and these are 2 users that move at very different speeds.
Yeah, that's another one and it's even worse when the pedestrians walk on red. Add in cyclists using the sidewalks & crosswalks and you have yet another problem.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
There are intersections in San Francisco where it can be impossible to make a completely safe and legal turn for several hours when there are always either cross traffic or pedestrians blocking you.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

driving here is just nuts, it's just ridiculous.

There are some exits off the 101 which are also exits off 92 which means car come down the ramp to join the 101 and in the left hand lane are cars exiting the 101 and they have to cross at 65 miles per hour. It works for the most until you get that 1 guy (or girl) who just pulls up and yields to the traffic from the right, which seems nice but there is no yield sign there so he/she has just stopped in freeway traffic.

Undertaking is also another one.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funstuie
driving here is just nuts, it's just ridiculous. .... Undertaking is also another one.
In what sense? That is a direct consequence of poor lane discipline, combined with the fact that in many states there is no requirement to "keep to the right" consequently many people tend to, as per JG's acquaintance, "pick a lane and stick to it". At which point they engage cre control, disengage their brain, and switch off the mirrors. .... They then become a rolling road block unless other drivers pass on the right.

Anyhow, my experience of driving on the motorways in the UK, notably the M4 west of London, was that lane discipline was pretty bad too.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In what sense? That is a direct consequence of poor lane discipline, combined with the fact that in many states there is no requirement to "keep to the right" consequently many people tend to, as per JG's acquaintance, "pick a lane and stick to it". At which point they engage cre control, disengage their brain, and switch off the mirrors. .... They then become a rolling road block unless other drivers pass on the right.

Anyhow, my experience of driving on the motorways in the UK, notably the M4 west of London, was that lane discipline was pretty bad too.
I was always a little confused when travelling on I80 in Pennsylvania...the traffic would suddenly slow down to a snails pace...then after a mile or so the speed went back to normal. This would keep occurring every few miles without any apparent reason. A couple of years ago I read that PA drivers are notorious for keeping their foot in one position on the gas pedal. Therefore when they hit a bit of an incline their vehicles slow right down.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I drove the M4 west of London a few months back, lane discipline was very good. I undertook some dick on the M3 who was lane hogging the outside lane and he reacted VERY badly to it. Forgot how much English people dislike being undertaken.

Though I work on the rule that if I can safely undertake you, you're in the wrong lane. I've always undertaken when appropriate in the UK and will continue to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.