Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

News From Blighty

News From Blighty

Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:36 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default News From Blighty

Yeah I know you can just surf over to the Beeb and read this yourself, but I'm bringing the mountain to Mohammed.

Channel 4 drops Rise (click the read the full article)
Channel 4 says it will drop its troubled breakfast show, Rise, at the end of the year after low ratings.

For those who have been away longer - Rise was a replacement for the cancelled Big Breakfast.
Piss poor show and the only good bit was ...*ahem*... Kirsty Galagher.
BB was going nowhere, so I agree with it finishing, but could have at least done reruns of the early days or shown Hong Kong Fooey cartoons...

In comparison U.S TV have clones of the same program on different channels. No risks being taken here, advertisers dollars have a big say.
Big Breakfast was dangerous and on the edge, but after Chris and Gabby left it dipped.
It did "rise" (*ding !* One point.) again with Johnny & Denise, but they left and...

So was SMTV (with Ant and Dec).
Again if you have been over here for a while you will not be familiar:
In a similar vain to BB - live television with Ant and Dec just messing about.
SMTV was supposed to be Saturday morning kids tele, but even the adults watched.
The spirit of Tiswas returns.
A & D then left - Brian Dowling did a sterling job, but unsuccesful at saving it.
(By the way Kudos to ITV for putting an openly gay man on kids Saturday morning TV, boundaries broken and nice to see acceptability despite who you are.)

Ant and Dec got their own prime time Sat night show - which is a sort of grown up version of SMTV.
They have an original concept, which the U.S. tele people are looking at for over here -
In the show you can win all the items featured in the adverts.
Perfect idea for commercial minded-advertising run American TV.
- But with an excellent development --> To be remade over here with the original presenters.
Not sure how the Geordie twosome will go down here, let's hope they take the risk.
==============================

In Other News==>
269 Animals Rescued From A House
The RSPCA rescues pets from "absolutely disgusting" conditions at a house in Lancashire.

Surprising thing is that it was a 3 bedroom (that's right- three) house of a middle-aged couple, and not some crazy old lady with hundreds of cats.

Thatsallfornow.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News From Blighty

Originally posted by afosuk

In Other News==>
269 Animals Rescued From A House
The RSPCA rescues pets from "absolutely disgusting" conditions at a house in Lancashire.

Surprising thing is that it was a 3 bedroom (that's right- three) house of a middle-aged couple, and not some crazy old lady with hundreds of cats.

Thatsallfornow.
I also read some where that the neighbours were complaining that they had put up with it for 10 years. Hellooooooooo!!!???
Why didn't they complain to the RSPCA sooner?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:09 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother tells me the Ant & Dec show is hilarious. They have been told they will need to tone down the Geordie accent a lot if they come over here, which sucks cos that's part of there appeal I think.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:16 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I can't even remember what it was called when I left... but I remember being mightily impressed by the clock on the screen!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:27 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News From Blighty

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
I also read some where that the neighbours were complaining that they had put up with it for 10 years. Hellooooooooo!!!???
Why didn't they complain to the RSPCA sooner?
Just went back and watched the video report.
As I mentioned it was a three bedroomed house, and by the looks a decent sized one.
Plus they got some film of the couple driving away (covering their faces).
They were driving off in a very nice looking blue BMW, so not short of a few bob.

So as well as the above question as to why they got away with this for 10 years, I am wondering why someone with a good income lived like this.
I'll be keeping a look out for a follow up on this...
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:44 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Who has time to watch breakfast tv apart from retired people. The unemployed don't surfice to lunch and students are just going to bed when it starts. The rest of us don't have time to watch tv over breakfast, so who cares if the big breakfast or rise is on!

Just in case you need a reason to stay in the USA this was on the BBC website today

Tonight's star-studded TOTP line-up featured Gareth Gates, P!nk, Westlife and Seal.

Apart from Pink, whats the point!

If anyone needs me I will sat in dark room listening to Duran Duran in my pink wing tipped shirt, eisenhower jacket, parachute pants, white socks and chelsea boots.

Patrick

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand, just like that river running through the dusty land.....
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:48 pm

Wish I still had my black Harrington Jacket. The one with all the Ska badges and stuff on it.

One Step Beyonddddddddddddd, na na na, - na na na na na!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:51 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
If anyone needs me I will sat in dark room listening to Duran Duran in my pink wing tipped shirt, eisenhower jacket, parachute pants, white socks and chelsea boots.

Patrick
Hey, you should be listening to ......
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:30 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me going on 80's nostalgia.
Rubiks cubes, Howard Jones, BMX bikes,breakdancing on mum's lino clip round the ear...jumpers for goalposts...marvelous!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:18 pm

Originally posted by tony_2003
Don't get me going on 80's nostalgia.
Rubiks cubes, Howard Jones, BMX bikes,breakdancing on mum's lino clip round the ear...jumpers for goalposts...marvelous!
Clubbing consisted of a bunch of us girls going out to dance in a circle around our handbags all night! Followed by a Chinese take-away and then the inevitable question.... "Who is going to throw up on their stillettos this week?"

Ooops, and Tony... is that pic you?
Old Sep 20th 2003, 1:43 am
Get em out by Friday

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Clubbing consisted of a bunch of us girls going out to dance in a circle around our handbags all night! Followed by a Chinese take-away and then the inevitable question.... "Who is going to throw up on their stillettos this week?"

Ooops, and Tony... is that pic you?
No it's Paul Whitehouse of 'The Fast Show' fame, BBC comedy...the character is Ron Manager, don't tell me you haven't seen it before?

OOOOOH SUITS YOU SIR!!
Attached Thumbnails News From Blighty-fastshow.jpg