Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie just starting out

Newbie just starting out

Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

LiveUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newbie just starting out

I've finally decided to take the plunge and to set the wheels in motion for a move to the USA. From the research I've done so far the EB-5 visa seems to hold the most hope but I'm starting to get stuck on where to get the best information for a whole host of things that I'll need to help avoid the pitfalls - so I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help point me in the right direction.

As far as the visa itself goes I think I have found a firm of lawyers here in the UK that will advise on what needs to be done and the best way to do it. But what about the rest? How do you find a good CPA in your destiantion city (in my case LA) that you can use for all the financial planning that needs to be done - eg. evaluations on the investments for the EB-5, advice on US federal and state taxes (especially property taxes) and advice on all other financial matters? I'm sure I want to move to the US but I need to make sure that it all makes financial sense before I go ahead.

Having spent most of my holidays (or should I call them vacations now? ) for the last 10 years in various parts of the US the one thing I'm sure of is that their systems are very different to what we have back here in the UK so good advice is an absolute must for me. Any help at all would really be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance for any replies
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie just starting out

Originally Posted by LiveUSA
I've finally decided to take the plunge and to set the wheels in motion for a move to the USA. From the research I've done so far the EB-5 visa seems to hold the most hope but I'm starting to get stuck on where to get the best information for a whole host of things that I'll need to help avoid the pitfalls - so I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help point me in the right direction.

As far as the visa itself goes I think I have found a firm of lawyers here in the UK that will advise on what needs to be done and the best way to do it. But what about the rest? How do you find a good CPA in your destiantion city (in my case LA) that you can use for all the financial planning that needs to be done - eg. evaluations on the investments for the EB-5, advice on US federal and state taxes (especially property taxes) and advice on all other financial matters? I'm sure I want to move to the US but I need to make sure that it all makes financial sense before I go ahead.

Having spent most of my holidays (or should I call them vacations now? ) for the last 10 years in various parts of the US the one thing I'm sure of is that their systems are very different to what we have back here in the UK so good advice is an absolute must for me. Any help at all would really be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance for any replies
I cant help you with your questions, but there is a US Visas page on BE that may offer more help, http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34
I wish you luck and hope your application and visa process goes smoothly (if it does you will probably be the first!) ha
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I've finally decided to take the plunge and to set the wheels in motion for a move to the USA............I'm sure I want to move to the US ......... Having spent most of my holidays (or should I call them vacations now? ) for the last 10 years in various parts of the US..........

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

but basically you mightbe overplanning this ...
Umm ..Well first you need the prospectus of whichever scheme you intend to use ...but more to the point is you may be overplanning ...
your just buying a green card .,..
Can't think of any Law firm in the UK I would use for an EB-5
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

TorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really nice

We have a terrific British accountant in San Diego (which is 2 hours south of LA), who has both his American and British credentials. I'd be happy to recommend him ... or you could contact the British-American Business Council of Los Angeles, as I'm sure they have members who would be qualified to help.

As a matter of interest, how do you find out who is offering an EB-5 so you know what plans are available to you? I've never found one central place where they are listed.

I ask -- in the spirit of full disclosure -- because my firm is offering an EB-5, but I haven't a clue how to promote it to potential applicants. There must be a central clearing house ... ??? Our attorneys tell me it's my problem to solve.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TorquayGal
As a matter of interest, how do you find out who is offering an EB-5 so you know what plans are available to you? I've never found one central place where they are listed.
Google is your friend ...

and for your own..advertise ...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

TorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really niceTorquayGal is just really nice

Thanks, Ray -- that may account for why so few EB-5s are taken up every year. Nobody knows how to find them.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:41 pm
Ray

Thanks, Ray -- that may account for why so few EB-5s are taken up every year. Nobody knows how to find them.
No its more the process is so long winded together, and the
fact that the origin of every penny with be investigated ..
and of course the legal eagles bleed you dry.....

The Consulates receive a lot more applications than they issue visas

the $500k is usually not the big problem

But by all mean put up the contact for your own EB-5
more info is always good for people
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We have a terrific British accountant in San Diego (which is 2 hours south of LA), who has both his American and British credentials. I'd be happy to recommend him ... or you could contact the British-American Business Council of Los Angeles, as I'm sure they have members who would be qualified to help.

I ask -- in the spirit of full disclosure -- because my firm is offering an EB-5, but I haven't a clue how to promote it to potential applicants. There must be a central clearing house ... ??? Our attorneys tell me it's my problem to solve.
Welcome to BE

Introduce yourself in the introduction section....we're quite nosey here!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:45 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Welcome to BE

What introduction section .....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:49 pm
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

I've finally decided to take the plunge and to set the wheels in motion for a move to the USA.

I'm sure I want to move to the US

Why ?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Welcome to BE

It was removed from us yonks ago for bad behaviour.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:59 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Bleedin Dingo's are always behind ....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Oops.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Bleedin Dingo's are always behind ....
Oy you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.