Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newtons Fourth Law of Physics

Newtons Fourth Law of Physics

Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:23 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newtons Fourth Law of Physics

When we bought this house a year ago we thought it was huge and in real space it was twice the size of our UK house and it looked empty.

We are now discussing extending the house by building a room over the garage because we have too much stuff, this confirms Newtons fourth law that "the stuff you have will expand expenetially to fill the amount of space you have"

sp=st/t

where sp = space, st = stuff and t = time (space = stuff over time)

Patrick
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:26 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

On a different note, how is life in North Carolina? We are looking to move from Manhattan eventually.

And Patrick, living in a tiny 3 room apartment with a kitchen the size of a matchbox, I wish I had your problem!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Been there!!

Prior to moving over to America we moved into rented accomodation. We sent 27 large boxes of stuff over to America from our old house after selling it, leaving us with "just the essentials" in the rented place.

When we finally came to leave the rented place (six months later) and move to America we had to have a further 10 large boxes shipped!?!?!?!

It just doesn't make sense!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:36 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Yup. It frightens me. A house full of 'stuff'. One good thing about living in a tiny apartment is that you just have to say no to those impulse purchases!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

"Stuff" breeds- I swear.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
"Stuff" breeds- I swear.
That's where ebay is magic. I flogged LOADS of my old stuff before moving: furniture, never used xmas pressies, TV, DVD player even these horrible ornaments i was given. I got enough to buy a new tellie here and all the essentials. Ebay is bloody marvelous! Anyone else used it?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
That's where ebay is magic. I flogged LOADS of my old stuff before moving: furniture, never used xmas pressies, TV, DVD player even these horrible ornaments i was given. I got enough to buy a new tellie here and all the essentials. Ebay is bloody marvelous! Anyone else used it?
Yup, cleared well over 1000 items of clothing, household stuff, books, dvds, vids.... even some clothes pegs and wooden chopsticks (I kid you not).

Now our "stuff" from the UK has arrived we'll probably have another clearout of all the stuff we should've sold last time.

Cheers,
David.

- "Stuff" from UK update. Only 1 plate broken so far in our cargo from the UK. 4 boxes to go but looking good.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:43 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newtons Fourth Law of Physics

Originally posted by Patrick
When we bought this house a year ago we thought it was huge and in real space it was twice the size of our UK house and it looked empty.

We are now discussing extending the house by building a room over the garage because we have too much stuff, this confirms Newtons fourth law that "the stuff you have will expand expenetially to fill the amount of space you have"

sp=st/t

Patrick
nah youre wrong!

Its Boyles law on the behaviour of gases from the Irish chemist Robert Boyle in 1662. Give the irish some credit where its due!

LOL.

regards,

Duncan
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:39 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I subscribe to that 4th law (whosever it is)

We first moved into a small 1 bedroomed apartment.
It has storage and store room, everything was put away.

we've just moved into a bigger place, with a massive living room, etc and the spare bedroom is full of... stuff.
Boxes and boxes of stuff.
Where the hell did all this come from ?!

May I add something to that equation ?

w = wife, sh = shopping

(and me as well I must admit)
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Yes, I did the same as you. Sold my hi-fi separates and other items on eBay. Stuff that I didn't want to take or was unusable in the US.

Now I have a digital camera, it's made selling things on eBay even better. I've sold a variety of items on eBay and purchased so many more on this online auction site.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:43 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
nah youre wrong!

Its Boyles law on the behaviour of gases from the Irish chemist Robert Boyle in 1662. Give the irish some credit where its due!

LOL.

regards,

Duncan

Boyles law is that gases expand to fit the space they are in, not stuff. I think I have proved boyles law in my bathroom a hundred times

Patrick
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:01 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Boyles law is that gases expand to fit the space they are in, not stuff. I think I have proved boyles law in my bathroom a hundred times

Patrick
OOHH i hope your wife provides you with an equal and opposite reaction.

LOL.

regards,

Duncan
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:46 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Duncs
OOHH i hope your wife provides you with an equal and opposite reaction.

LOL.

regards,

Duncan
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:02 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

sp=st/t

Patrick
Reckon you're onto something there - there must be a lot of folk in the same position if all those bl**dy mini-storage places that occupy any spare bit of land are anything to go by..
Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:04 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

So if our homes are all producing matter at an exponential rate, won't we soon implode and create a black hole or something, proving all those doomsday cults right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.