British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Next Gen consoles, xbox 360/sony/nintendo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/next-gen-consoles-xbox-360-sony-nintendo-338093/)

waxwabbit Nov 18th 2005 4:07 am

Next Gen consoles, xbox 360/sony/nintendo

Just caught a glimpse of Call of Duty 2 on the 360 in my local EB. Pretty impressive......the definition is what got it for me. Not sure though if was as great graphically as what I was expecting, maybe because my pc has a pretty good graphics card.......nevertheless, it caught my eye

Anyone thinking Father Christmas may get them one?

Same problems though as years gone by..........get the 360, or wait for the next machine from Sony or Nintendo........sigh.....memories..........I can still remember how excited I was about the Super Nintendo when Streetfighter 2 was about to come out for it.............

Anyone got opinions on the machines?

psb182 Nov 18th 2005 4:28 am

Re: Next Gen consoles, xbox 360/sony/nintendo

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Just caught a glimpse of Call of Duty 2 on the 360 in my local EB. Pretty impressive......the definition is what got it for me. Not sure though if was as great graphically as what I was expecting, maybe because my pc has a pretty good graphics card.......nevertheless, it caught my eye

Same problems though as years gone by..........get the 360, or wait for the next machine from Sony or Nintendo........sigh.....memories..........I can still remember how excited I was about the Super Nintendo when Streetfighter 2 was about to come out for it.............

you wanna buy a sega dreamcast :D :D

Sally Nov 18th 2005 5:29 am

I will definitely get a PS3. Sony has the greatest range of good games.

360 didn't look that amazing to me.

Can't wait till I have the spare time to actually play some games.

"Let's Rock, Baby"

USBound Nov 18th 2005 7:32 am

I receive my 360 direct from MS (I'm a developer and did Tony Hawks American Wasteland & Gun for 360) next monday/tuesday with a nifty developer based package nice and cheap (well.. cheaper than retail).

personally I've used ps3 & X360 and they are much of a muchness for pretty much everything. Largely the same CPU with a slightly different arrangement, Largely the same GPU capabilities again with some slight differences.

I'll be getting both.

Nintendo are behind in power but always ahead in games... I may get a revolution if the games look good.

Jabba1 Nov 18th 2005 8:33 am

Originally Posted by psb182
you wanna buy a sega dreamcast :D :D

No, but I'll sell you a Sega Saturn. :D :D

basementwaj Nov 18th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by USBound
I receive my 360 direct from MS (I'm a developer and did Tony Hawks American Wasteland & Gun for 360) next monday/tuesday with a nifty developer based package nice and cheap (well.. cheaper than retail).

personally I've used ps3 & X360 and they are much of a muchness for pretty much everything. Largely the same CPU with a slightly different arrangement, Largely the same GPU capabilities again with some slight differences.

I'll be getting both.

Nintendo are behind in power but always ahead in games... I may get a revolution if the games look good.

Ive had my fingers burned too many times buying the latest systems at the release price....

I think i will stick with my psp and wait till next christmas to buy a ps3.... at least the playstations have never really died and with backwards compatibility there are thousands of games already released that are worth getting.
I also heared that the ps3 and psp are going to work hand in hand and the psp will be a wireless controller with screen features!?!?!?

anyone know if this is true?

Anyone wanna buy a megadrive with mega-cd?

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 11:35 am

Why would I want to spend $400 on something to plug into my TV, that I cant upgrade, will be out of date next year and the games cost $50+ each when I have a PC that will play all the games I want, runs on a big LCD, I can upgrade whenever I want? Sorry but I just dont get the fascination with games consoles these days. Sure when PCs were slow with horrible gfx but not now.

Chorlton Nov 18th 2005 1:37 pm

Hows the online stuff work for these? isn't there some kind of subscription deal? I'm on a mac at home so the multiplayer stuff hasnt been a problem yet.

Big D Nov 18th 2005 2:46 pm

apparently you really need an HD TV to get the full benefit of these next gen machines

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
apparently you really need an HD TV to get the full benefit of these next gen machines

Is that the full benefit of spending all your readies on pointless stuff?

anotherlimey Nov 18th 2005 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Is that the full benefit of spending all your readies on pointless stuff?

Are you on a moral crusade today? :D

Yosser Nov 18th 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Big D

As with wax rabbit, I was shopping in the local target last weekend when the X360 caught my attention, I was amazed with the graphics with call of duty 2, but someone in the crowd mentioned it was only like that because it was hooked up to a HDTV!

Hmmmm, so to get the full effect do you have to purchase the X360 = $400 plus another $1000 for a decent HDTV.....then its $60 a game...things are getting pricey at that stage!

I'll make do with my astro wars and caveman and wait till the prices come down a bit.

Big D Nov 18th 2005 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Yosser
As with wax rabbit, I was shopping in the local target last weekend when the X360 caught my attention, I was amazed with the graphics with call of duty 2, but someone in the crowd mentioned it was only like that because it was hooked up to a HDTV!

Hmmmm, so to get the full effect do you have to purchase the X360 = $400 plus another $1000 for a decent HDTV.....then its $60 a game...things are getting pricey at that stage!

I'll make do with my astro wars and caveman and wait till the prices come down a bit.

Plus having played them both i would prefer the Sony - part of that is probably my leaning towards the brand...

Schnorbitz Nov 18th 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Why would I want to spend $400 on something to plug into my TV, that I cant upgrade, will be out of date next year and the games cost $50+ each when I have a PC that will play all the games I want, runs on a big LCD, I can upgrade whenever I want? Sorry but I just dont get the fascination with games consoles these days. Sure when PCs were slow with horrible gfx but not now.

There is something much more relaxing about playing a game whilst sat in the comfort of your armchair as appose to at your PC. Plus PC's need to be configured and tweaked to realize their full potential; a games console is easy. Unwrap, plug in, load up, bish, bash, bosh, you're shooting some mutant from outer space. Glorious!

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Are you on a moral crusade today? :D

I have my soapbax all polished up special :D :o