British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Nightmare! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/nightmare-933920/)

GR33No Jul 22nd 2020 2:59 pm

Nightmare!

My mother was making her permanent move from the U.K to the U.S today. She flew from Manchester to Amsterdam and when attempting to board the Amsterdam to USA flight she was told she now needs a visa waiver! An email was sent to an out of hours email address which states a reply will be generated within 3 days......

As of now it looks like she’ll be returning back to the U.K.

Her IR5 Visa is due to expire within the week and was issued when they put the travel ban in place. Can we get an extension if it expires?

Rete Jul 22nd 2020 3:45 pm

Re: Nightmare!

AFAIK, all your mother needed is the approved IR visa in her passport in order to board the plane and to enter the US. She did not need an approved ESTA. I'm assuming you know what is meant by a visa waiver that they spoke of ... entering the US under the VWP. Apparently, they have agents who are not knowledgeable.

Is she eligible to enter the US under the COVID restrictions that are in place?

Pulaski Jul 22nd 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12885699)
AFAIK, all your mother needed is the approved IR visa in her passport in order to board the plan and to enter the US. She did not need an approved ESTA. I'm assuming you know what is meant by a visa waiver that they spoke of ... entering the US under the VWP. Apparently, they have agents who are not knowledgeable.

Is she eligible to enter the US under the COVID restrictions that are in place?

Agreed. The scenario as reported by GR33No, appears to be missing critical information, and/or the airline staff appear to have made an error in not letting her board, or she is not in a class of ticketholders eliglble to travel to the US. I suspect that it is the latter, as she isn't a USC and isn't yet a permanent resident either.

GR33No Jul 22nd 2020 4:13 pm

I apologize in advance for any missing information as I’m not clued up on all of this hence the visit to this site.

My mother was granted an IR5 visa in Feb20 and has been waiting for things to open up in order to make her permanent move to the USA before her IR5 expires. This would be the first time she has entered into the country with her VISA. Prior to flying we were told we were good to go by the state dept. She is not a USC.

She tried to fly out today and was told by the gate staff from KLM she would not be allowed to fly. They then provided her with an email address to the U.S consulate in Amsterdam to ask for “special permission to travel”.

I greatly appreciate the prompt responses!

SanDiegogirl Jul 22nd 2020 4:21 pm

What does this mean Prior to flying we were told we were good to go by the state dept.?

One does not usually get told you are OK to go; you need to have all the documentation in order to be allowed entry.

Did your mother show her visa etc.... ?

Are you the sponsoring child?

GR33No Jul 22nd 2020 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12885719)
What does this mean Prior to flying we were told we were good to go by the state dept.?

One does not usually get told you are OK to go; you need to have all the documentation in order to be allowed entry.

Did your mother show her visa etc.... ?

Are you the sponsoring child?

I contacted the relevant authorities and was advised accordingly. My mother did present her VISA and that’s when KLM refused entry and referred her to customer service. I am the sponsoring child.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 22nd 2020 11:46 pm

From what has been said she does not seem qualified to travel.

GR33No Jul 22nd 2020 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12885937)
From what has been said she does not seem qualified to travel.

I guess we learned the hard way! Any chance we’ll be able to get a visa extension? She hasn’t been able to fly due to the virus and were almost expired.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 23rd 2020 1:25 am

Well it is more a revalidation not an extension, needs a new medical.

civilservant Jul 23rd 2020 11:11 am

I agree with Boiler here, and if you had checked the requirements beforehand you would have seen she does not meet them.

She needs to reach out to the embassy, they will no doubt re validate the visa and or/reissue due to the current situation after she has had an updated medical.

steph0scope Jul 24th 2020 10:05 pm

She should have quarantined elsewhere for 14 days. She is not affected by the second ban as her visa was issued prior to April 22 (I assume, since it expires within a week - unless she did the medical very early). But she is subject to the first round of bans on PP9994 because she has been in the UK (and Amsterdam!) during the 14 days prior to her intended entrance. Her visa is valid but her route was not valid for an IR-5. A spouse and a minor child can immigrate directly at the moment, but not a parent of an adult.