Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nick Leeson: U. S. Speaking Debut

Nick Leeson: U. S. Speaking Debut

Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

KYCNews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nick Leeson: U. S. Speaking Debut

Former Barings trader Nick Leeson, who caused $1.3 bn of losses from illegal trading, will be making his North American public speaking debut on October 15, 2004 at OffshoreAlert's 3rd Due Diligence & Asset Recovery Symposium in Miami, Florida (http://www.kycnews.com/DDARS/DAY3.asp).

The themes of the event are fraud detection and prevention and recovering the proceeds of crime.

David Marchant
Publisher, OffshoreAlert
Old Sep 29th 2004, 6:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Nick Leeson: U. S. Speaking Debut

Originally Posted by KYCNews
Former Barings trader Nick Leeson, who caused $1.3 bn of losses from illegal trading, will be making his North American public speaking debut on October 15, 2004 at OffshoreAlert's 3rd Due Diligence & Asset Recovery Symposium in Miami, Florida (http://www.kycnews.com/DDARS/DAY3.asp).

The themes of the event are fraud detection and prevention and recovering the proceeds of crime.

David Marchant
Publisher, OffshoreAlert
Ah yes, Leeson was the chap who 'bankrupted' Barings Bank. We had just moved to Singapore a few weeks before the news broke.

He fled the country with his wife Lisa (I think to a Malaysian beach resort) and flew to Frankfurt, where police officers were waiting to greet him as he left the plane. He was returned to Singapore for his trial and was imprisoned in the notorious Changi jail. His wife got a job as a flight attendant on Virgin Atlantic then divorced him....and he caught cancer and was released a little earlier from prison. I actually thought of going to visit him at the prison as of course he was so far from home and probably rarely had visitors.....but my husband warned me off....we would have been placed under intense scrutiny by the Singapore authorities.

When I was in England over the Summer I was flicking through the channels and watched the movie about Leeson on the TV..."Rogue Trader" starring Ewan McGregor and Anna Friel (ex-Brookside).

Is Leeson going to speak in New York? Or is he avoiding Wall Street and the financial district?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nick Leeson: U. S. Speaking Debut

I am sure that I saw it somewhere that he and Martha Stewart were in partnership!!!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I wonder what visa he's coming on
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:11 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
:scared:
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
That was my first thought too when I read the original post!

NC Penguin