British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   NHS and Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/nhs-insurance-841922/)

MJO61 Aug 28th 2014 2:01 am

NHS and Insurance

I am a British subject with US passport. If I had to go home for an extended stay, would I have to buy health Insurance while I was there. I know A&E would be covered, but if admitted into hospital, what would be my options? I am under Medicare/Advantage here in the States. Thanks:confused:

petitefrancaise Aug 28th 2014 2:34 am

Re: NHS and Insurance

depends on a few factors..
if you are temporarily working in the USA for less than 5 years and have lived in the UK for at least 10 years prior to leaving the UK. I would think that if you don't have LPR status here you could argue that you are temporarily working here..
More info here: Citizens Advice - NHS charges for people from abroad

We bought health insurance cover $200 for 3 weeks for a family of 5. Knowing my lot, I decided that it simply wasn't worth the risk. Best thing I ever did. For the first time in ages nobody needed to see a doctor on holiday....

Pulaski Aug 28th 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by MJO61 (Post 11384130)
I am a British subject with US passport. If I had to go home for an extended stay, would I have to buy health Insurance while I was there. I know A&E would be covered, but if admitted into hospital, what would be my options? I am under Medicare/Advantage here in the States. Thanks. .....

What do you mean by "extended"? If it's more than six months, making you liable for UK income taxes, you could probably argue you've become resident again.

If you buy any sort of travel insurance and develop a medical problem in the UK, the insurer will likely expect you to return to the US for any extended treatment, assuming you're able to travel.

petitefrancaise Aug 28th 2014 3:53 am

[QUOTE=Pulaski;If you buy any sort of travel insurance and develop a medical problem in the UK, the insurer will likely expect you to return to the US for any extended treatment, assuming you're able to travel.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not - it's MUCH cheaper to get treatment in the UK. In fact some insurance companies are now offering incentives for non-urgent care to be done in Europe. I'd definitely go to France for care.
Piece de Resistance for U.S. Self-Funding Employer Savings World Medical Tourism Congress Blog

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 28th 2014 5:42 am

Change extended stay to resuming residence and you are good to go.

mikelincs Aug 28th 2014 7:14 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11384150)
depends on a few factors..
if you are temporarily working in the USA for less than 5 years and have lived in the UK for at least 10 years prior to leaving the UK. I would think that if you don't have LPR status here you could argue that you are temporarily working here..
More info here: Citizens Advice - NHS charges for people from abroad

We bought health insurance cover $200 for 3 weeks for a family of 5. Knowing my lot, I decided that it simply wasn't worth the risk. Best thing I ever did. For the first time in ages nobody needed to see a doctor on holiday....

If the OP has a US passport, then they must be a US citizen, so LPR doesn't come into it. They would have to pay for treatment just as any temporary visitor to the UK would.

MJO61 Aug 28th 2014 11:14 am

Thanks all. Might have to take care of brother, so not sure how long I would stay. To be on the safe side, think I will take out health Insurance while I am there. Any recommendations?

Pulaski Aug 28th 2014 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MJO61 (Post 11384617)
Thanks all. Might have to take care of brother, so not sure how long I would stay. To be on the safe side, think I will take out health Insurance while I am there. Any recommendations?

First check if your US insurance will pay out on foreign medical expenses.

MJO61 Aug 28th 2014 11:36 am

Thank you, I will.

Jerseygirl Aug 28th 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11384623)
First check if your US insurance will pay out on foreign medical expenses.

Ours covers us when travelling overseas.

penguinbar Aug 29th 2014 8:09 am

Mine does as well.

hungryhorace Aug 29th 2014 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11384751)
Ours covers us when travelling overseas.

Same, but only for A&E as we're on a HMO with only in-network cover (unless an ER visit is required, then we can go anywhere).

Personally, if I was the OP I would get a basic policy to cover him, though the chances of him EVER being asked to pay anything were he to give a British address (family home etc) is 0 from everything I've read.

Pulaski Aug 29th 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11384195)
Maybe not - it's MUCH cheaper to get treatment in the UK. In fact some insurance companies are now offering incentives for non-urgent care to be done in Europe. I'd definitely go to France for care.

See HH post #12, above. :p

petitefrancaise Aug 29th 2014 3:06 pm

"though the chances of him EVER being asked to pay anything were he to give a British address (family home etc) is 0 from everything I've read"

not true, they always ask for the name and address of the doctor you are registered with. Apart from anything else, if we haven't lived in the UK for years, haven't paid tax or NI there, why should we expect to get free treatment? We wouldn't get it anywhere else.

Pulaski Aug 29th 2014 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11386043)
.... Not true, they always ask for the name and address of the doctor you are registered with. Apart from anything else, if we haven't lived in the UK for years, haven't paid tax or NI there, why should we expect to get free treatment? We wouldn't get it anywhere else.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...0XL5C6635QEhWw