Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nexus 5 now only $199 with google fi

Nexus 5 now only $199 with google fi

Old Mar 13th 2016, 10:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nexus 5 now only $199 with google fi

In case you hadn't heard, the Google Fi cell service is now available generally and not just by invitation.
They have reduced the cost of the Nexus 5 phone that you need to have to use the service to $199.
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

Google works using wifi and ?sprint lte service and it costs $20 a month + data which starts at $10 for 1GB, the beauty of this one is that the data you don't use is credited back to you in actual money.

For someone like me that uses hardly any data, this is an excellent deal. However, since I have 3 data hungry kids, the t-mobile setup that we currently have is still slightly cheaper.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus 5 now only $199 with google fi

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
In case you hadn't heard, the Google Fi cell service is now available generally and not just by invitation.
They have reduced the cost of the Nexus 5 phone that you need to have to use the service to $199.
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/
Thanks for the tip. Lizzy has just ordered one !
Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Lyca is still a better deal if you just need basic data,calls and text $17.29 for unlimited everything, but at 3g (first 100 Mb 4g)
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Lyca is still a better deal if you just need basic data,calls and text $17.29 for unlimited everything, but at 3g (first 100 Mb 4g)
just to be nit-picky.... it's "cheaper" not a "better deal". Google Fi is super fast and using the latest technology at a price that is heaps better than any of the normal cell phone service providers.

If it were just me looking for a phone service, I would pay the extra ?$5 a month for google..... my data usage is less than 500mb per month. And should you need to call abroad using a normal phone call then google is really cheap there. The only person I now call internationally is my dad....everyone else is either FB or skype or whatsapp and I'm not sure how well that would work on 3g.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It was my understanding that Fi only worked on 4g networks, maybe I was mistaken.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

just to be nit-picky.... it's "cheaper" not a "better deal". Google Fi is super fast and using the latest technology at a price that is heaps better than any of the normal cell phone service providers.

If it were just me looking for a phone service, I would pay the extra ?$5 a month for google..... my data usage is less than 500mb per month. And should you need to call abroad using a normal phone call then google is really cheap there. The only person I now call internationally is my dad....everyone else is either FB or skype or whatsapp and I'm not sure how well that would work on 3g.
Lyca comes with unlimited calls to the UK and US. Only downside is that it uses T-mobile network, I think Fi uses any network.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

It was my understanding that Fi only worked on 4g networks, maybe I was mistaken.
No, it drops down to 3G as needed - and international calls are VERY cheap.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lyca comes with unlimited calls to the UK and US. Only downside is that it uses T-mobile network, I think Fi uses any network.
Fi uses T-Mobile and Sprint plus WiFi if available.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am curious how well 911 works with google fi.

In some cases, the local 911 operator may see a phone number that is different from your Project Fi phone number. This may happen as a result of Project Fi's multiple networks. You can still be reached by your Project Fi number and you can provide your Project Fi number to the 911 operator.

This may cause me a problem as some friends block number except those in their phone books.

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 14th 2016 at 6:02 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:02 pm
Austin. TX.

Well,you could always errr google that question!
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6174034?hl=en

But maybe 3g takes too long to bother
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've been moderately happy with Fi. The service is relatively good, I do have times when the service freaks out and can't decide which network to go on resulting in emergency only call ability. My last bill for phone service was $23 so I can live with it. Free international text, 1c per minute to UK landlines and 2 or 3c to most mobiles is good. As is the same data price when in the UK, although capped at 3G speeds, and free wifi calling back to the US are also nice features. Customer support is good as well.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

However, since I have 3 data hungry kids, the t-mobile setup that we currently have is still slightly cheaper.
My 12 year old listens to music when walking to school. By streaming YouTube videos...
Old Mar 16th 2016, 3:20 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
My 12 year old listens to music when walking to school. By streaming YouTube videos...
oh yes....

mind you, it's probably better than torrenting. especially when not done properly and a warning email is sent from the internet provider. According to a friend of course...
Old Mar 17th 2016, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Project Fi looks promising, but provided that you're okay with just being on T-Mobile and you're a heavy data user, I think T-Mobile has cheaper plans. I, for example, have a pre-pay T-Mobile plan that gives me 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 5 GB LTE (and unlimited uber slow 2G) for $30 /month. I have not found a single SIM plan that is cheaper than that that has a data allowance as high as the one I have.

Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
Heh, I do that sometimes too, although I stream playlists in the car via my phone. Why not when you have 170 MB to play with each day?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 5:26 am
Austin. TX.

[QUOTE=cautiousjon;11897840] I, for example, have a pre-pay T-Mobile plan that gives me 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 5 GB LTE (and unlimited uber slow 2G) for $30 /month.

I can't see that one. Can you send me a link to the plan please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.