British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newly qualified nurse from UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newly-qualified-nurse-uk-usa-935548/)

Kimberly82 Nov 2nd 2020 6:55 pm

Newly qualified nurse from UK to USA

Ok thank you. Yes my partner said stick with Canada and we will get there in the end..

christmasoompa Nov 2nd 2020 7:02 pm

Re: Newly qualified nurse from UK to USA

Originally Posted by Kimberly82 (Post 12929458)
Hello,

I am going to be a newly qualified adult nurse next year, how many years experience do I need before moving to the USA? And what would
I need to do?

all advice and experience would be much appriciated.

The US will be FAR tougher than Canada.

I’d suggest you stick with your original plan of Canada tbh, much easier/quicker than getting a visa for the US will be. Worth noting that Silverdragon, who is a nurse in Canada and replied to your thread, originally wanted to move to the US but wasn’t successful.

Lanyu Nov 30th 2020 5:53 pm

Unless something has changed since we looked into it Canada is harder to get into because the testing is/was done only in Canada the US can take a longtime to get visa but its an easier process as it can be completed in the UK.

Pulaski Nov 30th 2020 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kimberly82 (Post 12929458)
Hello,

I am going to be a newly qualified adult nurse next year, how many years experience do I need before moving to the USA? And what would
I need to do?

all advice and experience would be much appriciated.

For starters, to work in the US as a nurse you need to pass NCLEX and have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Shortage of any of these will mean you do not meet requirements and will need to top up.

Then you will need a visa, an EB-3, I think, which is slow and time-consuming even in normal times. Some agencies will take the time and effort to go through the process, but you will have little or no control over where the agency may send you to work.

christmasoompa Nov 30th 2020 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lanyu (Post 12941438)
Unless something has changed since we looked into it Canada is harder to get into because the testing is/was done only in Canada the US can take a longtime to get visa but its an easier process as it can be completed in the UK.

You mean the practical assessment? Yes, I believe that does still have to be done in Canada, most people just combine it with a recce trip. The big advantage of Canada is the visa side of things though, no job offer required usually, and you can live wherever you like, unlike the US. And far quicker, looks as though from a previous post it took you 8.5 years to go through the process?! Wowser. 6 months or less for a Canadian Skilled Worker PR app.

Lanyu Nov 30th 2020 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12941446)
Then you will need a visa, an EB-3, I think, which is slow and time-consuming even in normal times. Some agencies will take the time and effort to go through the process, but you will have little or no control over where the agency may send you to work.

The best route and taken by many as mentioned is agency but you will need to be flexible as you may not be able to work in the state of your choice. I don't recommend the agency we used so I won't mention them on here.

I would say if you are still interested in coming state side work on getting your priority date which means applying to a state to take NCLEX by endorsement and getting your credentials evaluated by the CGFNS apply to a state that you hope to work to save money in the future.

All the best

Lanyu Nov 30th 2020 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12941538)
You mean the practical assessment? Yes, I believe that does still have to be done in Canada, most people just combine it with a recce trip. The big advantage of Canada is the visa side of things though, no job offer required usually, and you can live wherever you like, unlike the US. And far quicker, looks as though from a previous post it took you 8.5 years to go through the process?! Wowser. 6 months or less for a Canadian Skilled Worker PR app.

Yes it did 8.5 years could have been slightly quicker if we didn't have to find a sponsor for our green cards after UNC cancelled all international contracts. We looked at Vancouver and it wasn't an easy process especially since we had already invested in US