Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

News item: What makes Britons British?

News item: What makes Britons British?

Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:21 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jabba1
How do the Cowboys and Redskins have anything to do with being British? Assuming you refer to the American football teams, of course.
Not a lot...
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News item: What makes Britons British?

Originally posted by Webbie
Imagine you are at a party and there's a Rhino in the room.
The American's would be like: "Oh My God ! There's a Rhinocerous !" then throw their hands up in exclamation and run around the room.
The British would just look up and say: "Oh there's a Rhino" and carry on with their conversation.

Now this is sooooo true!!!
When I was dating my now husband 12yrs ago we went to London, a bomb scare was declared on the tube, my husband was all for freaking out and rushing out the station and to this day he can't believe the Brits who slowly turned round and ambled out and just complained about the delay!!!
Definately "rhino syndrome"
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
Not the sharpest tool in the shed are you, me old gaffer!

Since I still don't undrstand about the Cowboys and Redskins, I guess I would qualify as a hammer.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Imagine you are at a party and there's a Rhino in the room.
The American's would be like: "Oh My God ! There's a Rhinocerous !" then throw their hands up in exclamation and run around the room.
The British would just look up and say: "Oh there's a Rhino" and carry on with their conversation.

Hi again

Americans seem to panic and lose their cool easily...is that true? You peeps already in the USA please tell me. This rhino story seems to tell me they do. Anyway, a hippo would be even worse as they are more dangerous. What would the Americans do then???

Cheers

Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:50 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Going out with friends and coming home aching from all night belly laughs!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:42 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
Since I still don't undrstand about the Cowboys and Redskins, I guess I would qualify as a hammer.
lol

Ok let me explain...."Things British"....back when I was a whipper snapper, part of the watching a game of football was to sing as many abuses to the ref and to the away team as possible, so after 20,000 fans were all going "Aaawwwwwwwww" for 2 minutes before the goal keeper kicked off....it would be followed up with "Aaaawwwwwwwww your shit....ah....your shit". Anyways, you don't really hear too much of that at a Dallas Cowboys game, all 68,000 fans just wave white hankeys or tea towels!!! anyone getting the picture yet, or shall I just stop typing because I aint making much sense?
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:51 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol

Ok let me explain...."Things British"....back when I was a whipper snapper, part of the watching a game of football was to sing as many abuses to the ref and to the away team as possible, so after 20,000 fans were all going "Aaawwwwwwwww" for 2 minutes before the goal keeper kicked off....it would be followed up with "Aaaawwwwwwwww your shit....ah....your shit". Anyways, you don't really hear too much of that at a Dallas Cowboys game, all 68,000 fans just wave white hankeys or tea towels!!! anyone getting the picture yet, or shall I just stop typing because I aint making much sense?
Can't see why you're surprised...seen his avatar?
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

drawbridgep is an unknown quantity at this point

What makes us British? Roundabouts.

I can pretty much handle everything in America except for 4 way Stop signs!

I mean, why? In the UK, you drive a long a nice long straight road and side roads have give ways or the occasional stop sign. If the roads all have the same priority then put in a nice roundabout.

But in the US, drive along a nice long straight road and have a stop sign every 200 yards just because a road that's little more than a dirt track might possibly have a car once a day that wants to come onto your road. AND then if you meet at the junction at the same time, who ever got there first gets priority!

That's really gonna take me a while to get used to.

(OH, and first post WOOHOO!! Hi everyone)
Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:00 am
Just Joined

pgrigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm up for this....

Very English things:

Sitting in the pub with your mates listening to one joke after another whilst buying rounds of drinks and watching for the one mate who always has to leave before his turn. Plus taking the piss as he does his usual leaving early trick.

Making friends slowly that last for years.

Getting your car keyed.

People who want to fight you in pubs for no apparent reason.

American:

Not many funny mates except for the Brits and the Irish over here.

Instant friends that don't mean a lot.

Getting your car admired.

Being surprised by how many people want to buy me a drink rather than fight me in bars.

Paul
2 years a bar owner. 17 years in the States.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol

Yes, I'm starting to understand now. British tradition applied to an American football game- nice.

BTW, I was at the 1985 Cowboys/Redskins monday might matchup. It was almost twenty years ago, but I remeber it well. The Cowboys stomped the Redskins to the tune of 42-14 I believe. Anyway, it was Redskins' quaterback Joe Theisman's birthday, and all us Cowboy fans sang happy birthday to him as he walked off the field after his team's humiliating loss. The look on his face was PRICELESS!!!

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Can't see why you're surprised...seen his avatar?

My avatar is Dr. Fate, a powerful sorcerer. I thought about using Batman or Superman, but everyone and his goldfish uses those two. I wanted to be original.

Last edited by Jabba1; Apr 29th 2004 at 3:20 am.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:19 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
.. it has been known for someone to call customer services on their cell while standing in line and complain about the wait time.

Ash
Hmm.. that's a good idea.
Old May 14th 2004, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

daveuk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some Russian friends of mine explained what they thought it was to be English / British / whatever......

So it goes cold in Winter. Russians dress up in furs and heavy clothing. Most other races cower in terror - we just think, "Oh, winter, going to get cold, then" and get on with it. ;-))))))

That`s the point - we just get on with it without a fuss or too much complaining....

Tolerance. Used to live in Holland and Germany - Dutch tolerance is "We don`t care, don`t bother us with it. " German tolerance is that they don`t shoot you - UK`s a genuinely tolerant place.

Cynicism. Inbred. ;-)))))) What else ?? Modesty. Manners. Hell- fire, what am I planning on emigrating for ?
Old May 14th 2004, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

the letting people out at the junction thing.. I see that all the time... car advances an extra 5 yards to the car in front rather than hold back and let that car trying to turn left in... sooo many times.... why? I always hold back... its just natural.

the other day a major road between home and work was having a problem; all the ligths went into emergency mode... essentially a 4 way stop... what normally takes 90seconds took 30mins... because nobody would let the other person out, was one big mishmash of cars all trying to get through first... was sooo frustrating.

British things - hmm....

pub lunch of pie, chips,peas, gravy and a pint (or 2)
walking - where I live its sooo not built for walking anywhere, in the UK I used to walk all the time... even to the shops (
)
saying how are you, and meaning it.. most americans don't even break stride, in the UK people stop and say hi, ask about the family, arrange a get together, maybe even say bugger it and head for the pub...
fake friends - in the UK I didn't have any... here I have very few actual friends, people who would ask if you looked down, come to talk to you if they were down.. most americans just say hi and call if they wanna go out.. very difficult to work out what is intended or if there is some cultural divide I'm just not seeing.
Old May 14th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Realism.

Us Brits do reality much better I think. I find a lot of the women I meet here are straight off the bus from Stepford.

saying how are you, and meaning it.. most americans don't even break stride
Classic.

The standard greeting here is "Hi, how are you?" and by the time you say fine, you they are miles away

Back in the UK "how are you?" could turn into a twenty minute chat.

I agree about roundabouts as well. I have found my use of abusive hand gestures has gone right up while driving here and I used to be so polite in the UK.

Last edited by snorkmaiden; May 14th 2004 at 10:39 pm.
Old May 15th 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

lol

LMAO!!!!!
I understood you perfectly - which is a little scary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.