Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Next Gen consoles, xbox 360/sony/nintendo

Next Gen consoles, xbox 360/sony/nintendo

Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Next Gen consoles, xbox 360/sony/nintendo

Originally Posted by USBound
LMAO

x360 == a comparable 9.6Ghz of Power (if running a single thread on each core) with a graphics card that will remain unbeaten for around 18months (by contract). The memory bus speed is 10x the speed of ANY pc memory out right now.

ps3 == a comparable 3.2Ghz general purpose and a stunning 7SPUs also running @ 3.2Ghz with a graphics card that will remain unbeaten again for at least 10months of its lifetime.

I work in the industry and know for a fact that you are talking out of your proverbial mouse port.

I believe its called feltching

of course you are entitled to your opinion and obviously preference but to state falsehood to back it up is absurd.

How fast does it need to go to play chess? I suppose if what you want is to sit and dribble at lots of shiny things whizzing around then you need the latest and greatest lump of plastic. If however you prefer games of depth and thought then you dont. Thing I've found is, generally speaking, the more shinier and whizzier the things the less longevity the actual game has....perhaps thats why they keep bringing out new boxes to make consumeroids go "oooooooh...aaahhhhhh....<dribble>...this ones got 30 trillion triangles per second and 9.6 teraflops of shiny whizzy things..." and fork out on another box that will inevitably end up in the same closet as all the others.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Nov 19th 2005 at 10:26 am.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
How fast does it need to go to play chess? I suppose if what you want is to sit and dribble at lots of shiny things whizzing around then you need the latest and greatest lump of plastic. If however you prefer games of depth and thought then you dont. Thing I've found is, generally speaking, the more shinier and whizzier the things the less longevity the actual game has....perhaps thats why they keep bringing out new boxes to make consumeroids go "oooooooh...aaahhhhhh....<dribble>...this ones got 30 trillion triangles per second and 9.6 teraflops of shiny whizzy things..." and fork out on another box that will inevitably end up in the same closet as all the others.
I'm guessing you don't have an ipod?

my point earlier was that those games of depth you want... will be developed for the next gen consoles...
Old Nov 19th 2005, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I'm guessing you don't have an ipod?

my point earlier was that those games of depth you want... will be developed for the next gen consoles...
iPod? Can I play my LP's on it? Nope I dont have an iPod as I prefer to hear whats going on around me when out and about. And at home my world is filled with TV's, Kids, Wife, Pets, etc.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:23 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Plus having played them both i would prefer the Sony - part of that is probably my leaning towards the brand...
Given the pounding Sony's taking at the moment (and rightly so) about their "copy protection" software that leaves your PC (not Mac) open to viruses, and the pig's ear they've made of the PR, they're not my favorite company at the moment. I'll probably get a 360 myself the day they come out.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of getting one (or a couple) myself - not for me, but to flog on eBay for a profit due to the anticipated shortages.

Anyone have a plan for getting one if you didn't already pre-order it? I've read they are expecting overnight queues outside Best Buy and Walmart - two places where you couldn't pre-order.

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Given the pounding Sony's taking at the moment (and rightly so) about their "copy protection" software that leaves your PC (not Mac) open to viruses, and the pig's ear they've made of the PR, they're not my favorite company at the moment. I'll probably get a 360 myself the day they come out.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting mine direct from Microsoft... however I have heard that Fry's are getting a rather large number of units (200+ per store) compared to best buy at arond 50 per store.

Fry's also do not allow pre-orders and will be allowing only a few people at a time into the stores (I live 500 yards from fry's).
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:21 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that the only possible improvement over the specifications of the ps3/x360 are the inclusion of a keyboard & mouse combo for control.

Further you claim you need a good spec pc and then assert that numeric specifications are meaningless... wouldn't that imply that a "pc" not a "good spec pc" is the requirement.

if you like pc gaming then thats fair enough... but your assertions are wrong regarding why.
well the term pc is rather vague, ranging from very basic machines which are clearly no match for anything other than a calculater, to a well specced pc, which i beleive to be more than a match for consoles, yes these are my opinions, i am a fan of pc gaming, having owned several consoles in the past. who is to say whether my opinion is right or wrong (clearly not you) - as its a matter of judgement.

Ant
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that the only possible improvement over the specifications of the ps3/x360 are the inclusion of a keyboard & mouse combo for control.

Further you claim you need a good spec pc and then assert that numeric specifications are meaningless... wouldn't that imply that a "pc" not a "good spec pc" is the requirement.

if you like pc gaming then thats fair enough... but your assertions are wrong regarding why.

you truely are a geek
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by basementwaj
you truely are a geek

And a very sad one :

I'm getting mine direct from Microsoft... however I have heard that Fry's are getting a rather large number of units (200+ per store) compared to best buy at arond 50 per store.

Fry's also do not allow pre-orders and will be allowing only a few people at a time into the stores (I live 500 yards from fry's).
Queueing up for a new games console? What a fullfulling life you must lead.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And a very sad one :
Hey !!! I queued up for a meccano set when I was 8 ....
and for the new spick and span when I was 14 ...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

And a very sad one :

and you obviously can't read - when did I say I would be queueing?
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by antjen
who is to say whether my opinion is right or wrong (clearly not you) - as its a matter of judgement.

Ant
I never said your opinion was wrong, only your assertions regarding a good spec pc being more powerful than the next gen consoles.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by basementwaj
you truely are a geek
truly thank you.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:30 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I never said your opinion was wrong, only your assertions regarding a good spec pc being more powerful than the next gen consoles.
i never said a good spec pc was/is more powerful than a next gen console - only that i believe the end result (being the games) are better in my opinion.

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

if you want to play new games... then you're a little stuck.

on a different note - the ps3 is NOT fully backwards compatible. This isn't a guess or a rumor its from a press release from Sony about 2 weeks ago. Essentially they lied.

I still reckon there isnt much point playing the new games if your old ones looks shite and the PS2 looks better....trust me the 360 just aint that impressive if its not HD! Many many punters are going to be pissed this week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.