News Media

Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News Media

Originally Posted by dlake02
I'm just wondering if we have a bad PBS station round here then (KQED) as others have suggested PBS as a good source of news/information.

KQED seems to be stuffed full of repeats of 1960s and 1970s concerts in the evening (this evening is double Chris Isaak Live ! and Oscar Hammerstein concerts). The only current affairs programme is the PBS News Hour at 6 which is about an hour before I get in most evenings.

KQED RADIO is great - the TV station seems a little staid...
Remember that KQED has three digital channels:- I see Charlie Rose is on at the same time as that Chris Isaak concert. The other public station KCSM has two channels but I am not sure if they have any news programs on it. There's also the second BBC America channel which has BBC World News. And if your Italian's up to it, cable and dish have RAI news programs. There are probably others if you look hard enough.

But, yes, US news is an unmitigated mess, especially the "news" aka propaganda that Fox News broadcasts.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:17 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
especially the "news" aka propaganda that Fox News broadcasts.
AKA Faux News
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the news on all of the networks, including CNN is pathetic. 25 years ago though, CNN was fairly decent. I watch PBS a lot, as I think its news is much better than the networks, as it doesn't usually consist of just soundbites, and has greater depth coverage, and BBC news is on every night. A lot of its other programs are good, particularly its nature ones. I watch the local ABC affiliate for local news and weather, and read the paper and internet for the rest. I also have encountered Americans, both left and right, who form their opinions from what they see on TV. Then again, as someone has said, those who have traveled seem to be more balanced in their views.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I agree that the news on all of the networks, including CNN is pathetic. 25 years ago though, CNN was fairly decent.
The decline of CNN is very sad and can be linked, imo, to the "rise" of Fox News. Fox has garnered viewers by its partisanship and by its sensationalist/sound bite style of "news". This has put pressure on the likes of CNN to increase its viewership. it really has been a race to the bottom.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here for more than twenty years and have never had television service (We do own a TV set, use it for videos from the library.). We listen to NPR and CBC radio ( we live on the Canadian border.) I really don't miss TV, I actually can't imagine when people have time to watch Television.. I also listen to BBC Radio 4, and read the New Yorker and The Nation each week, also scan The Economist less frequently and several other British, Canadian and foreign magazines. otherwise, of course, I get news on the web via various trusted blogs etc.. as for Americans, I don't have a lot to do with them, it is a bit puzzling..
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

We listen to NPR and CBC radio
Yep +1. BBC Radio 4, NPR, CBC, WRN. Those are the staples of my media diet, and I usually have them on at work, waiting for all those people that said they'd "get right back to me" to get right back to me....

The NPR article that really interested me was the one that talked about the decreasing linguistic abilities of Senators and Representatives, and I think speaks volumes to the general decline in media quality on both sides of the Atlantic:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...analysis-shows

Interestingly, this was broadcast the same day that a very senior leader where I work explained why he had deleted my last email. "Anything over three sentences, I don't read" was his comment. Now, this is one of the educated Americans that was discussed in earlier posts - if a PhD level, senior manager is not prepared to exert himself beyond two dozens words, then I start to understand why the broadcast news has to be served in pureed portions for the majority.

How very sad.