Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The next American President?

The next American President?

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice
Default The next American President?

Who do board members think it will be and who do they want it to be?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:49 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice
Default Re: The next American President?

Hilary. If she can get a moderate message across, and I think she can, she'll go a long way. Plus, she's not going to be a stiff like John Kerry and sit and take all the Republican crap they throw at her.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:14 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Martin Sheen-West Wing!!
Seriously, it's early days yet. Democrats are regrouping and licking their wounds.
Republicans may still hang in there, but need a candidate that's more middle of the road.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:38 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Republicans may still hang in there, but need a candidate that's more middle of the road.
They have started grooming Jeb Bush (cf: His visit to the Tsunami disaster area) to take the throne.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:46 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Webbie
They have started grooming Jeb Bush (cf: His visit to the Tsunami disaster area) to take the throne.
It wouldn't suprise me if Jeb ran. After all,
-he's from the south,
-has the 'right' connections
-and he's been a governor.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:48 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno, the current Prez is clearly not middle of the road and won the whole shabang so maybe the Reps don't need 9or want) to be more central. And if Howard Dean gets the DNC chair, I can't see the Dems going for the middle-of-the-road option meself either. I personally think it'll be a rightwing versus leftwing fracas in 2008. Which will suck.

Hillary has been very clever - kept her thoughts on Iraq fairly schtum, hasn't been as demented as Ted Kennedy, and all the other interested parties burnt themselves out over the 2004 campaign. I really think it depends who she'd be up against. Her against say Bush the 3rd or Bill Frist would be pretty nice for her I'd imagine. Altho Frist, being a surgeon, would hammer her on her health plan fiasco.

My money's on two Dems to quickly rise - Henry Ford Jnr and Barack Obama - though really 2008 is too close IMO for them. Both are Dems I like the look of ALOT.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gross50
It wouldn't suprise me if Jeb ran. After all,
-he's from the south,
-has the 'right' connections
-and he's been a governor.
True, but regardless of how good he is or isn't, the last name could hurt as much as help him amongst the disenfranchised.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:54 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
I dunno, the current Prez is clearly not middle of the road and won the whole shabang so maybe the Reps don't need 9or want) to be more central. And if Howard Dean gets the DNC chair, I can't see the Dems going for the middle-of-the-road option meself either. I personally think it'll be a rightwing versus leftwing fracas in 2008. Which will suck.

Hillary has been very clever - kept her thoughts on Iraq fairly schtum, hasn't been as demented as Ted Kennedy, and all the other interested parties burnt themselves out over the 2004 campaign. I really think it depends who she'd be up against. Her against say Bush the 3rd or Bill Frist would be pretty nice for her I'd imagine. Altho Frist, being a surgeon, would hammer her on her health plan fiasco.

My money's on two Dems to quickly rise - Henry Ford Jnr and Barack Obama - though really 2008 is too close IMO for them. Both are Dems I like the look of ALOT.

Hillary has indeed reinvented herself from the missteps in the early months of the first Clinton term. She is a smart cookie, so who can tell.
What about McCain?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
I think that was more to do with the experience with the hurricanes Florida encountered last year.

I just hope that Republicans nominate a moderate.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:03 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I agree - the idea that Jeb went to the tsunami countries for PR strikes me as a bit conspiratorial.

But, for all you Dems, here's the glimmer of hope - the hierarchy in the Republican Party are all nutters. Rick Santorum? No thanks. And with Bush proving that an idealogue can win I don't see why they'd opt for moderation. But the smarter of the Dems are carving out the "we need moderation" really early. Hillary is doing this very well, and I really think voters in 2008 won't think of her the same way partisan Reps did in 1992-6. And Harry Reid doesn't even tow the party line on abortion - very smart move.

And as for McCain - dunno why people think he's a moderate at all. Virtually everything he believes in is solidly Republican. Ask Arizonian Dems if he's moderate.

At the very least Dems must gain power in Congress in 2006. Too much power in one party's hands bugs me alot.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:14 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
Yeah I agree - the idea that Jeb went to the tsunami countries for PR strikes me as a bit conspiratorial.

But, for all you Dems, here's the glimmer of hope - the hierarchy in the Republican Party are all nutters. Rick Santorum? No thanks. And with Bush proving that an idealogue can win I don't see why they'd opt for moderation. But the smarter of the Dems are carving out the "we need moderation" really early. Hillary is doing this very well, and I really think voters in 2008 won't think of her the same way partisan Reps did in 1992-6. And Harry Reid doesn't even tow the party line on abortion - very smart move.

And as for McCain - dunno why people think he's a moderate at all. Virtually everything he believes in is solidly Republican. Ask Arizonian Dems if he's moderate.

At the very least Dems must gain power in Congress in 2006. Too much power in one party's hands bugs me alot.
Come on guys, I wouldn't put anything past the Bush family. Conspiritorial is their middle name! We're just lucky that you have to be U.S. born (at least for now) to be president, otherwise we'd probably have our "wonderful" Saudi Ambassador to the U.S. running with the full support of the Bush family and all the Haliburton cronies.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:21 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think that was more to do with the experience with the hurricanes Florida encountered last year.
Total number dead in the hurricanes - about 5
Total number dead in the tsunami - 200,000 +

He's not very experienced when you look at it.

The Repubs using a disaster to keep in power ...?
They've never done that before have they.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:10 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Schwarzennegger??

Normally I cant stand Republicans but in his case I make an exception because, he's a very moderate Republican and I would like to see the constitution changed and an immigrant get the Presidency.

President Duncs has a good ring I reckon!

More realistically i would watch Evan Bayh and of course Hilary has a shot although i seriously doubt her ability to win the general election, but i am open minded about it. On the Repub side Jeb of course if he wants, this country is a Bush monarchy now remember. Otherwise its a free for all from Romney, to Frist, to Santorum. I suppose it depends on who James Dobson likes the most, so we can only rule out Spongebob at this point.

It will be interesting and (almost) anyone is better than Chimpolean.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
What about McCain?
might be considered too old? - he'll be 72 in 2008.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:21 pm
Sursum corda

Colin Powell?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.