British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newborn. How do I go about Getting Her Dual Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newborn-how-do-i-go-about-getting-her-dual-citizenship-772922/)

Wildandcrazy0525 Sep 27th 2012 6:09 am

Newborn. How do I go about Getting Her Dual Citizenship

Well as of 4 months ago, I'm a prod over the moon, Dad :). I've always wanted to have kids, but as time went by, had started giving up on the notion cause it just never seemed to be.

So when Nancy (Wifey) said so umm I'm sat in work wondering all of a sudden, what if I'm pregnant (about 2 minutes after I'd been sat in my work thinking to myself... hmm I wonder what Nancy would say if she ever did fall pregnant) and Yeup..... she was Pregnant :)

So May 18th, Nancy gave birth to our wonderful lil baby Abigail and man has life changed, But I digress

Nancy is a USC, I have Dual Citizenship (those that remember I came over back in Damn.... was it really 2003!! wow time flies :)) and Well Abigail's a lil USC too :)

What do I have to do to start the process for getting Abigail British Citizenship?

And I guess while I'm in full chatterbox mode... what do I do to so nancy can become a British Citizen too since we're married and all that.

Thanks in advance :)
Happy Proud Papa Graham

civilservant Sep 27th 2012 6:45 am

Re: Newborn. How do I go about Getting Her Dual Citizenship

Your wife cant become a UKC until she has resided in the UK for 5 years (it recently changed from 3 years for spouses) with an applicable visa - the fact she is married to one and has a UKC child is not relevant at all. More information could be found/requested over at our sister site for those in the UK

As for the child (congrats :)) then she is already a UKC by decent since her father is one, you do need to register her birth with the UK authorities though - or indeed, you could just go ahead and get her a UK Passport (although because child passports only last 5 years perhaps not the economic choice).

See here

Congrats again!

Manc Sep 27th 2012 12:58 pm

congrats mate.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

Jerseygirl Sep 27th 2012 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525 (Post 10302221)
Well as of 4 months ago, I'm a prod over the moon, Dad :). I've always wanted to have kids, but as time went by, had started giving up on the notion cause it just never seemed to be.

So when Nancy (Wifey) said so umm I'm sat in work wondering all of a sudden, what if I'm pregnant (about 2 minutes after I'd been sat in my work thinking to myself... hmm I wonder what Nancy would say if she ever did fall pregnant) and Yeup..... she was Pregnant :)

So May 18th, Nancy gave birth to our wonderful lil baby Abigail and man has life changed, But I digress

Nancy is a USC, I have Dual Citizenship (those that remember I came over back in Damn.... was it really 2003!! wow time flies :)) and Well Abigail's a lil USC too :)

What do I have to do to start the process for getting Abigail British Citizenship?

And I guess while I'm in full chatterbox mode... what do I do to so nancy can become a British Citizen too since we're married and all that.

Thanks in advance :)
Happy Proud Papa Graham

Congratulations.

Nice to hear from you again Graham. I am very pleased that things are working out for you. Please don't be a stranger. :fingerscrossed:

civilservant Sep 27th 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10302853)

That the exact link I posted already ;)

MarylandNed Sep 27th 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10302272)
As for the child (congrats :)) then she is already a UKC by decent since her father is one, you do need to register her birth with the UK authorities though - or indeed, you could just go ahead and get her a UK Passport (although because child passports only last 5 years perhaps not the economic choice).

See here

Congrats again!

Just a clarification here....he doesn't actually "need" to do anything. The child is a UKC by descent regardless of what action he takes - or even if he takes no action at all. I'm sure you probably realize this but what you typed is technically incorrect.

He may want to go through consular birth registration. Many here recommend it because of potential issues with using certain US birth certs (i.e. those which have been issued more than 3 months after birth) to prove UK citizenship. However, the child is a UKC by descent even if he doesn't register the birth with the UK authorities.

Obtaining a UK passport is also optional. Again the child's UK citizenship is unaffected by whether he obtains a UK passport for her or not.

Bob Sep 27th 2012 8:30 pm

Presuming the OP is a Brit citizen other wise than by descent, then yeah, the kid is a UK citizen.

If the OP is a UK citizen by descent, then the kid automatically isn't, but can be registered as such and have some other requirements to be met.

Wildandcrazy0525 Sep 30th 2012 6:06 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. and great information. Had no clue that Nancy wouldn't be able to get Citizenship, so that was a surprise.. Good to know though.

Thanks for the link for lil Abigail. Much appreciated.

Maybe now I've finished the remodel and the house is on the market I might be able to get back here a lil more often. Good to see a few friendly faces still around :D

Graham