Reload this Page >

Newbie - Plymouth Michigan

Newbie - Plymouth Michigan

Old Mar 20th 2021, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Didiowen86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie - Plymouth Michigan

Hi there - I’m Diane and a newbie.
hopefully this is in right place but please advise if not...

My husband is currently in discussions about a possible relocation to Plymouth, Michigan. This is the second time we’ve been in such discussions and it seems much more likely this time. We have a son- who is just 14 weeks old. Husband and I are in mid 30’s.

We previously visited last January (pre covid) and got to see some areas and feel the snow and cold weather etc. So that’s not a concern for us. We have also previously been relocated (in uk to uk) and rebuild our life etc so I know we can do it and adapt but we have been in current position for 12 years so this time it feels different, as we have a baby And it’s to the USA!!

I saw a thread about Michigan but this was from a few years ago so wondering if anyone can offer up any advice around living in Michigan and more specifically around Plymouth area- as given sons age I’d be out of work initially and would Like to see about getting him into a nursery or equivalent at some stage. Any advice on how or what to look out for?! I’m a little worried about being isolated- so are there any local expat groups or communities I could join to start building new relationships?!

much appreciated
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie - Plymouth Michigan

Originally Posted by Didiowen86

My husband is currently in discussions about a possible relocation to Plymouth, Michigan. This is the second time we’ve been in such discussions and it seems much more likely this time. We have a son- who is just 14 weeks old. Husband and I are in mid 30’s.

We previously visited last January (pre covid) and got to see some areas and feel the snow and cold weather etc. So that’s not a concern for us. We have also previously been relocated (in uk to uk) and rebuild our life etc so I know we can do it and adapt but we have been in current position for 12 years so this time it feels different, as we have a baby And it’s to the USA!!

I saw a thread about Michigan but this was from a few years ago so wondering if anyone can offer up any advice around living in Michigan and more specifically around Plymouth area- as given sons age I’d be out of work initially and would Like to see about getting him into a nursery or equivalent at some stage. Any advice on how or what to look out for?! I’m a little worried about being isolated- so are there any local expat groups or communities I could join to start building new relationships?!

much appreciated
I don’t have any first hand knowledge but there are several posters on this site that live in Michigan. I was curious as what part of Michigan Plymouth was in and came across a reference that Plymouth was voted as the best place to live in the US in 2009 so it can’t be too bad. Was also cited to have a very low crime rate. The biggest fault most find with Michigan is the cold weather and you have no problem with that which will be a big plus.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 10:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a little worried about being isolated- so are there any local expat groups or communities I could join to start building new relationships?!
Welcome to BE! I can't help you with MI, but I wanted to say don't limit yourself to looking for expat groups. Interested in gardening? Join the local gardening group. Look for "mommy and me" events at the library. Join a reading circle. Love animals? Help out at the local shelter. In other words, look for groups who are interested in the things that you are interested in and you'll be surprised how quickly you will make local friends who will be very willing to show you around and support you in your new city. People here are very friendly -- and your Brit accent is a magnet as soon as you open your mouth! Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Didiowen86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

and thanks for the advice- lovely ideas I hadn’t considered.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 5:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

much appreciated

I hadn't heard of the place (I'm in Chicago, state next door), but I see it's more or less a suburb of Detroit and about halfway between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Detroit, against all odds, is undergoing something of a revival so will provide you with some cultural opportunities and other things to do that little Plymouth may not. Detroit is getting quite the food, music, and arts scene going. It is gentrifying, so it won't end up being what it was before its prolonged recession, but it will stop being a ghost town.

https://detroit.curbed.com/maps/bigg...roit-transform

Ann Arbor is home to the main branch of the University of Michigan, so there is interesting stuff to do there as well, and when Covid dies down you can go to a uni football game and get the full-on American experience.

You are also quite handy for trips to Canada, although perhaps not its most exciting parts.