Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie hopefully moving to Atlanta

Newbie hopefully moving to Atlanta

Old Jun 1st 2016, 7:41 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie hopefully moving to Atlanta

By your logic the lowest rated schools are rated the lowest because it's higher than what they would have rated themselves before? Why wouldn't they just rate themselves the highest?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katzgar
By your logic the lowest rated schools are rated the lowest because it's higher than what they would have rated themselves before? Why wouldn't they just rate themselves the highest?
If you're incapable of seeing how schools massage the numbers, there's really no helping you.

I just explained a number of ways that schools can make themselves appear better than they do.

Not every school bothers, because they're not really all competing with other local towns and it's not going to turn a one score into a 10, but it can be the difference between a school getting a 6 and the exact same quality of school around the corner in the next town being a 8.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:08 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

so now you are saying they dont all massage the numbers?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

so now you are saying they dont all massage the numbers?
Not to the level you suggested.

If you can't grasp that, well.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:07 pm
Banned

In order for you to assert that those web sites are all about the massaged numbers you must have some sort of proof to assert that
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yes...and I know that they are.

It's all down to how the school district publish their numbers in such a way that I explained earlier. Everyone seems to know and understand this.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:52 pm
Banned

you have proof that school districts are cooking the numbers?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

you have proof that school districts are cooking the numbers?
It's often in the foot notes to the data, that they're excluding certain pupils, such as those whose first language isn't English, those who have been held back a year, those that missed more than x days of school. Aside from that, it is often painfully obvious when notoriously bad schools with poor overall graduation rates publish remarkably average performance stats.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 10:01 pm
Banned

That certainly is proof enough for me
Old Jun 1st 2016, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JP1975
ah ok, excellent.

My partners office will be in Duluth. Ive been doing some research of the surrounding area and it looks like Alpharetta, Johns Creek or Suwani are good areas to live.

Anybody have any insights or recommendations regarding these areas?
my niece is getting ready to enter the Johns Creek school system and I know they picked the area b/c of the schools which are supposed to be some of the highest rated in GA.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

JP1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SynAck
Long-time lurker, I registered just to respond to you.

I've been in Atlanta for nearly 17 years. While you're in town, we have the ENGvRUS Euro opener Saturday 11 June. Consider this your formal invitation, (along with any other Atl expats reading), to come watch with us at our lovely little pub, Brewhouse Cafe. It's owned and run by expats, caters to expats, and is the official bar for the Arsenal in Atlanta. You'll be able to meet myself and a few other Brits, Irish, Kiwi, and assorted other flavours who are always pleased to meet others and share our experience. Please, let us buy you and your partner a round. :-)

Our public transport (MARTA) is shit for getting around in-town. It doesn't go anywhere you need without a train, 2-3 buses, and a walk. The car trip that takes 15 minutes often takes an hour on MARTA. Uber is your best solution for getting around. I Uber everywhere so I never have to worry about traffic, parking, or having too many pints. Most things in central Atlanta are a $6-$12 Uber ride away, which is often what you'd pay for parking alone.

If you've any questions about Atlanta as your trip approaches, please ask! Hope to see you soon.
Hi, thanks very much for taking the time to join and respond, and thanks loads for the invite, much appreciated..... Although, an Arsenal Bar, as a Tottenham Fan Hmmmmm
May well join anyway though as, like you say, always good to meet locals and those in the know.
Will you be wearing a pink shirt with a yellow carnation and a sombrero?

Uber sounds like a good Idea. Would they operate in the suburbs i.e Johns Creek, Alpharetta etc and take us to Atlanta if we wanted to?

Last edited by JP1975; Jun 2nd 2016 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jess5377
my niece is getting ready to enter the Johns Creek school system and I know they picked the area b/c of the schools which are supposed to be some of the highest rated in GA.
Yes, this is one of the reasons we are looking at Johns Creek, the schools seem to have a great reputation. Thanks for responding.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:21 am
Just Joined

SynandAck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks very much for taking the time to join and respond, and thanks loads for the invite, much appreciated..... Although, an Arsenal Bar, as a Tottenham Fan Hmmmmm
May well join anyway though as, like you say, always good to meet locals and those in the know.
Will you be wearing a pink shirt with a yellow carnation and a sombrero?

Uber sounds like a good Idea. Would they operate in the suburbs i.e Johns Creek, Alpharetta etc and take us to Atlanta if we wanted to?
We have *one* Sp*r* fan and he's a good, albeit misled, lad. We might, perhaps tease you a bit about a certain 5-1 score but it's done with proper pub bant. Above all, a Brit is always welcome, regardless of how misguided. ;-)

If you're in Alpharetta, you're *quite* north. Take MARTA to a Midtown station and Uber from there. PM me for my # and I'm happy to direct you.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SynAck
We have *one* Sp*r* fan and he's a good, albeit misled, lad. We might, perhaps tease you a bit about a certain 5-1 score but it's done with proper pub bant. Above all, a Brit is always welcome, regardless of how misguided. ;-)

If you're in Alpharetta, you're *quite* north. Take MARTA to a Midtown station and Uber from there. PM me for my # and I'm happy to direct you.

Thanks Again. Once I figure out how to PM, ill drop you one.

Im sure I can handle the banter, i mean after all, half the England squad is Spurs anyway

Last edited by JP1975; Jun 3rd 2016 at 12:52 pm. Reason: When we visit, we'll actually be staying in Duluth, which I imagine is just as far East and Alpharetta is North?
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

SynandAck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Again. Once I figure out how to PM, ill drop you one.

Im sure I can handle the banter, i mean after all, half the England squad is Spurs anyway
It's summer and all that matters is they're English. It's all very kum ba yah.

Uber is available in the northern sections for getting around, although you'll find the traffic up there isn't nearly as bad as in-town. The sticky bit is that MARTA is not. As a transit system, it is truly horrid. The closest station to you is the North Springs station; you can see them here. It still may be the best solution if you want to avoid city traffic. Honestly tho, it's just a matter of being patient. There's always summer road construction so be it in your own car or an Uber, you'll do a bit of sitting. I get through loads of audiobooks and podcasts.