Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie Moving to Tennessee

Newbie Moving to Tennessee

Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newbie Moving to Tennessee

Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a little while and find the information on here gold! Great stuff. Well, just a little post to indroduce myself as Lee from Birmingham, I'm moving to Middle Tennessee not too far from Nashville.

We're well into our K-1 process it has almost been 10 months since we applied and I'm really hoping to have some certainty "soon", whatever soon means?! LOL.

Ta'ra a bit
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Moving to Tennessee

Hello Lee,
Nice to hear of a fellow Brummie moving to TN. I'm a couple of hours east of Nashville in Knoxville.
Which part of Brum are you from?
(Bring bacon and sausages!)
- Tony
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
Hello Lee,
Nice to hear of a fellow Brummie moving to TN. I'm a couple of hours east of Nashville in Knoxville.
Which part of Brum are you from?
(Bring bacon and sausages!)
- Tony
Yeah, the TSA will LOVE those for dinner after they've taken them from you!!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:36 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Middle Tennessee must be the place to be for Brummies.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Well if anyone knows Birmingham, I was brought up in Handsworth, moved to Aston then to Kingstanding. I'm a Brummie, but mostly I've been living as a Yam Yam in Walsall since graduating from Wolves Uni.

There seems to be some strong links between where I come from and where I'm going. When I've been in TN I've noticed roads like Rosa Parks Blvd and Martin Luther King Highway, and coming from Handsworth, we did a lot at school about the civil rights movement. We seem to love Elvis too in the Midlands, a lot! A couple of my fave artists have recorded in Nashville, Lucie Silvas and Sandi Thom and then David Ford recorded in Memphis.

I stayed in Clarksville and had a ride out to Kentucky to see the Armish

I'm enjoying Nashville on More4 at the moment, lots of familiar scenes, I've walked down Broadway and visited the Loveless Cafe already and we have friends dotted about Middle Tennessee.

I have a couple of useful links:
- www.theyamyam.com (midlands community news site I helped create)
- www.wsmv.com

Channel 4 Nashville have live stream online watchable in the UK and when it's not showing the news it's showing the weather radar, which as you can imagine is important in that part of the world.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Yeah, the TSA will LOVE those for dinner after they've taken them from you!!
I'm from Handsworth but am living in Walsall at the moment.

Ah but it's not bacon, our bacon is apparently "country ham" to Tennessean's. In fairness their bacon really is bacon, the best BLT I've ever had was from Hardee's and Sonic's bacon is pretty awesome too. Bacon in your baked beans that was a new one on me, so too were hush puppies and catfish

I was held by TSA in Newark last time and was tempted to offer up some Jammie Dodgers! Jammie Dodgers are on sale in Publix along with Sarsons vinegar but they stopped selling crumpets.

Last edited by tennesseestud; Mar 14th 2013 at 4:23 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Well, then I have to disown you.

Not just because you're a Brummie (which is good enough reason on its own!), but because you think American bacon is good!

...and not only that, but FAST FOOD bacon at that!!!!

Best things to come out of Brum are Baltis and the M6 South!

Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

PalmTrees is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Nashville and The Pancake Pantry does THE best bacon sarnies in the world (not too keen on their pancakes though!)
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Well technically I'm a fully fledged Yam Yam these days having lived in the Black Country just as long as I did in Brum.

It was Arby's come to think of it where I had that BLT. Sonic is amazing

Pancake Pantry, I will keep that in mind
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

An ex-Walsall Tennesseean here also. I'm out in Maryville, in east TN.
I was refereeing a football (soccer) tournament last weekend and met a coach from Wolvo. Good luck with your move, let me know if you need help or advice with anything.
Oh and fast food bacon...really?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Do you work with horses or are you like Oliver Tobias?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Do you work with horses or are you like Oliver Tobias?
Would need to move a state north for the former so I guess it's the latter....dayamn!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Would need to move a state north for the former so I guess it's the latter....dayamn!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tennesseestud
I'm from Handsworth but am living in Walsall at the moment.

Ah but it's not bacon, our bacon is apparently "country ham" to Tennessean's. In fairness their bacon really is bacon, the best BLT I've ever had was from Hardee's and Sonic's bacon is pretty awesome too.Bacon in your baked beans that was a new one on me, so too were hush puppies and catfish

I was held by TSA in Newark last time and was tempted to offer up some Jammie Dodgers! Jammie Dodgers are on sale in Publix along with Sarsons vinegar but they stopped selling crumpets.

Are you talking about Pork and Beans? If so that is just "fat" from pork..totally gross
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tennesseestud
Well technically I'm a fully fledged Yam Yam these days having lived in the Black Country just as long as I did in Brum.

It was Arby's come to think of it where I had that BLT. Sonic is amazing

Pancake Pantry, I will keep that in mind
With a diet like that, you'll be joining those within the 32% obesity rate in your state PDQ! Watch out heart!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.