British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newbie - moving to Chicago (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newbie-moving-chicago-819421/)

powerslave Dec 26th 2013 6:40 pm

Newbie - moving to Chicago

Hello!

Just a quick introduction - I've been lurking for a few months over the course of my visa application. Now I'm all sorted and making the move to Chicago on 10th January. It's suddenly very real and I'm feeling a bit wobbly so I thought I would make contact :)

I'm an early career scientist and I've got a postdoctoral position at a University - coming over on a H1B visa. My husband will be on a H4 but he's staying in the UK for a few months to earn some money. So, I'm moving over on my own. A bit daunting but I'm approaching it with a gung-ho attitude an my new boss has been very supportive. I'm very grateful for all the information I've absorbed from these forums since I started lurking!

Thanks all

Siobhan

Guindalf Dec 26th 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Newbie - moving to Chicago

Welcome to BE and 'grats on the position.

Fire away with any more specific questions. As you've already seen, there's a wealth on information available and most situations have been experienced and there are few questions that, between us, we can't answer!

(just try to stay away from some of the more, er, rambunctious members!! ;))

powerslave Dec 27th 2013 10:25 am

Many thanks Guindalf, very kind of you.

civilservant Dec 27th 2013 10:34 am

Uncontrollably exuberant? Not sure that's how I'd describe them :)

Pulaski Dec 27th 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by powerslave (Post 11051800)
...... I'm all sorted and making the move to Chicago on 10th January. .....

If you don't have a thick coat, buy yourself one, now! ..... A thicker coat than you have ever imagined you'd need. :)

powerslave Dec 27th 2013 5:35 pm

Yup, I keep hearing that :ohmy: Operation 'find a good coat' over the next week

Sally Redux Dec 27th 2013 5:42 pm

Hi!

Does your username refer to the videogame? Probably not, as it has a different name in the UK.

powerslave Dec 27th 2013 5:50 pm

Hiya!

Nope, it's an Iron Maiden album/song :) and I believe the US video game might have been so named as a nod to the Iron Maiden release (husband is a retro gamer nut) - both egyptian themed I think.

Sally Redux Dec 27th 2013 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by powerslave (Post 11052679)
Hiya!

Nope, it's an Iron Maiden album/song :) and I believe the US video game might have been so named as a nod to the Iron Maiden release (husband is a retro gamer nut) - both egyptian themed I think.

Right, makes sense. It's a good game!

My husband is also a scientist at a university.

thephionex Dec 27th 2013 6:17 pm

You moving to the city or the boonies that are the suburbs cause it is way colder than in in England

Pulaski Dec 27th 2013 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by powerslave (Post 11052655)
Yup, I keep hearing that :ohmy: Operation 'find a good coat' over the next week

Try LLBean.com..... not the cheapest, but a great range of seriously warm winter coats and other clothing.

Hotscot Dec 27th 2013 8:29 pm

Thick skin and thick coat, in that order:)
Welcome.

powerslave Dec 28th 2013 11:52 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! :)