British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newbie Question.Customs Shipping Inventory List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newbie-question-customs-shipping-inventory-list-927602/)

Rayrosher Aug 31st 2019 11:20 am

Newbie Question.Customs Shipping Inventory List

Hi all been on the group a while Been looking for answers to some questions
So I have some questions regarding Customs, when shipping to the USA.
I found the Girl of my Dreams and have made the decision to move to the USA. Baltimore MD area
Been looking at shipping my personal Items once I get Immigration status.
Were looking at a Marriage Visa. as we planned on getting married anyway, this seems like the most logical way to go.
I also plan on applying for full citizenship.I'm in my 50's.
I got messed about by a shipping company here in the UK that promised to be the cheapest around turns out. Turns out they are one of the most expensive. I was quoted nearly £7000 for 550cubic feet and a Motorcycle crate.
So here's what I'm doing! as I can't ship my items until I get a Social Security Number without incurring import charges or so I have been told.
My Friend has a secure Yard with security and all that, I have bought a small secure box van Body and plan on putting my shipping boxes and crates into the van and secure locking them until I can get the items shipped to me,
I plan on putting the Customs list that you can view, in each box with Items listed, and having copies of the list for each box for the exporter. The Boxes are 3cu ft, and 5cu ft, with some wooden plywood crates for my tools and heavier items,
A friend suggested that I just take half of a 20-foot Shipping Container and get it shipped myself,

so here are the questions
Does the list look like it will be ok for USA and UK customs
do I need to date and sign the customs forms form the day I seal them in the container? will the date be a problem as they will be securely stored for possibly a year
do I need to put a weight on each carton?
what do I need to put on the outside of each box with regards to an identifier?
what other information will a shipping agent need besides the customs inventory?
Thanks In advance

Below I have done an Inventory List for Customs (word Doc)

Rete Aug 31st 2019 11:43 am

Re: Newbie Question.Customs Shipping Inventory List

A little early to worry about shipping and customs. The Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1 / CR-1) is the marriage visa you are referring to. After you come to the US under the ESTA/VWP, get married, return to the UK, it will be 16 - 20 months before you will have the visa. I have not outlined the numerous steps you both need to accomplishment to get the visa interview at the US Embassy.

Years ago you needed a visa in your passport to have the contents released to you in the US.

TexanScot Aug 31st 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rayrosher (Post 12729746)
I also plan on applying for full citizenship.

You're normally not eligible for naturalization until you've been a Permanent Resident for 5 years, which is reduced to 3 years if you're married to a US Citizen.

£7000 for 550cubic feet and a Motorcycle crate.
Unless it has sentimental value, I honestly wouldn't bother with the expense and hassle of shipping a motorcycle - you'll need to get it converted for the roads here, plus the hassle of registering a foreign import.

so here are the questions
Honestly it's a little bit like putting the cart ahead of the horse. It's going to take you a significant amount of time - between one and two years - before you will have a visa and even be in a position to think about this.

Rayrosher Aug 31st 2019 11:53 pm

Hi yes I know about the reduced time from 5 to 3 years if we are married.
But I was under, the understanding, that once I applied for the Marriage Visa, it could take up to ten months to go through? Maybe less.. but once this was approved I would get permission to work and would be able to Import my personal items without import penalties.

As for the Motorcycle, it's over 25 years old, so would come under the vintage heading..

Rayrosher Sep 1st 2019 12:00 am

Actually we were told by the solicitor who deals with immigration, that when I move to the USA this year, after two months of being in the USA we get married, then put the immigration paperwork in place, and I basically stay there under my wife and her mother's sponsorship until I'm approved. was told this could take up to ten months. after that my Immigration 3 years starts..

Nutmegger Sep 1st 2019 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Rayrosher (Post 12729911)
Actually we were told by the solicitor who deals with immigration, that when I move to the USA this year, after two months of being in the USA we get married, then put the immigration paperwork in place, and I basically stay there under my wife and her mother's sponsorship until I'm approved. was told this could take up to ten months. after that my Immigration 3 years starts..

So you are talking about a fiancé visa, not a spouse visa. If you haven’t started your application yet, you are unlikely to be approved to move to the US this year. But once you enter on the fiancé visa (the K-1), you can marry immediately, there is no two month wait involved. I think you are somewhat confused about the process and should do some serious reading on this site. You can’t just up and move here.