Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NHS applicable at all in the USA?

NHS applicable at all in the USA?

Old May 18th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS applicable at all in the USA?

Hubby's canal/pillar/crown was approx $2K...cost to us $400 with insurance
Thanks - I'm being done then....

I will need sedation which I know will add to the cost, but I think I need to phone my insurance company and try to get a little more pushy with them.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Thanks - I'm being done then....

I will need sedation which I know will add to the cost, but I think I need to phone my insurance company and try to get a little more pushy with them.
Hubby didn't have sedation and said he didn't feel a thing. Had to take a couple of Advil that evening though.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering: people in the UK often go to Eastern European countries for cheaper cosmetic surgery/dentistry than in the UK (I'm thinking of stuff not generally available on the NHS like a whole set of veneers). Do Americans ever go to Mexico on 'medical holidays?' I imagine private treatment is much cheaper there, maybe even if your insurance is covering some of the cost in the states (my in-laws only get 50% dental covered in the US).
Old May 18th 2011, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Just wondering: people in the UK often go to Eastern European countries for cheaper cosmetic surgery/dentistry than in the UK (I'm thinking of stuff not generally available on the NHS like a whole set of veneers). Do Americans ever go to Mexico on 'medical holidays?' I imagine private treatment is much cheaper there, maybe even if your insurance is covering some of the cost in the states (my in-laws only get 50% dental covered in the US).
Yes, this is quite common. A lot of people of Indian origin also get their dental work done there on a trip back home. I bet it's the same for many other countries too.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Do Americans ever go to Mexico on 'medical holidays?'
Si, claro.
Costa Rica is also very nice. Well, nicer than Romania, from the West Coast anyway.

I think dental insurance is legalized theft.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, there have been attempts to stamp out health-care tourism outside the EU due to the poor quality of work.

As the NHS has improved in terms of quality and waiting times over the last few years, the amount travelling has dropped greatly.

Also, a number of the former Eastern European countries have invested in their public services as they've joined the EU and consequenlty no longer offer the kind of price difference once seen.

Often times it will be the NHS that ends up funding the remedial work required for what is not usually essential medical work, and that puts strain on the system.

Most medical work and coverage is now normalised across the EU.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:56 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
Our dentist is $1100 for a crown - I know for sure we have had 4 in the last 8 months. Its hard not to think you got ripped off.
Yes that's what my dentist charges and I've have 4 or 5 of them. I have a good dental plan with low premiums. I get preventative stuff like cleaning at no cost, but have to pay 50% of major procedures. I had a tooth break a few years ago and my dentist put in a crown. I had a lot of teeth with big old NHS amalgam fillings that were cracking so we've systematically removed them and put in crowns and it costs me $500 each time. Still my teeth look great now. A root canal/pillar/crown would cost me about $1000.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:56 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a pediatric dental office and I have to say, we are absolutely transparent with our patients about ALL of their treatment options. Obviously Adult teeth are a different ball game to Primary teeth, but for sedation you shouldn't have to pay too much more - our Pediatric anesthesiologist charges $650 for the first hour and $70 per 15 minutes after that.

Is your dentist doing the root canal? Why not ask him for a referral to an Endodontist for the root canal - you may find an in-network one that your insurance may cover more for.... you can then go back to the regular dentist for the final treatment.