Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newborn son (US) travelling back to UK with UK passport

Newborn son (US) travelling back to UK with UK passport

Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice
Default Newborn son (US) travelling back to UK with UK passport

My wife and I both have Perm Residency in USA.... Son born in July...back to UK for vacation...due to money and what we thought probs entering UK (with him having US p'port and us UK) went the UK route. Now informed that he may struggle re-entering the USA...He has a social, birth cert.... we leave on Xmas Eve and rtn 4th Jan... any suggetsions
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newborn son (US) travelling back to UK with UK passport

Originally Posted by Teach3r
My wife and I both have Perm Residency in USA.... Son born in July...back to UK for vacation...due to money and what we thought probs entering UK (with him having US p'port and us UK) went the UK route. Now informed that he may struggle re-entering the USA...He has a social, birth cert.... we leave on Xmas Eve and rtn 4th Jan... any suggetsions
Get him a US passport on an expedited basis. You can get them in 24 hours if you are located near Washington DC, or contact a passport expediter and get it fedex'd probably in time for your trip (heck you might even get it fedex'd overseas).

Technically, as a US citizen, they are required to enter the US on a US passport. If they are entering on a UK passport, would they have the legal right to stay (i.e. do they have a green card?). It used to be in some countries all you didn't need a passport if you were an infant but I think that's changed in recent years.

NOTE: This isn't going to be cheap.

google 'passport expedited' for more info. NOTE: You will probably need an expeditor service to hand deliver, wait for, and return the passport to you, rather than relying on the government's expedited service. (Hmmm, wonder if they could get one in the UK at the embassy)

Last edited by penguinsix; Dec 20th 2008 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Too late...I would think. Hopefully the airline won't notice and you'll be allowed to board the flight.

BTW, there's no problem using both passports.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Get him a US passport on an expedited basis. You can get them in 24 hours if you are located near Washington DC, or contact a passport expediter and get it fedex'd probably in time for your trip (heck you might even get it fedex'd overseas).

Technically, as a US citizen, they are required to enter the US on a US passport. If they are entering on a UK passport, would they have the legal right to stay (i.e. do they have a green card?). It used to be in some countries all you didn't need a passport if you were an infant but I think that's changed in recent years.

NOTE: This isn't going to be cheap.

google 'passport expedited' for more info. NOTE: You will probably need an expeditor service to hand deliver, wait for, and return the passport to you, rather than relying on the government's expedited service. (Hmmm, wonder if they could get one in the UK at the embassy)
ummm.... he's more american than we r!!!! If only the UK embassy hadn't taken 10 weeks to issue it!!! It only arrived today with a letter stating that we should apply for his US one!!!!!Think too late for the expedite service....will prob have to visit immigation when arrive back in Tampa ... bugger
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:50 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Expedited service is same day or 24 hours from the expeditors. You could have it Tuesday morning if you got the documents to them Saturday. A USPS express mail (saturday pickup) would get to them Monday and they could walk it over, getting it back later that day and fedex'd to you by Tuesday, or sent overseas and you could pick it up back home.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Expedited service is same day or 24 hours from the expeditors. You could have it Tuesday morning if you got the documents to them Saturday. A USPS express mail (saturday pickup) would get to them Monday and they could walk it over, getting it back later that day and fedex'd to you by Tuesday, or sent overseas and you could pick it up back home.
can i go to miami and get one the same day?... http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...first_831.html

Last edited by Teach3r; Dec 20th 2008 at 2:57 am. Reason: website added
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:09 am

I honestly don't know, but you should call the 877 number (probably automated) and make an appointment

MIAMI Passport Agency
Claude Pepper Federal Office Building
51 SW First Avenue
3rd Floor
Miami, FL 33130-1680
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: 1-877-487-2778

NOTE: Miami Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

I honestly don't know, but you should call the 877 number (probably automated) and make an appointment

MIAMI Passport Agency
Claude Pepper Federal Office Building
51 SW First Avenue
3rd Floor
Miami, FL 33130-1680
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: 1-877-487-2778

NOTE: Miami Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.
yeh got that... even looked at US embassy in UK for temp passport but no appts! Dammm...could b interesting when rtn if dont go expedite way as we both have work on the Monday!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:20 am

yeh got that... even looked at US embassy in UK for temp passport but no appts! Dammm...could b interesting when rtn if dont go expedite way as we both have work on the Monday!
I don't think it is a walk in walk out service. It's a hurry up and wait thing (which is why expeditors get the fee). There are several expeditors in Miami (so says google). Give them a ring tomorrow and maybe you can get some answers from them who have done it before.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

I don't think it is a walk in walk out service. It's a hurry up and wait thing (which is why expeditors get the fee). There are several expeditors in Miami (so says google). Give them a ring tomorrow and maybe you can get some answers from them who have done it before.
Update for anyone else who may need this...if you are travelling with a minor under the age of 16 both parents/guardians need to go to a Passport agency ... it cannot be mailed direct to passport control... these facilties are ONLY open on Monday - friday and norm are post offices or Courts. The fee as of 12/08 is $145 which includes $60 for quick service...but does not include rtn service - overnight not sure about price!!!! So looks like we will be athe post office first thing am on Monday, pay for a overnight delivery of form and see whether or not they can get it back to us by Wednesday (doubtful but you never know!!). If it comes after that date then we have 2 options 1) our neighbour and have it on hand if rqd or 2) he will mail it to UK - which should hopefully suffice. Anyhow...thanks for all your replies and HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If it comes after that date then we have 2 options 1) our neighbour and have it on hand if rqd or 2) he will mail it to UK - which should hopefully suffice. Anyhow...thanks for all your replies and HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
Err...no....you have ONE option. Getting it FedExd to the UK.

How exactly is one of you going to enter the UK then get back airside to give the passport to your other half?

And how do you know that your kid will even be allowed to board the plane in the UK without the appropriate documentation?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Err...no....you have ONE option. Getting it FedExd to the UK.

How exactly is one of you going to enter the UK then get back airside to give the passport to your other half?

And how do you know that your kid will even be allowed to board the plane in the UK without the appropriate documentation?
The prob is not UK side...its coming back to the USA after holiday....we have his birth cert. and social sec # which states he was born in USA July 23rd 2008 and we are his parents.... He is more of an American Citizen than we are ... when spoke to UK Embassy in Washington way back was informed in October that there would be no prob him having a UK passport as long as he gets a USA one when we become citizens next year (Sept 09)... Then the letter arrived with his passport which put doubt in my mind. When we rtn from USA will post what happened on our arrival back - if it comes to it I will stay in UK and go to USA London embassy to arrange ER passport for rtn....

Last edited by Teach3r; Dec 21st 2008 at 3:54 am. Reason: update
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Get his passport piccies ready to go.
http://www.epassportphoto.com/
I'd have the neighbor send it priority to the UK for you so you don't have trouble getting back in. Get the free cardboard envelope ready and addressed from the Post office and then they just have to shove the whole thing in without opening it. Give them some money to post it.
I trying to remember, but I think a signature was required for my passport when I got the new one this year, it was overnighted to me using FedEx Check to be sure.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Get the free cardboard envelope ready and addressed from the Post office and then they just have to shove the whole thing in without opening it.
Beware -- there are two packages! One contains the passport, the other contains the proof. Don't want them sending the wrong one!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Not offering any advice, but would like to congratulate you and your family on the new arrival!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.