Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie question, US to UK?

Newbie question, US to UK?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

sanslumiere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie question, US to UK?

Hello, stumbled across this forum while trying to find answers to my question, and although this might not be exactly the right place to post, I'd be interested in hearing responses from this knowledgeable and thoughtful group!

I'm a U.S. citizen, 22 years old, sort of close to finishing school but not as interested in the subjects as I used to be, and not in a huge hurry. (One of the things that set me back, incidentally, was doing a semester abroad in London. Best experience of my life, but my classes won't transfer.) I've got a full-time job in marketing but I've only been in it for about a year.

My question is, how hard would it be to immigrate to the UK without a degree? I'm definitely planning on finishing my schooling, I just don't know how quickly it's going to happen, and I'd like to spend some time living in, and more importantly, working in London, preferably as soon as possible. (Sooner than I'll finish the degree, anyway.) I'd appreciate your advice or experiences.

Also, if this is indeed the wrong place to be asking this, could you recommend a different forum or site? Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:34 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie question, US to UK?

Originally Posted by sanslumiere View Post
Hello, stumbled across this forum while trying to find answers to my question, and although this might not be exactly the right place to post, I'd be interested in hearing responses from this knowledgeable and thoughtful group!

I'm a U.S. citizen, 22 years old, sort of close to finishing school but not as interested in the subjects as I used to be, and not in a huge hurry. (One of the things that set me back, incidentally, was doing a semester abroad in London. Best experience of my life, but my classes won't transfer.) I've got a full-time job in marketing but I've only been in it for about a year.

My question is, how hard would it be to immigrate to the UK without a degree? I'm definitely planning on finishing my schooling, I just don't know how quickly it's going to happen, and I'd like to spend some time living in, and more importantly, working in London, preferably as soon as possible. (Sooner than I'll finish the degree, anyway.) I'd appreciate your advice or experiences.

Also, if this is indeed the wrong place to be asking this, could you recommend a different forum or site? Thanks!
Try UK-Yankees!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Try UK-Yankees!
Perfect, thank you!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

without a degree or a UKC spouse, it'll be pretty tough...

and without much experience it'll be pretty tough finding a sponsor...thought about studying over there? why can't you finish your degree there? always do a masters and get that done in a year...
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
without a degree or a UKC spouse, it'll be pretty tough...

and without much experience it'll be pretty tough finding a sponsor...thought about studying over there? why can't you finish your degree there? always do a masters and get that done in a year...
What's involved with sponsorship? I have a boyfriend in London, a ton of friends and even a handful of professional contacts over there.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's involved with sponsorship? I have a boyfriend in London, a ton of friends and even a handful of professional contacts over there.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1018721068127

employer does the sponsoring...not exactly cheap, but a hell of a lot easier than getting one for the US
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

If you graduated recently, you could try BUNAC. It's a 6 month work visa for Americans. www.bunac.org
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/arti...=41000&a=41030

The requirements for unmarried partner settlement Entry Clearance cases are as follows:

* The applicant is the unmarried partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom, or is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; and
* Any previous marriage (or similar relationship) by either partner has permanently broken down; and
* The parties have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage which has subsisted for two years or more; and
* There will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and
* The parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependents adequately without recourse to public funds; and
* The parties intend to live together permanently.

Entry clearance when issued is usually valid for a 24 month period and good for multiple entry. Applications should therefore be submitted only when you have specific plans to settle in the United Kingdom with your partner.