Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A newbie, feeling lost!

A newbie, feeling lost!

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A newbie, feeling lost!

Originally Posted by Lostman
Thanks for the welcoming.
I live in Edmond. The pub I mentioned is on Memorial near Quail Springs Mall and Red Lobster...Great place if you fancy fish and chips and a pint etc
I am hoping to catch a Tornado on film and send it home, I do think it is one of those things you have to see. I was shocked to see Tornado holidays on tv in the UK, one of those adventure holidays where you chase tornadoes, madness!

Here is the link to the Baker street pub and grill FYI.
http://www.bakerstreetpub.com/index2.shtm
Thanks for the info Lostman. Edmond, huh? I live waaaaaaaay over the other side of OKC, in Bethany. I'll have to check out the pub though when I go shopping at Quail this weekend (NOT!) ... who in their right mind would go to Quail Springs this weekend?
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas full of love, joy and peace.
ps: If you hurry you might be able to find some goodies left over at Canterbury's British Imports on 34th and Classen! They still had some boxes of Milk Tray a couple of days ago
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 10:07 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Well I have just moved to Oklahoma about 3 months ago on a k1 visa, just filing for green card now and work permit.

I was just wondering if anyone came to the USA to be with their girlfriend and marry her and if they suffered from homesickness, feeling of regret, sadness and worry that they made the wrong choice, especially as things are made harder by not being able to work etc. Well I feel like that and worry everyday about my decision! Is this normal?

Thanks!
Well Oklahoma is a toilet. There is a lot of other places to go. I moved to Hollywood CA when I first got here, hated it, planned to go home, stopped of in Atlanta and am still here (*** knows why)
Rob
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
Thanks for the info Lostman. Edmond, huh? I live waaaaaaaay over the other side of OKC, in Bethany. I'll have to check out the pub though when I go shopping at Quail this weekend (NOT!) ... who in their right mind would go to Quail Springs this weekend?
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas full of love, joy and peace.
ps: If you hurry you might be able to find some goodies left over at Canterbury's British Imports on 34th and Classen! They still had some boxes of Milk Tray a couple of days ago
Thanks for the heads up, will definatley check out Canterbury's. Hope you have a great Christmas too!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 12:39 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: A newbie, feeling lost!

Originally Posted by Elvira
When I'm really pissed off with the service or whatever, I do a Margot... (from the Good Life). It seems to intimidate people; I wonder why?
Ha ha ha.....I've always had this image in my mind of your pronounciation and speech actually sounding similar to Margot..... It must be the Home Counties accent, withering glances and facial expressions of disdain which the Americans find intimidating...

*Please* tell me that you don't dress in the same manner or have hairstyles like hers (can't remember her name) during 'Good Life' appearances as well as her 'sensible' clothes which she wore in 'To the Manor Born'....
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 1:40 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha ha.....I've always had this image in my mind of your pronounciation and speech actually sounding similar to Margot..... It must be the Home Counties accent, withering glances and facial expressions of disdain which the Americans find intimidating...

*Please* tell me that you don't dress in the same manner or have hairstyles like hers (can't remember her name) during 'Good Life' appearances as well as her 'sensible' clothes which she wore in 'To the Manor Born'...

Now this is interesting - you thinking I sound like Margot Leadbetter/Penelope Keith ............ whereas Tom imagined me as Kathy Burke! Internet forums can do funny things to perceptions... (I never got around to recording my voice - I'm hopeless with all things electronic; never even managed to listen to any of them...)

Actually, I probably look and sound most like (a somewhat younger) Helen Mirren. (Same razor-sharp mind as Jane Tennyson in Prime Suspect, but hopefully better sense of humour! )

But it's useful to have the Margot number (complete with withering glance etc but minus the clothes) as a back-up!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I have red hair, big boobs & an English accent, works for me everytime!!!
Thats the 2nd post I've read that you have big tits...how about posting a few pics on the BE photo gallery?
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
Thats the 2nd post I've read that you have big tits...how about posting a few pics on the BE photo gallery?
They have been there for sometime
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:55 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
They have been there for sometime
nah not like that....a page 3 type pic
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Well I have just moved to Oklahoma about 3 months ago on a k1 visa, just filing for green card now and work permit.

I was just wondering if anyone came to the USA to be with their girlfriend and marry her and if they suffered from homesickness, feeling of regret, sadness and worry that they made the wrong choice, especially as things are made harder by not being able to work etc. Well I feel like that and worry everyday about my decision! Is this normal?

Thanks!
Try to find some UK goodies, or food. Get Brit Newspaper. Watch BBC news. It won't take away the feeling homesickness, but may help give you a warm fuzzy moment.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 4:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Your just a sick pervert ..and no I'm not showing you the one's she sent me ..
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 4:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 photo's on there!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 4:36 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

You diiiirrrttttyyyy bugger, I'm a married woman & a mother, although I prefer the term MILF!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 4:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Ray
Your just a sick pervert ..and no I'm not showing you the one's she sent me ..
Thanx Ray, I knew you'd protect me!!!

PS - I hope you 'enjoyed' the photo's!
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:44 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
You need to focus on the good aspects of where you are now and not on the good aspects of where you came from. Remember the reasons why you left in the first place.

Once you feel at home on your new location you have the luxury to reminisce about decent fish 'n' chips or a vindaloo after the pubs close.

I have been to over 85 countries, having spent 26 years in the Merchant Navy, and my simple attitude is that home is where you rest your head at night, so get used to it ;-)