British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newbie move to California (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newbie-move-california-828701/)

mgirli Mar 16th 2014 6:50 am

Newbie move to California

My husband has agreed to work for Apple in California. He has just this second been granted an 01 visa. We are both so terribly excited and petrified at the same time.
I have two children 9 & 14, not sure about schools or how they will fit in - new environment, new everything.
I have worked all my adult life, I'm terribly worried once the children are settled into a routine - there's nothing for me to do. I don't think I can earn a salary in any capacity. The children and I will be on 03 visa's for studying only.

I'm 43 years old settled and happy in the UK, obviously not foolish enough to walk away from such a fabulous opportunity. Any advise on settling in, and maybe pointers on how to keep busy without a day to day job would be a godsend.

I very much look forward to hearing from you

Trixie_b Mar 16th 2014 7:03 am

Re: Newbie move to California

Where will you be located?

mgirli Mar 16th 2014 7:15 am

San Francisco

Trixie_b Mar 16th 2014 7:25 am

in my opinion, San Fransisco has a very European feel. It's expensive, especially housing, but there are plenty of things to do and see.

Your children may have a difficult transition to the school system, especially the 14 year old.

I don't have children, but volunteer with children, and recently I've had 2 families who's children have experienced difficulties with the testing in schools

md95065 Mar 16th 2014 7:26 am

Is he actually going to be working in San Francisco as opposed to Cupertino or is that just where you intend to live?

If you search the forums here you will find quite a few threads about relocating to the Bay Area.

mgirli Mar 16th 2014 7:30 am

My husband will be working in Cupertino but we will live in SF

Lucybell33 Mar 16th 2014 10:34 am

Congratulations! We're in an almost identical situation to you - down to the employer, my age and number of children!!

When are you moving over? We're moving over in the summer. I'm not planning to work either, and have been advised that there will be plenty to keep me busy, e.g. shopping, enjoying the outdoor scenery, helping out at school, etc.

Check out greatschools.org for loads of helpful info on local schools.

I have to say, I wouldn't fancy SF itself with children. We're looking at the East Bay - it's a bit of a commute, but Apple run lots of buses with wifi, AC etc, so that will help, and it's a lot cheaper, lots of good schools and family-orientated communities.

Let me know if you have any questions - I've done loads of research and know a couple of other Apple wives, so happy to help if I can!

Beaverstate Mar 16th 2014 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Lucybell33 (Post 11175257)
Congratulations! We're in an almost identical situation to you - down to the employer, my age and number of children!!

When are you moving over? We're moving over in the summer. I'm not planning to work either, and have been advised that there will be plenty to keep me busy, e.g. shopping, enjoying the outdoor scenery, helping out at school, etc.

Check out greatschools.org for loads of helpful info on local schools.

I have to say, I wouldn't fancy SF itself with children. We're looking at the East Bay - it's a bit of a commute, but Apple run lots of buses with wifi, AC etc, so that will help, and it's a lot cheaper, lots of good schools and family-orientated communities.

Let me know if you have any questions - I've done loads of research and know a couple of other Apple wives, so happy to help if I can!

Good call, downtown San Francisco isn't really for kids, dogs maybe;)

penguinsix Mar 16th 2014 1:15 pm

Here is our primer on schools.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F

Schools in some areas of Silicon Valley are very competitive, especially in Cupertino. In contrast some areas of San Fran proper are struggling such that you might be considering private schools as an option. Really will depend exactly on where you are living.

I'd also budget for two cars, as one will be gone all day with your husband and you'll probably need another to get around. San Fran does have some neighbourhoods and public transit, but you'll probably want the freedom to do what you want when you want instead of waiting for the bus.

Michael Mar 16th 2014 1:31 pm

Are you sure you want to live in San Francisco? It is the coldest location in the bay area with the fog often covering the city especially during the summer. Schools also are not that great except in select districts.

California School Performance Map

Although the Cupertino School district is ranked very high, it very competitive with a lot of Tiger moms. Palo Alto is very nice, has a good central district along University avenue across from Stanford University, good weather, short commute to Apple, and very good schools.

Sally Redux Mar 16th 2014 4:14 pm

N1cky moved from LA to that area and likes it a lot better.

The school system is quite different and your 14-year-old may need some reassurance.

SanDiegogirl Mar 17th 2014 1:01 am

Working in Cupertino I, personally, would not live in SF but rather in somewhere like Palo Alto, Cupertino itself, Los Gatos and areas around.

Great schools in the area, good housing (expensive) and plenty of activities, for both you and the children.

I'm assuming that since hubby has an 01 - someone of exceptional talent - that his salary is going to be exceptional too, so you should be able to afford these areas.

I lived in Silicon Valley for a year and must admit loved Palo Alto, Los Gatos area.

penguinsix Mar 17th 2014 1:17 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11176004)
Working in Cupertino I, personally, would not live in SF but rather in somewhere like Palo Alto, Cupertino itself, Los Gatos and areas around.

Great schools in the area, good housing (expensive) and plenty of activities, for both you and the children.

I'm assuming that since hubby has an 01 - someone of exceptional talent - that his salary is going to be exceptional too, so you should be able to afford these areas.

I lived in Silicon Valley for a year and must admit loved Palo Alto, Los Gatos area.

I was actually going to suggest something similar. Palo Alto and some of the other areas are nice little towns in Silicon Valley with exceptional schools and a bit of activity. If you are coming from London you may find yourself a bit bored by not being in a big city, but if you are in a suburban environment now then moving to a Silicon Valley town will not be that much of a change.

You might want to take a pre-move visit and look at what you get for your $$ in San Fran and different communities in the Valley and then make a decision from there. Of course if you want or need 'city living' than there is basically only one city, but if you are looking for a different lifestyle there are a few options with less time wasted in the car.

mgirli Mar 17th 2014 6:46 am

Wow, thank you so much.
We may start off in SF, and see how we get on - I kind of liked the idea of city living. I've been told a lot of areas in the bay area is very sanitised, which doesn't appeal to me - I like to see cultural diversity.
It's all very daunting but terribly exciting. I'm worried about my 14 yr old fitting in, difficult age to make friends etc...
I'm not sure what happens next, I think we all have to go and get our passports stamped at the us embassy in London. I'm sure the ball will start rolling pretty quickly after that.

Cape Blue Mar 17th 2014 7:49 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...chool_District

Plenty of kids seem to manage in SF.