British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newbie hopefully moving to Atlanta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newbie-hopefully-moving-atlanta-878271/)

JP1975 Jun 1st 2016 8:26 am

Newbie hopefully moving to Atlanta

Hi all,

Ive just joined the group hoping to get some good information and advice about moving to the US, around Atlanta GA.

My partner has been offered a job with her company and we are going to do an exploration trip in a week or so.

Just wondered what everyone recommends we do while we are there?

We have two 4 year old boys so need to look at schools but not sure where to start with that and seem to be struggling to find contact emails for people at schools. Our boys are quite clever and are already reading extremely well, our concern is that they might be a bit ahead and get bored easily as, from what ive seen, kids in the US start school later

We are not currently married so is this something we should do before we go?

Ive been a full time Dad since our kids were born and I started a business on Amazon and Ebay to keep me sane. Im wondering if this is something I would be able to start in the US or whould I not be allowed to work?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Noorah101 Jun 1st 2016 1:19 pm

Re: Newbie hopefully moving to Atlanta

Yes, you will need to be legally married in order to get an L2 dependent visa.

Rene

Rete Jun 1st 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11961704)
Yes, you will need to be legally matured in order to get an L2 dependent visa.

Rene

LOL that is legally matured and Married ;-)

You are not eligible for an L2 unless you are married. Yes, you will be able to get employment authorized under the L2 so you can continue your amazon, ebay self-employment.

Children in the US normally start school at age 5 which is kindergarten. As for being ahead of others in their classes, many schools will work with the student and parent to keep the child interested and advancing. Not at all familiar with Atlanta schools. I can say that in Sleepy Hollow, NY they work beautifully with my almost 8 year old granddaughter who is in 2nd grade but who has been tested in reading and is at the highest level in the school system there which is "Z". This means her reading and comprehension is above high school level. The librarian works with her to get books from the high school that would be interesting and challenging for her. She has also been given the task, which she loves, with helping schoolmates learn to read.

One issue you need to find out is if the school the children goes to is one that is in their catchment or if you have a choice in which school they can attend. Normally it is the catchment. That being the case you need to research the schools once you get here and talk with the administrators and then choose your apartment or house in the school area you want the kids to attend.

Pulaski Jun 1st 2016 1:34 pm

You should have two priorities for housing - one is for good schools because, as is generally true everywhere in the US, school assignment is tied to your home address, so you should look for a home in the catchement area of good schools, and the other is for a reasonable commute for your wife because rush hour traffic congestion is legendary in Atlanta.

Bob Jun 1st 2016 1:46 pm

To add to the EAD, just be aware that there is a cost involved with it and that it takes up to 90 days to come through, where you can't work. You should see about getting the company to pay for this and the renewals.

katzgar Jun 1st 2016 1:54 pm

start with the schools. you can find many rating sites like this...
Public School Rankings - Education Ratings for Every School & District – NeighborhoodScout

american schools are designed around creativity and problem solving. Google makes rote memorization pointless in our minds. I bet a little looking may turn up a school based on the brit model.

Bob Jun 1st 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11961735)

american schools are designed around creativity and problem solving...

I don't know about that...it's mostly been about working to test scores from experience.

There's very little art/music humanities type stuff these days, out our way and where family teach all over Maine.

Rete Jun 1st 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11961735)
start with the schools. you can find many rating sites like this...
Public School Rankings - Education Ratings for Every School & District – NeighborhoodScout

american schools are designed around creativity and problem solving. Google makes rote memorization pointless in our minds. I bet a little looking may turn up a school based on the brit model.

Believe this is called CORE teaching. I was so against this in the beginning for my grandkids but I can now see the wisdom of it as in the second grade they are already learning the concept of algebra. So not such a bad thing after all. I still use my memorized times table daily at this advanced age though and it holds me in good stead.

JP1975 Jun 1st 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks so much guys, very helpful information :thumbsup:

Just a quick question, whats EAD?

Rete Jun 1st 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by JP1975 (Post 11961833)
Thanks so much guys, very helpful information :thumbsup:

Just a quick question, whats EAD?

Employment Authorization Document. Once you are inside of the US on your L2, you apply for the EAD by filing form I-765 with the USCIS. There is a cost for it but well worth it.

JP1975 Jun 1st 2016 3:01 pm

ah ok, excellent.

My partners office will be in Duluth. Ive been doing some research of the surrounding area and it looks like Alpharetta, Johns Creek or Suwani are good areas to live.

Anybody have any insights or recommendations regarding these areas?

katzgar Jun 1st 2016 3:27 pm

Duluth, MN? I hoped my post 6 would have inspired you to google some of the ratings websites.

katzgar Jun 1st 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11961757)
I don't know about that...it's mostly been about working to test scores from experience.

There's very little art/music humanities type stuff these days, out our way and where family teach all over Maine.

there will be plenty of examples of schools that arent cutting it but I am speaking in an overall perspective. You may infer that the link to school ratings means they are not all equal or there wouldnt be a need for ratings.

Bob Jun 1st 2016 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11961893)
Duluth, MN? I hoped my post 6 would have inspired you to google some of the ratings websites.

I thought that too at first, but there is one in Georgia.

Bob Jun 1st 2016 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by katzgar (Post 11961902)
there will be plenty of examples of schools that arent cutting it but I am speaking in an overall perspective. You may infer that the link to school ratings means they are not all equal or there wouldnt be a need for ratings.

Yes, but that website is also very skewed and doesn't explain the nuance to things either and best taken with a massive pinch of salt.

It's all about how school districts do things and how much money they have to massage the numbers to get a better score when the reality doesn't warrant it.